The Heeley Coliseum

Sheffield History

Guest skeets

Hello skeets,

nice to see your back online.

It's a very interesting point that you make about the Coli

as all the history books say it was demolished.

I have sent a message/question to 'Heeley History Workshop'

so lets see if they have any more info.

Steve

HI SteveHB hope you are keeping ok , l hope you have enlightend the HeeleyWorkshop that the HEELEY COLISEUM MAIN STRUCTURE HAS NOT BEEN DEMOLISHED. SKEETS.

HI SteveHB hope you are keeping ok , l hope you have enlightend the HeeleyWorkshop that the HEELEY COLISEUM MAIN STRUCTURE HAS NOT BEEN DEMOLISHED. SKEETS.

Thanks for the reminder skeets,

have now sent HW a message.

Steve.

A plan of the building would be useful skeets,

can you draw one from memory?

Guest galenareiki

Just been reading all about the "colly", all of them brought back such memories. Though I was surprised that i couldnt find a mention of the owners of this delightful picture house. If any one interested the "colly" was owned and run by brother and sister Peter and Peggy Blaskey. yes they were related to the blaskey wall paper shops. When Star Cinemas started buying up all the little places (Heeley Palace included) Peter and Peggy managed to hold out vowing they would never sell to star.

In the end they sold and it became a super market. My sister was the head cashier at the colley from leaving school until she married in 1958.

I folowed in her footsteps becoming cashier at the Gaumont in town. still keeping it in the family my grandson also works in th cinema.

Great site keep up the good work.

Mo

Just been reading all about the "colly", all of them brought back such memories. Though I was surprised that i couldnt find a mention of the owners of this delightful picture house. If any one interested the "colly" was owned and run by brother and sister Peter and Peggy Blaskey. yes they were related to the blaskey wall paper shops. When Star Cinemas started buying up all the little places (Heeley Palace included) Peter and Peggy managed to hold out vowing they would never sell to star.

In the end they sold and it became a super market. My sister was the head cashier at the colley from leaving school until she married in 1958.

I folowed in her footsteps becoming cashier at the Gaumont in town. still keeping it in the family my grandson also works in th cinema.

Great site keep up the good work.

Mo

I was just asking my Mum what she remembered about the Heeley Colli - she was a manageress for Blaskeys for many years.

She remembers that Nathan Blaskey ( brother of the wallpaper Blaskeys) was the owner, and Peter and Peggy were two of his children. Apparently, the old man actually died in his office at the Colliseum.

She was speaking to Peggy a few years ago and asked her what happened to all the advertising material (posters, stills,etc) that they had accumulated over the years,

and she said that it had all been binned when they closed.

As an avid collector of such material, that really hurts!

When you think about it, most of the local cinemas must have junked all their stuff too, as they closed down.

That's an awful lot of valuable collector's items - "Gone With the Wind" !

We must have visited the Colli on many occasions (as we did most of the locals), but, the only film that I can definitely remember seeing there was a re-issue of "Ivanhoe".

This must have been around April/ May, 1960.

I remember that, when Richard the Lionheart comes riding in at the end, everyone cheered.

Funny, the things you remember !

The pillars went when the cinema became a supermarket. Mum took my brother and I to either the Coliseum or Heeley Palace every week. It was the only way to see the news. Even waiting in the queue was fun - we met our friends and neighbours there. Then TV took over.........

I remember going to the Heeley Colliseum many times in the 50's. It was 7d (in old money) downstairs and (if you could afford it) 9p upstairs.

Guest lebourg

I remember going to the Colli on Sat morning. 6d to watch Flash Gorden, Cisco Kid, Zorro and cartoons.

Brill.

That was about 1958. The cinema was definitely not on the Machine Mart site but further up the road. I'm pretty sure it was demolished.

I remember going to the Colli on Sat morning. 6d to watch Flash Gorden, Cisco Kid, Zorro and cartoons.

Brill.

That was about 1958. The cinema was definitely not on the Machine Mart site but further up the road. I'm pretty sure it was demolished.

Are you thinking of Heeley Electric Palace ?

Guest lebourg

You may be right Steve, the old memory fades....sigh!

I think the cinema I'm referring to was on the Ponsford side of the bridge and you had to walk under the bridge to get to the other cinema on the Machine Mart site.

You are spot on with the 7old pennies for the "pits" and if memory serves me it was 9 old pennies in the posh seats.

I also seem to remember entering round the back down a passageway, but I could be mistaken about that.  ........Memories !!