Cavendish Buildings West St

Stuart0742

This building has already been identified in the "Date Stones" topic as 1910

However other dates appear on this building 1907 and 1919, what do these dates refer to?

Does anybody know the history of the Cavendish Buildings

Guest lebourg

Hi, I worked in there in the early 70's. From West st you can see the pavement in 2 places turns into the building.

This was open fronted and was Kennings car hire.

There were also petrol pumps under the building.

Our workshop was at the back and the outside workshop door is now the Bah hoi on Mappin St.

At that time the upper 2 storys were empty but must have been used for cars as there was a car hoist up to the first floor. Guess the weight of the cars was too much for the structure.

Guest plain talker

We seem to have worked out, discussing this building in the date-stones thread, that the three different date stones relate to three phases of work done on the building, 2 pre WWI and the other post WWI.

It was very confusing!

Guest lebourg

We seem to have worked out, discussing this building in the date-stones thread, that the three different date stones relate to three phases of work done on the building, 2 pre WWI and the other post WWI.

It was very confusing!

Just found this photo.

The blue door to the left of Prestons was our workshop door.

Kennings car hire workshop

Office furniture

Sheffield Motor Company

Streetview

St view

On streetview where the Cavendish door is there's a thicker pillar. Must have been where the building was added on

At the far end of the building on the floor above where Kennings was, and before they were there,during the war was the Central Labour Working Mens Club, accessed by a doorway and staircase in a little lane between the the buildings.It was a very thriving little club in those dark days,literally, in the blackout, and people could not or more importantly did not want to go very far when the threat of air raids were very real.

My Dad was member there for many many years, and children were allowed in and in those days the "Turns" were many and varied,singers,dancers,conjurers, comedians, acrobats, a veritable variety show, I have many memories of those days, happy memories.

Guest lazarus

There was a Cavendish Dance Studio in the upper floors in the early fifties and sixties.

There was a Cavendish Dance Studio in the upper floors in the early fifties and sixties.

I might be wrong but wasn't the Collingson school of dancing held there?

Here's a particular moment in time for the Cavendish Buildings:

(The image is scanned from a rather pale 10 x 8 print given to my other half by a bookseller on Preston Market because "it is not good enough quality to sell")

It might not be great quality, but I find it fascinating, even though the tram is rather incidental :)

What is the strange "vehicle" next to the car. At first glance I thought it was a man with a wheelbarrow but on closer inspection it appears that:

It has 2 wheels,

Possibly 2 people "on it",

No legs reaching to the road behind it.

Which leads me to conclude that it is being ridden. :unsure:

Compare it with the bike further down the road. Completely different. Much lower with much smaller wheels.

It might not be great quality, but I find it fascinating, even though the tram is rather incidental :)

lol

Seriously though MA, I think that the incidental tram is in it's favour. Whilst I love the old tram photos, they do tend to dominate their pictures, usually to the exclusion of most other things. (which is what you'd expect of course, seeing as they are taken by tram enthusiasts.) But they often have tantalising glimpses of surroundings which leave you wanting a shot from a bit further away.

What is the strange "vehicle" next to the car. At first glance I thought it was a man with a wheelbarrow but on closer inspection it appears that:

It has 2 wheels,

Possibly 2 people "on it",

No legs reaching to the road behind it.

Which leads me to conclude that it is being ridden. :unsure:

Compare it with the bike further down the road. Completely different. Much lower with much smaller wheels.

Here's my take on it. The man behind is a pedestrian on the pavement. It's a wheelbarrow with the "pilot" steering it out of the gutter at an angle to go round the parked car. The wheel barrow does look non-standard though.

I agree with Edmund that it is one man and his barrow, with a pedestrian passing behind. One of the barrow man's legs is clearly visible.

Extracted from my full size scan:

And for any car enthusiasts is the motor, W 1387

lol

Seriously though MA, I think that the incidental tram is in it's favour. Whilst I love the old tram photos, they do tend to dominate their pictures, usually to the exclusion of most other things. (which is what you'd expect of course, seeing as they are taken by tram enthusiasts.) But they often have tantalising glimpses of surroundings which leave you wanting a shot from a bit further away.

I agree. Much as I love the tram photos the ones I like best are those with more of the period detail visible. This one is a fine example of that, especially as it relates to a particular event and has a rather small version of the Cavendish Buidling.

It has to be said, however, that had the tram not been in shot it might never have found its way into my hands.

You're right of course Edmund. :)

Ah - You used the old "Blow it up" method MA. lol

Why didn't I think of that :wacko:

Obvious when you see the close up.