The Forum Cinema

Sheffield History

Screenshot 2020-06-06 at 11.25.27.jpg

THE FORUM CINEMA, Herries Road, Sheffield

Herries Road - Sheffield 5

INFORMATION

We are looking for as much information as possible about this cinema - can you help ?

Please post any information or memories of the place below..

It was built exactly the same as The Capitol at Lane Top. The builders/owners were the Sheffield firm of Gleeson's. It seated 1800 people and had 100 more seats than The Capitol. It opened one year and one day before The Capitol. Both cinemas, together with Ecclesfield Cinema House, were bought by Essoldo around 1947, but their names not changed to Essoldo until a few years later. The name ESSOLDO has always been a mystery for some people. Where did it come from? Well, it's quite simple really, but a very clever maneuver. The man who originally started the firm, and still held the reins until his death in the mid sixties, was named SOLoman Sheckman. His wife'e namd was ESther, and his daughter's was DOrothy. Bring them into line and you have ESther - SOLoman - DOrothy. That is the honest truth, so help me. Hope this has been of some use.

FORUM BRINGS BACK MANY A MEMORY FOR ME AS IT WAS MY JOINT LOCAL WITH THE RITZ.

USED TO GO THERE FOR SEVENPENNY RUSH ON SATURDAY DINNER. SAW MANY A COWBOY AND INDIAN AND COMEDY CAPERS THERE. TOM MIX, DARINGO KIDD,LASH LAROO,KIT CARSON AS WELL AS FLASH GORDAN,DON WINSLOW WHICH WERE SERIALS, CHARLIE CHAPLIN,BOWERY BOYS,THREE STOOGES AND LAUREL AND HARDY PLUS CARTOONS DONALD DUCK,MICKEY MOUSE,MIGHTY MOUSE, POPEYE AND GOOFY TO MENTION JUST A FEW.

AND SOMETIMES HAD A GUEST APPEAR IN THE INTERVALS. THE ONE I REMEMBER MOST WAS YOLANDY POMAY WHO WAS A YO-YO CHAMPION DOING HIS TRICKS.THERE WAS AFEW AROUND AT THE TIME.

AND AT NIGHT IF WE WERE SKINT,WE WOULD GO DOWN THE PASSAGE DOWN THE SIDE,AND OPEN THE EXIT DOOR WITH A STEEL RULE. THEN WE WOULD GO INTO TOILETS AND THEN COME OUT ONE BY ONE.NAUGHTY BUT NICE,THAT WAS US. WE WOULD GO ROUND COLLECTING POP AND BEER BOTTLES AND TAKE THEM BACK FOR THE THREEPENCE DEPOSITS ON THEM TO GO TO FLICKS.

BUT WE LIKED IT WHEN MUM USED TO TAKE US AND WOULD GET A BAG OF POPCORN OR A LOLLY FROM USHERETTE IN BREAK. AND WE WOULD GO IN THE FIRST HOUSE AND HIDE AND THEN WATCH THE SECOND HOUSE AS WELL.

FORUM DID NOT BECOME AN ESSOLDO CINEMA UNTILL END OF 50s

FORUM BRINGS BACK MANY A MEMORY FOR ME AS IT WAS MY JOINT LOCAL WITH THE RITZ.

USED TO GO THERE FOR SEVENPENNY RUSH ON SATURDAY DINNER. SAW MANY A COWBOY AND INDIAN AND COMEDY CAPERS THERE. TOM MIX, DARINGO KIDD,LASH LAROO,KIT CARSON AS WELL AS FLASH GORDAN,DON WINSLOW WHICH WERE SERIALS, CHARLIE CHAPLIN,BOWERY BOYS,THREE STOOGES AND LAUREL AND HARDY PLUS CARTOONS DONALD DUCK,MICKEY MOUSE,MIGHTY MOUSE, POPEYE AND GOOFY TO MENTION JUST A FEW.

AND SOMETIMES HAD A GUEST APPEAR IN THE INTERVALS. THE ONE I REMEMBER MOST WAS YOLANDY POMAY WHO WAS A YO-YO CHAMPION DOING HIS TRICKS.THERE WAS AFEW AROUND AT THE TIME.

AND AT NIGHT IF WE WERE SKINT,WE WOULD GO DOWN THE PASSAGE DOWN THE SIDE,AND OPEN THE EXIT DOOR WITH A STEEL RULE. THEN WE WOULD GO INTO TOILETS AND THEN COME OUT ONE BY ONE.NAUGHTY BUT NICE,THAT WAS US. WE WOULD GO ROUND COLLECTING POP AND BEER BOTTLES AND TAKE THEM BACK FOR THE THREEPENCE DEPOSITS ON THEM TO GO TO FLICKS.

BUT WE LIKED IT WHEN MUM USED TO TAKE US AND WOULD GET A BAG OF POPCORN OR A LOLLY FROM USHERETTE IN BREAK. AND WE WOULD GO IN THE FIRST HOUSE AND HIDE AND THEN WATCH THE SECOND HOUSE AS WELL.

FORUM DID NOT BECOME AN ESSOLDO CINEMA UNTILL END OF 50s

The Forum opened on 17 September 1938. Although bought by Essoldo in the late forties it did not change its name to Essoldo until 6 June 1956. It finally closed on 31 May 1969.

Guest tsavo

Chris Hobb's site is a gem. Lots to see and learn. Never visited the Forum but must try and find a pic of the vestibule. Welcome to Sheffield History, Ceegee.

Thought you might like a better picture.

I started at Longley infants close to the Forum around 1957 so this is how I remember it. Speant many a moment trying to get in free at the side entrance for the childrens matinee every Saturday morning. During school time, we used to buy bags of "broken biscuits" from the nearby shops for 2 old pennies!

And would have been 70 years old TODAY opened Saturday 17th September 1938 by the Right Hon. A.V. Alexander MP!

I went to the primary school across the road, and when the film of the ascent of Everest was released, the whole school was taken to see it one afternoon. I can remember the whole lot of us being assembled in the school playground then marched in a huge crocodile up to the cinema. We must have stopped the traffic on Herries Road for quite a while when we crossed!

I seem to remember a lot of discussion while we assembled as to whether we'd get ice creams as well!

Screenshot 2020-06-06 at 11.25.27.jpg

Updated the thread with a photo of the interior of The Forum cinema showing the seats and the screen