Ron Springett - what a save !

Sheffield History

Here is a photo of Ron Springett making a brilliant save against Arsenal when Sheffield wednesday visited highbury at the start of the 1959 season, wednesday ran out 1-0 winners despite being newly promoted.

Guest wadeisnotsosmall

Here is a photo of Ron Springett making a brilliant save against Arsenal when Sheffield wednesday visited highbury at the start of the 1959 season, wednesday ran out 1-0 winners despite being newly promoted.

my dad told me about this game when i saw the pic in one of his books

Guest bronco

Notice Ron did not have giant gloves to aid his keeping.

Just great hands, Probably the best ever Owls keeper.

Ron is flying throught he air like a cat and doesn't have a single hair out of place. Must've been fantastic hair gel in those days.

When I first started going as a very little lad, Rons brother Peter was in goal. He was at the end of his career and was absolutely shocking.

Guest tsavo

It wasn't a gel it was a cream and called Brylcreem. Certain sportsmen, especially cricketers were called "Brylcreem Boys" as the advertised the product. Freddie Trueman, the Yorkshire fast bowler was one who used it to good effect to polish cricket balls. Illegal under today's rules but it sure worked for him!

Guest daveyboy66

There was a fantastic photo of Springett in the Sunday Express taken on a wintry day at Burnley I think... because of the angle it showed him horizontal saving the ball but it looked as thought he was above the crossbar...it was a fantastic photo i would have loved to see it again

Guest BUXT0NGENT

Notice Ron did not have giant gloves to aid his keeping.

Just great hands, Probably the best ever Owls keeper.

My dad, no longer with us sadly, would have disagreed. He always insisted that , whilst Ron was the finest of his era (and you can have Gordon Banks), the finest he ever saw was Jack Brown from the 1930's. He told the tale of how , whilst playing for Worksop, Wednesday put either 5 or 7 past him, then went straight out and bought him.

I never saw him, but the only man I saw better IMHO than Ron was Lev Yashin, the Russian 'Black Cat'.

Ron insisted that the 6 Yard box was his, and any ball going into it was going to be his. he was not averse to trampling on his own players to CATCH the ball, such was his strength. He was loath to wear gloves, even in the coldest and wettest weather.

His brother Peter, whilst not being in Ron's category, proved to be a fair replacement.

As one who kept goal at school, and enjoyed it Ron was and still is my idol.

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

My dad, no longer with us sadly, would have disagreed. He always insisted that , whilst Ron was the finest of his era (and you can have Gordon Banks), the finest he ever saw was Jack Brown from the 1930's. He told the tale of how , whilst playing for Worksop, Wednesday put either 5 or 7 past him, then went straight out and bought him.

I never saw him, but the only man I saw better IMHO than Ron was Lev Yashin, the Russian 'Black Cat'.

Ron insisted that the 6 Yard box was his, and any ball going into it was going to be his. he was not averse to trampling on his own players to CATCH the ball, such was his strength. He was loath to wear gloves, even in the coldest and wettest weather.

His brother Peter, whilst not being in Ron's category, proved to be a fair replacement.

As one who kept goal at school, and enjoyed it Ron was and still is my idol.

Buxtongent, here's your Dad's hero, by Heap.

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

Did you ever hear the story about Peter Springett's experience soon after he came to Sheffield in the exchange deal that took Ron back to QPR? Peter was in goal at the Kop end in one match, and the opposing striker hit a superb shot. Peter, who was diving to his left, suddenly had to change direction and swing to the right when the ball took a slight deflection, and, miraculously, he just got a fingertip to the ball to prevent it going into the top corner. He thought he'd done brilliantly in only conceding a flag-kick. But when he went to get the ball from behind the goal, a wag at the front of the Kop cried: "Tha'rt not as good as your Ron --he'd have caught that!"

As a 13 or 14 year old I was on the pitch at the Leppings Lane end to congratulate Ron on the goal he had slotted past Gordon Banks in his testimonial game, all good hearted and i was allowed to resume my place in the Leppings Lane end.

Not six feet, unusual for a keeper, Ron would catch everything that came his way. It was sometimes quite comic when a forward would race through, Springett perfectly positioned would not be sold, the forward finally had to shoot and Ron would almost effortlessly and comfortably pluck the ball out of the air with ease.

Corners were never a lottery when Ron was in goal, I'm sure his catching from corners was never bettered by any keeper. Always an advocate of his full backs covering the posts, Ron would time his run from the post furthest away from the corner flag to absoloute perfection, catching mid-air and dropping to the ground smothering the ball. His greatest rival Gordon Banks would punch away the corners more often than not, and for me that's what gave Ron the edge.

It was a great shame when he eventually lost his England shirt to Gordon Banks, though Banks ultimately deserved the accolade, it is my contention that Springett remained the better keeper until well into1968. But Alf Ramsey changed the No 1 and the understudy on the back of two European Games with France, the first of which was played here at Hillsborough. Raymond Copa led the line for France and England were dull as the sides settled for a 1-1 draw. The return was n't so, England were poor and lost heavily 5-1, Springett was at fault for one of the goals but the press gave him a mauling. It became clear this was the swan song for a good few of the players with World cup ambitions...Denis Violet, George Eastham, Ron Flowers even Ron and Jimmy Greaves though still featuring not at the centre of attention so much....When 1966 finally came round Greavsie did n't take his relegation down the pecking order with the same good grace as Ron.

At least, though 50+ years late our Ron finally got his World Cup winners medal.

What memories, what a keeper.

Regards

Talking of Wednesday goalkeepers - does anyone remember Charlie Pugh? He was in goal when I first started to support Wednesday in the 50's

Guest elsecarowl

Great photo and typical Ron! I was also on the pitch at Ron's testimonial. It was obvious that night what good pals Ron & Gordon Banks were, by the way. I definitely agree that Ron was still the better keeper in 1966 but that Alf Ramsey had decided on the change. The shame is that the France game which effectively ended Ron's England career came during the hard winter of 1963 (if I remember rightly). Ron hadn't played a match for several weeks & was very rusty. Banks hadn't missed games and, if the decision to make the change had been made, it would have been fairer to play him in the France game and spare Ron the embarrassment. Finest keeper I ever saw.

Do you think that second picture is a pose or did he really catch the ball ?

:D

He always caught the ball

Guest dalerob

Talking of Wednesday goalkeepers - does anyone remember Charlie Pugh? He was in goal when I first started to support Wednesday in the 50's

That would have been the magnificently named Charlie Pllu.

Guest Mark Simmonite

Did you ever hear the story about Peter Springett's experience soon after he came to Sheffield in the exchange deal that took Ron back to QPR? Peter was in goal at the Kop end in one match, and the opposing striker hit a superb shot. Peter, who was diving to his left, suddenly had to change direction and swing to the right when the ball took a slight deflection, and, miraculously, he just got a fingertip to the ball to prevent it going into the top corner. He thought he'd done brilliantly in only conceding a flag-kick. But when he went to get the ball from behind the goal, a wag at the front of the Kop cried: "Tha'rt not as good as your Ron --he'd have caught that!"

I remember it well, I was that wag!

Guest sammyopisite

That would have been the magnificently named Charlie Pllu.

I remember Charlie he must have been one of the smallest goalkeepers in the pro game

R.I.P. Mr. R. Springett 

From the photo it looks a spectacular save....best save by a Springett I saw in real life though was from Peter, can't remember who it was against but it was at the Leppings Lane end, there's a picture of him tipping the ball over the bar in full flight somewhere, maybe a Green Un photo, fantastic save & one of the best I've ever seen from any keeper...tragic that he passed on so young.

On 18/05/2007 at 16:33, Biscuit Head said:

When I first started going as a very little lad, Rons brother Peter was in goal. He was at the end of his career and was absolutely shocking.

Peter Springett really wasn't that bad.  Both he and Peter Grumitt were fairly solid GKs for Wednesday for around five years.  It was the whole team that were bad.  In terminal decline is a more accurate way of putting it.

Incidentally, I saw Wednesday play five different goalkeepers, in five consecutive matches, and all five called Peter!

• P. Springett (injured)
  • P. Grumitt (injured & replaced by)
  • P. Eustace (2nd half)
  • P. Shilton (testimonial at Bramhall Lane)
  • P. Fox (broke his finger on his debut)

Then back to Springett, (or was it Grumitt) . . . . . and repeat.

The photo (top), was the last time we ever won at Highbury I believe.  I think we've won more at Wembley!