The Heeley Coliseum

Sheffield History

THE HEELEY COLISEUM

INFORMATION

Opened 1913

Closed 1960

We need as much information about this place as possible - did you go there ? do you know where it was ? what was it like ?

Post a reply now and tell us your memories !

PICTURES

It was at the side of Ponsfords in Heeley. After it closed as a cinema, it reopened as a skate board centre.

It was at the side of Ponsfords in Heeley. After it closed as a cinema, it reopened as a skate board centre.

Sorry but the building you are referring to is the Heeley Electric Palace near the rail bridge, that's not the one in the photo.

This is the Heeley Electric Palace www.picturesheffield.com=s21365

The photo in post one looks to be amongst the shops near to Sark Road.

Guest tommo

Sorry but the building you are referring to is the Heeley Electric Palace near the rail bridge, that's not the one in the photo. :mellow:

This is the Heeley Electric Palace http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s21365

The photo in post one looks to be amongst the shops near to Sark Road.

The Heeley Coliseum backed on to Guernsey Road - where our parents lived from 1944 to the mid 1970's. Between Timpsons and the Coliseum was a butchers shop - the other side of the Col was Dutfields the greengrocers.

My brother particularly remembers Leo the doorman - because Leo chased him away from the rear of the premises many times. After leaving the Coliseum Leo did odd jobs for Walkers toys and sweet shop on Queens Rd (near the Earl of Arundel).

Another thing that my brother remembers about the Coliseum is that the door to the stalls had deep purple glass in a diamond shape.

We were sad to see the Coliseum close - it was turned into a Fine Fare supermarket. I went there with mum in the first week that the shop opened. We felt so guilty taking goods off the shelves after years of personal service. The building is now 'Machine Mart'.

Funny enough, after spending his youth being chased away from cinemas by the doormen, our kid ended up working as a projectionist in three cinemas in Sheffield. he he

Thanks for the information tommo and as it's your first post 'greetings', as i can remember the frontage to the cinema (two pillars) was still there in the early 70s. But i may be mistaken?

Guest tommo

Thanks for the information tommo and as it's your first post greetings, as i can remember the frontage to the cinema (two pillars) was still there in the early 70s. But i may be mistaken?

The pillars went when the cinema became a supermarket. Mum took my brother and I to either the Coliseum or Heeley Palace every week. It was the only way to see the news. Even waiting in the queue was fun - we met our friends and neighbours there. Then TV took over.........

Guest tsavo

The Heeley Coliseum backed on to Guernsey Road - where our parents lived from 1944 to the mid 1970's. Between Timpsons and the Coliseum was a butchers shop - the other side of the Col was Dutfields the greengrocers.

My brother particularly remembers Leo the doorman - because Leo chased him away from the rear of the premises many times. After leaving the Coliseum Leo did odd jobs for Walkers toys and sweet shop on Queens Rd (near the Earl of Arundel).

Another thing that my brother remembers about the Coliseum is that the door to the stalls had deep purple glass in a diamond shape.

We were sad to see the Coliseum close - it was turned into a Fine Fare supermarket. I went there with mum in the first week that the shop opened. We felt so guilty taking goods off the shelves after years of personal service. The building is now 'Machine Mart'.

Funny enough, after spending his youth being chased away from cinemas by the doormen, our kid ended up working as a projectionist in three cinemas in Sheffield. he he

Sounds familiar. Still waiting for you to unblock your PM's

Guest tsavo

L, Don't knowe hoe to unlock PM HELP!!!!!

M

In the PM section on the left hand side there is a box marked "PM block list" If I'm not shown there it must be a problem with the new server. It's only been running for a few days and there are the odd gremlins in it still. I can't find a way to unblock it from here, sorry.

L

You are getting the Heeley Colli mixed up with Heeley Palace. The ' Colli' was between the shops, as shown in the picture. It was the Heeley Palace that was next to Ponsfords, who, by the way, now have built a new super Ponsfords on the old Heeley Palace site. ;-)

The Heeley Coliseum, 453 - 455 London Rd.

Exact date of public opening, 28/10/13

Reconstructed by George Longden and Son Ltd, at sometime prior to 1935

Closed 14/01/61 and deolished at a later date.

Link to map #21 1952/53, also shows Heeley Electric Palace.

Photo on the wall in The Wagon and Horses,Heeley Green.

Guest twamoran

I don't think this building has been demolished although it is certainly not recognizable as a cinema from the front. I went down yesterday (October 13 2008) and had a look. The building is now used as an antiques warehouse and while its pretty decrepit looking, its clearly the original shell. You can see the fire escapes from the stalls round the back too, with escapes from three different levels. Looking at it from the front though, it looks like a typical terraced shop front, and is pretty run down. There is an old black tiled facade which looks like it may once have been rather ornate, but from the look of the photo above, this might have been the shop to the left of the cinema door? It looks from the photo that while its a large building, the facade and entrance to the cinema itself is actually rather small and innocuous looking? And without the pillars, it would be hard to recognize? Alternatively, the original facade could have been removed when the cinema closed? Can anyone confirm? Either way, the main shell of the building still exists!

I don't think this building has been demolished although it is certainly not recognizable as a cinema from the front. I went down yesterday (October 13 2008) and had a look. The building is now used as an antiques warehouse and while its pretty decrepit looking, its clearly the original shell. You can see the fire escapes from the stalls round the back too, with escapes from three different levels. Looking at it from the front though, it looks like a typical terraced shop front, and is pretty run down. There is an old black tiled facade which looks like it may once have been rather ornate, but from the look of the photo above, this might have been the shop to the left of the cinema door? It looks from the photo that while its a large building, the facade and entrance to the cinema itself is actually rather small and innocuous looking? And without the pillars, it would be hard to recognize? Alternatively, the original facade could have been removed when the cinema closed? Can anyone confirm? Either way, the main shell of the building still exists!

Hi twamoran,

I think you was looking at the wrong building 'Machine Mart' is now whare the'Coli' once stood Flash Earth

The antiques warehouse is Langtons (443 London Rd) and was once a snooker hall going under the same name,

hence the reason for the fire escapes round the back Langtons

Steve

You are getting the Heeley Colli mixed up with Heeley Palace. The ' Colli' was between the shops, as shown in the picture. It was the Heeley Palace that was next to Ponsfords, who, by the way, now have built a new super Ponsfords on the old Heeley Palace site. ;-)

HI Onemanner, my friend Steve had a slip of the finger when he said the the Coli; building had been demolished, we've commented on this building before, The main structure has not been altered extensively for the last 60 yrs to my knowledge it has been different outlets over the yrs , l used to go every Mon night, [ the wifes natter night,] to see films here as early as 1948, and later played snooker in Langtons hall, above ,every week with my old pals right up to 1988, we used to go up the metal stairs round the back to get in , in the latter yrs, at one time Langtons had a shoe shop to the left hand side of the foyer,[ and this was only the width of 2 shops] Where have all the years gone ,wish memorywas better. Cheers Skeets.

HI Onemanner, my friend Steve had a slip of the finger when he said the the Coli; building had been demolished, we've commented on this building before, The main structure has not been altered extensively for the last 60 yrs to my knowledge it has been different outlets over the yrs , l used to go every Mon night, [ the wifes natter night,] to see films here as early as 1948, and later played snooker in Langtons hall, above ,every week with my old pals right up to 1988, we used to go up the metal stairs round the back to get in , in the latter yrs, at one time Langtons had a shoe shop to the left hand side of the foyer,[ and this was only the width of 2 shops] Where have all the years gone ,wish memorywas better. Cheers Skeets.

Hi skeets,

my fingers are always slipping on the key board, lol

but It's very rare they slip when I have a camera in my hand.

Note te position of the chimney ;-)

Hi twamoran,

You took the time out to go down Heeley and have a look,

made you're own comments and got members responding.

That's what Sheffield History is all about ' team work'

thanks twamoran,

and here is a photo of the rear, showing the fire escape you mention.

Sark Rd is far left.

Steve

HI Tommo l used to go to this cinema in the 50ties and in those days Langtons shoe makers who owned the building had a shoe shop at the side of the foyer, and also a snooker hall above , f or many years l played there every Thurs night for many yrs, Skeets.

THE HEELEY COLISEUM

INFORMATION

Opened 1913

Closed 1960

We need as much information about this place as possible - did you go there ? do you know where it was ? what was it like ?

Post a reply now and tell us your memories !

PICTURES

I'm sure my mum was an usherette there during the war. I'll ask her and see what she's got to say about it. I remember her telling me about bombs dropping during the blitz and knocking all the icecreams off the trays she was carrying. :rolleyes:

After consultation with my mum I've now established that it was the Heeley Green Picture House my mum worked at, as an usherette. Not the Heeley Coli. as I originally posted :huh:

Guest skeets

A better quality photo of the Heeley Coliseum. picturesheffield

HI Steve HB, RE; The Coliseum, your latest photo showing the rear painted in red is the mainstructure MACHINE PART IS WHERE THE BUTCHERS AND TIMPSONS Were to the right of the foyer, although they may have taken over the foyer, the main structure of the cinema is still intacto, Hope you are keeping ok Cheers SKEETS

HI Steve HB, RE; The Coliseum, your latest photo showing the rear painted in red is the mainstructure MACHINE PART IS WHERE THE BUTCHERS AND TIMPSONS Were to the right of the foyer, although they may have taken over the foyer, the main structure of the cinema is still intacto, Hope you are keeping ok Cheers SKEETS

Hello skeets,

nice to see your back online.

It's a very interesting point that you make about the Coli

as all the history books say it was demolished.

I have sent a message/question to 'Heeley History Workshop'

so lets see if they have any more info.

Steve

I have had one relevant reply on ''Heeley History Workshop'

quote,

" as far as I know it was totally demolished are you old enough to remember paying 7pence to see films there sitting in the Pit in seats with no arm between for courting couples sucking a trianguler Mayjoy "

Don't know what to make of that one skeets?