Microsoft Windows 7

SteveHB

Give it at least a year and a 400 Mb service pack and it might be worth looking at then.

Bargepole, with, touch wouldn't, it, a - rearrange to suit.

Trouble is sites like channel4's "On Demand" are not compatible to the Beta format so will not run.

Read somewhere that the release has been delayed!

Might try it on a spare PC, can't be as bad as Vista

Read somewhere that the release has been delayed!

Might try it on a spare PC, can't be as bad as Vista

'Microsoft' advise intalling on a second computer,

the beta version runs out in August by the way

Windows 7 Beta, now up and running on a second PC

It installed a lot quicker than XP,

not bad going seen as its near on 2.5 Gig in size!

No problems having to do a search and install sound of graphics drivers,

as both worked OK.

Its a lot less recourse hogging than Vista and runs a lot faster,

Just one thing "No email program is included " :(

No problems having to do a search and install sound or graphics drivers,

as both worked OK.

Its a lot less recourse hogging than Vista and runs a lot faster,

Just one thing "No email program is included " :(

Hi Steve

Done the same this weekend, as with you no problems so far. I did go over (upgrade lol ) to Vista last year, but soon returned to XP. I have not noticed the lack of email program, I use Thunderbird anyway.

What I know about operating systems you can write on a pin-head......so purely from a logical point of view wouldn't it have been better to spend the time and effort that has gone into Windows7 to get Vista working right and making improvements to what I can clearly see is a poor relation of XP.

What is with the blue spinny thing that drives me utterly insane.....that and the fact it takes a lifetime to do something on my computer. :o

Vista has reduced my expensive fast computer to a pile of poo.....I don't think I want anything to do with Windows7.

Linux anyone???? <_<

As a matter of interest Steve, what's the spec of your second PC...CPU, RAM.GPU, IDE/SATA etc?

As a matter of interest Steve, what's the spec of your second PC...CPU, RAM.GPU, IDE/SATA etc?

Nothing special Gramps,

Athlon 3000 CPU, 1 Gig Ram, 128 MB ATI Graphics Card,

40 GB IDE HDD.

Thanks. All those folks who spent a fortune upgrading their hardware just to get Vista out of bed are going to be a bit miffed he he

Thanks. All those folks who spent a fortune upgrading their hardware just to get Vista out of bed are going to be a bit miffed he he

I'm thinking of trying S7even on a Pentium 3 with 512 RAM.

With regards to Vista,

tsavo says he likes it lol

I'm thinking of trying S7even on a Pentium 3 with 512 RAM.

With regards to Vista,

tsavo says he likes it lol

Now that Windows 7 is officially released is it any good?

I notice that MicroSoft have done the usual trick, a flood of advertising and all new computers seem to come with Windows 7 already installed in order to stifle your choice of operating system.

That what they tried to do with Vista until a number of users telled them to stuff it and that they preferred XP, - hence you can still (just) get XP

Now that Windows 7 is officially released is it any good?

I notice that MicroSoft have done the usual trick, a flood of advertising and all new computers seem to come with Windows 7 already installed in order to stifle your choice of operating system.

That what they tried to do with Vista until a number of users telled them to stuff it and that they preferred XP, - hence you can still (just) get XP

I have tried Windows 7 (beta and RC versions), it seems to be an improvement over Vista, and there is less negative press for Windows 7.

It all depends what you want (sorry what Microsoft thinks you want), most people just want a PC that works when it is switched on

I have tried Windows 7 (beta and RC versions), it seems to be an improvement over Vista, and there is less negative press for Windows 7.

It all depends what you want (sorry what Microsoft thinks you want), most people just want a PC that works when it is switched on

My PC at work works when it is switched on, - it just takes over 15 minutes for it to load everything up and make all the network connections and do all the scans before you can actually use it.

When its usable I refer to it as having a full head of steam, because like a steam engine there is a long delay between starting the thing up and being able to actually use it.

Now an operating system that loads and starts instantly would be good.

I don't suppose Microsoft have thought of that one.

..and even if they have some of the LINUX systems have already beaten them to it, - with the entire OS on a ROM chip its all there as soon as you switch on.

If people really do just want "a PC that works when it is switched on" then within their limitations ALL the operating systems, including all the previous offerings from Microsoft, can do that, - so why do we need yet another one?

Is it because if Microsoft, being in the business of selling OS software, have to keep reinventing the wheel and reselling a slightly modified version of their previous system to stay in business?

Most of the previous Microsoft systems were actually very good.

If its not broken, - don't try to fix it.

Gave up windows early this year and went onto an Apple Minimac - works as soon as it's booted up, instant. Fantastic guys - if you're thinking of going for Windows 7 try an Apple first. :rolleyes:

Had a try on Windows 7 & last night and other than a small number of changes it seems to be little different from Vista. OK it may be a little quicker and use less memory but those with a Vista computer already have all the requirements so what's the benefit of spending £100 for very little gain.

Better than XP maybe as it runs dual processors faster and is a better user of memory. but I am not 100% sure that as above the cost is worth it.

Microsoft should have offered the Windows 7 upgrade from Vista at a very low cost if not free. Not fit for purpose etc. Upgrading from XP, then the cost is just about OK.

Anyone upgrading needs to be careful because as with Vista older hardware will not work with the new systems. Printers and scanner drivers are not available. The owner of the system I had a play with will need a new printer as drivers are not yet available and may never be so as Vista drivers are still unavailable.

I was interested in the Windows 7 XP compatibility mode but understand it's not available on the home level so that's another negative.

Anyone upgrading needs to be careful because as with Vista older hardware will not work with the new systems. Printers and scanner drivers are not available. The owner of the system I had a play with will need a new printer as drivers are not yet available and may never be so as Vista drivers are still unavailable.
My old Epson Color 640 is over 10 years old and there is a Windows 7 driver for that.

On another front, I have seen on an IT form that W7 SP1 is on the cards for January?

so what's the benefit of spending £100 for very little gain.

My point exactly jiginc.

I can't even see the point of upgrading from XP to be honest

Do wee need the extra speed to post on Sheffield History?

No! If I post any faster already I get a message about flood control telling me to wait and not post as fast.

I never really saw the sense in upgrading from Windows 98, or even 95 for a computer only required to carry out fairly basic tasks such as email, Internet browsing and a bit of office work like word processing.

My old Epson Color 640 is over 10 years old and there is a Windows 7 driver for that.

Interesting mike,

I have an equally old Epson Color (Americans never could spell) 660 on my old Windows 98 computer.

I couldn't even get drivers for it to make it run on XP which worked.

Even if I could the printer has the old parallel port connections (RS232?) which is ideal on my old Windows 98 computer which has a matching port, but the newer computers expect everything to connect via a USB port so that was an additional problem. In the end it was easier to just buy a new printer.

After all, printers are another big fiddle, - the printer itself is sold for almost its production cost with little profit because they can then seel you 5ml of ink in their own custom cartridge for over £20 a time thereby making an immense profit and they know you will have to keep coming back for more ink while ever you use the printer :angry:

That said, my old Epson Color 660 is still working fine, - as is the Windows 98 computer that drives it.

Dave,

I have my old 640 connected to my three year old PC running XP, I remember having to download an XP driver for it though. You could install an RS232 PCI card for less than a tenner so that you can connect your Epson. A quick Google brought these up http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en&amp...d&scoring=p

Would a Universal 1-Port LPT PCI Card not be better. Not many printers had a COM input. My Laserjet 5 does but not my deskjet.

Dave,

I have my old 640 connected to my three year old PC running XP, I remember having to download an XP driver for it though. You could install an RS232 PCI card for less than a tenner so that you can connect your Epson. A quick Google brought these up http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en&amp...d&scoring=p

Think I'll stick with the old Epson 660 on my windows 98 computer and my HP D2360 on the XP computer.

In any case the 2 computers are networked so either computer can, in theory and with a bit of messing about, write to the other computers printer.