Human League

Sheffield History

Being Boiled - I remember rushing out to buy this - is it really 30 years ago! I remember once going in the stationers on West Street - Andrews? and finding all these graphics in a Lettrasett catalogue !

Guest stevemushroom

I saw The Human League support Siouxsie And The Banshees at the Top Rank in 1978.I remember slides being shown as they were playing.Clips of 60's TV shows rings a bell,im sure they showed bits of STINGRAY.

Yes, me too. I was at their first ever gig....at Nowsociety Bar 2 Sheffield University.

May have got one or two photos of that still around....think I have got the advert/flyer for it somewhere.

Also, apparently, Phil Oakey and Susanne Sulley came to our Bonfire up Shirecliffe in 1977 or 1978....but they werent famous yet of course!!

I was often at Nowsoc Bar 2...NOT a student meself, but into local bands....saw most of them in late 1970s/early 1980s...including 3 or 4 Human League formations, Cabs,Clocks,TMBRs and many, many, many Stunt Kites gigs.....we were all school pals together at or from Firth Park School.

I quite enjoyed Stunt Kites.

Must admit, when Heaven 17 formed - I thought they were better than the "famous" version of Human League.

Guest stevemushroom

Yes, me too. I was at their first ever gig....at Nowsociety Bar 2 Sheffield University.

May have got one or two photos of that still around....think I have got the advert/flyer for it somewhere.

Also, apparently, Phil Oakey and Susanne Sulley came to our Bonfire up Shirecliffe in 1977 or 1978....but they werent famous yet of course!!

I was often at Nowsoc Bar 2...NOT a student meself, but into local bands....saw most of them in late 1970s/early 1980s...including 3 or 4 Human League formations, Cabs,Clocks,TMBRs and many, many, many Stunt Kites gigs.....we were all school pals together at or from Firth Park School.

I quite enjoyed Stunt Kites.

Must admit, when Heaven 17 formed - I thought they were better than the "famous" version of Human League.

OOps. Just seen that there is a claim that Human Leagues first gig was at Psalter Lane WHAM bar.

Well,definately the second was at Nowsoc 2 bar then.....as I say, I have got the flyer for it somewhere.

Wasn't Glyn Gregory of Heaven 17 fame an original member of the line up?

He very nearly was, but when Ian Craig Marsh and Martyn Ware asked him to join the newly formed Human League as lead vocalist in 1978, he wasn't available:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Human_League

But, when Marsh and Ware left The Human League in late 1980, they joined up with Glenn Gregory to form Heaven 17

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven_17

If you were to read these two wiki threads, the timelines are there.........

Two great bands of my formative years and funny to think how things might have turned out???

Their music just doesn't ever seem to get old................. Just me!!!

An interesting answer. I am related ,through marriage, with Glen and we always understood he had been with Human League but feeling they were getting nowhere, very fast ,left... just before HL became "big" He then went on to help form Heaven 17. Just shows how family "tales" are sometimes wrong!

Far be it for me to be accusing Glenn of telling 'porkies', but I can't find any record of him being actually part of HL, albeit the guys were all part of one big social group in the late 70's and early 80's, clubbing and gigging together.

He tells his own story here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/southyorkshire/content/articles/2005/06/07/glenn_gregory_interview.shtml

The reference to BEF made me smile as I remembered the wide lapel suits and the tiny pony tail, a la 'Penthouse and Pavement' cover shot.............. The epitome of cool............ B)

I am ,in no way ,accusing anyone of telling Porkies! The difference may simply be, as you say, that he was closely associated with them for a period and his family may have read more into it than they should.

Apologies lysander if my attempt at writing humorously gave offence. I wasn't accusing anyone of untruths, just trying to untangle the friendships, partnerships and collaborations within the group of people who collectively helped form this genre of music in Sheffield. On a slightly separate note, I read another post (here on SH I think?), where someone was talking about the DVD 'Made in Sheffield', which tells the story of the birth of electronic pop

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Made-Sheffield-DVD-ABC/dp/B0009I7NGC/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1422469340&sr=1-1&keywords=made+in+sheffield

Reviews are mixed, but I bagged one on eBay for a fiver including postage, so it's not the end of the world if it turns out to be like watching paint dry?!

Once I've watched it, I'll post a review on here.......