John William Lambert

DeniseO

John William Lambert was born around 1889. He attended Sheffield Park School and Sunday School. He married Ethel Mary Hollingsworth around 1910. He worked for British Railways and his wife's family were clothiers. He left Sheffield around 1915 for Australia. He enlisted in the Australian Army in 1915/16 from Claremont, WA. His enlisted number was 1857 and he belonged to the 33rd Battalion, Australian Imperial Force. He was killed in action in the on 7/8 June 1917 in the Messines stand. I believe he was buried in Plogsteerte Wood, but there was so doubt. He was a stretcher bearer and was shot in the back of the head. He had one son who was born in 1912 in Sheffield.

Any help would be great.

John William Lambert was born around 1889. He attended Sheffield Park School and Sunday School. He married Ethel Mary Hollingsworth around 1910. He worked for British Railways and his wife's family were clothiers. He left Sheffield around 1915 for Australia. He enlisted in the Australian Army in 1915/16 from Claremont, WA. His enlisted number was 1857 and he belonged to the 33rd Battalion, Australian Imperial Force. He was killed in action in the on 7/8 June 1917 in the Messines stand. I believe he was buried in Plogsteerte Wood, but there was so doubt. He was a stretcher bearer and was shot in the back of the head. He had one son who was born in 1912 in Sheffield.

Any help would be great.

Hello and welcome DeniseO,

I remember a Lambert family that lived in the Cromford Street area (Sheffield 2)

and have recently been in touch with one of them.

I will pass on your question to him, via email.

Steve.

Guest Trefcon

Denise, there are 58 pages of his service record surviving at Australian Archives, he should also be on the 'Mapping our Anzacs' project as well. But i suspect you might have already been there.

There is a J. Lambert on the St. John, Park, Roll of Honour that served with the Australians. Photo attached.

Dean.

Denise, just checked my image of the memorial and zoomed in, there is a W after the J, i missed it when i was typing out the names from the image, so i would say that it is definately your man. Bottom right of image.

I remember a Lambert family that lived in the Cromford Street area (Sheffield 2)

Steve.

Hello again DeniseO,

I have received a reply (re your question) from Mr Lambert, formally of Cromford Street.

Sorry but It seems that he is not one of the same Lambert's you mention,

this is his email to my self ...

" Hi again Steve

Regarding your contact on the Lambert family i don,t think i can shed any light from our side of the "clan" as our Lambert family only came to Sheffield (from Leeds)in the early/mid 20,s. but i was contacted 5-6 years ago by someone from Hull who was researching the name and had found evidence of some of his family coming to Sheffield in the mid 1800,s unfortunately i no longer have any contact details for him but i hope this can be of help in some way. "

Any help would be great.

Steve.

Thank you so much for your help.

Denise, there are 58 pages of his service record surviving at Australian Archives, he should also be on the 'Mapping our Anzacs' project as well. But i suspect you might have already been there.

There is a J. Lambert on the St. John, Park, Roll of Honour that served with the Australians. Photo attached.

Dean.

Denise, just checked my image of the memorial and zoomed in, there is a W after the J, i missed it when i was typing out the names from the image, so i would say that it is definately your man. Bottom right of image.

Thank you so much, I have tried researching the St. John, Park with no luck. This is great.