Date-Stones on Sheffield Buildings

Guest plain talker

Guest Martin-Bacon

Hi Everyone,

Here are a few more buildings with dates.

1765 Building on Cherry Tree Road, recently sold under the name Wisteria Cottage. The letters B R R are carved above the date.

1795 Sharrow Green Cottage on Psalter Lane by Sharrow Head roundabout. This is a metal plaque so I don't know if it qualifies.

1828 or 1829 (The date is not entirely legible in the photograph I took). Parson Cross School, Halifax Road, at the junction of Southey Green Road. I think this is Sheffield's oldest school.

1855 258a Langsett Road. This is another plaque so I don't know if it qualifies.

1868 Hyde Place on Park Crescent.

1880 Providence Terrace JPI, 124 Cross Hill, Ecclesfield.

1881 Perseverence Terrace, 26 Loxley New Road.

1884 Building at the junction of Pinstone Street and Charles Street.

1889 Barber Harrison and Platt at 2 Rutland Park. The number 89 is above the Rutland Park entrance to the building which is on the even number corner of both Rutland Park and Clarkehouse Road, so the number probably represents a date.

1890 Cowlishaw Rise, Cowlishaw Road.

1892 Cowlishaw Road.

1892 Ferncroft, Cowlishaw Road, opposite the junction of Osberton Place.

1899 Cyril Villa (Sheffield Music) on Ecclesall Road, near the junction of Hickmott Road.

1899 Stickford Cottages, Penistone Road North, near Vere Road.

1899 ????? Cottages, 222 Penistone Road North (The date is not entirely legible in the photograph I took).

1900 Rigsby Cottages, 63 Vere Road.

1900 Legbourne Cottages 57 Vere Road.

1900 Thorseby Cottages, 49 Vere Road.

1900 Claxby Cottages, odd numbered side of Vere Road.

1900 Aby Cottages, 33 Vere Road.

1900 Haugh Cottages, 25 Vere Road.

1900 Tetford Cottages, odd numbered side of Vere Road.

1900 Carlton Cottages, 9 Vere Road.

1900 Swaby Cottages, 3 Vere Road.

1900 Somersby Cottages, odd numbered side of Vere Road.

1901 Building with the number 120 at the junction of High Street and Cross Hill, Ecclesfield. This might be in the list as Jeffcock's Nurse's Home, Ecclesfield.

1901 Botanical Villas, Walton Road.

1901 Boston Cottages, 20 Vere Road.

1901 I think. (Date and house name painted over and not legible). 28 Vere Road.

1901 Rasen Cottages, 36 Vere Road.

1901 Caistor Cottages, even numbered side of Vere Road.

1901 Alford Cottages, 52 Vere Road.

1901 Louth Cottages, 60 Vere Road.

1901 Spilsby Cottages, 70 Vere Road.

1902 Horncastle Cottages, 4 and 6 Vere Road.

1902 Gainsbro Cottages, 10 and 12 Vere Road.

1902 Coperfield Villas, Penistone Road North, between Fielding Road and Bickerton Road.

1902 Wickfield Villas, Penistone Road North, between Fielding Road and Bickerton Road.

1903 (I think). I discovered a photo I took a few months ago of a building on Lumley Street (east section), near the former Sheffield Central Works Depot. The date is not entirely legible as the building is distant.

1907 46-48 Stannington Road.

1910 Stannington Infant School.

1913 Former SECS building (Amusement Caterers) on Walkley Lane at the junction of Carnaby Road.

1927 The Wharncliffe public house, Bevercotes Road.

1998 Upperthorpe Medical Centre, Upperthorpe.

2005 JLM Court. I think this is on Woodfield Road, athough its address could be one of the roads that join Woodfield Road.

I also remember seeing a date stone on Vincent Court, a new building on Manor Lane, by the junction of Maltravers Road, but can't find a photo of it.

I also rember seeing two buildings on Netheredge Road, both with dates stones. One is called Masons Cottage, I think, but I can't find any pictures of them.

That lot should expand the list!

Martin.

Thanks Martin and welcome to Sheffield History.

Many thanks for this post as it is quite an extensive list of date stones which were missing from the ones we already had.

It will probably take Steve quite a while to update our master list with that lot.

Guest Martin-Bacon

Vere Road, is that next to the Wednesday ground ? Sure I passed it every school day for about eight years ....

Yes it is. It runs from Leppings Lane to Penistone Road North. I might revisit the area to see if I got every date.

I also saw an inscription on what might be the old toll cottages near Parkside Road by the junction of Penistone Road, but was too busy to stop and take a close look.

My my, you have been busy Martin.

I've looked down the list and I don't think there are any duplicates.

Keep up the good work. :)

Guest Martin-Bacon

My my, you have been busy Martin.

I've looked down the list and I don't think there are any duplicates.

Keep up the good work. :)

Busy? Yes, although I just chanced on the buildings in the Vere Road area, which has many dates stones.

Here is some more information on buildings with dates.

I mentioned these in my posting of 24 September 2011 - 12:52 AM

The information below is to clarify the facts.

1903 former City of Sheffield Central Depot on Lumley Street (east section). This part of the site is now used by Lynne's

Cafe and Reclaim Community Recycling.

2008 Vincent Court, Manor Lane, by the junction of Maltravers Road.

Now for some buildings not mentioned before.

1892 Victoria Terrace, Staniforth Road. (Number 382 I think. Near the junction of Faranden Road).

1893 Laural House, 294 Staniforth Road.

1897 Roslin Villas, 366-368 Firth Park Road.

1906 Balfour Villas, 502 Staniforth Road.

The building below is in the list, but is on Claywood Road, rather than Shrewsbury Rd.

1899 Jersey Villa, 1 Claywood Road.

This one is not on the list, surprisingly: it is not exactly small.

Junction of Bridge Street and Love Street. Does the building have a name?

I used to live about 75 yards away from there, is there a street number please ?

Shop on the corner of Ecclesall Road South and Banner Cross Road:

I used to live about 75 yards away from there, is there a street number please ?

If I have it right, the shop is number 143 Ecclesall Road South and used to be a Post Office.

Thanks, emailled Big Sis, twas her house I was briefly staying at.

If I have it right, the shop is number 143 Ecclesall Road South and used to be a Post Office.

This one is not on the list, surprisingly: it is not exactly small. Junction of Bridge Street and Love Street. Does the building have a name?

No name MA, just an address.

51 Bridge Street.

R & J Smith Brothers Ltd. metal merchants.

Charles Churchill & Co. Ltd. machine tool makers.

Bridge (The) Street Motors, motor engineers.

1925 Kelly's .

And;

51 Bridge Street.

1965 Kelly's

No name MA, just an address.

51 Bridge Street.

Charles Churchill & Co. Ltd. machine tool makers.

Bridge (The) Street Motors, motor engineers.

1925 Kelly's .

And;

51 Bridge Street.

1965 Kelly's

More recently (25 years or so) it was a shooting club of some sort.

I can't see this one on the list either: it is a little more obscure.

Corner of Eyre Lane and Froggatt Lane.

I'm almost certain that this used to be the Sheffield Council Sanitary Collection Centre or some similar name. I used to walk past it when I started work at the then Sheffield City Polytechnic in about 1984.

There were always little council vans going in and out. I got the impression that they collected medical sanitary waste from homes around Sheffield.

HD

I'm almost certain that this used to be the Sheffield Council Sanitary Collection Centre or some similar name. I used to walk past it when I started work at the then Sheffield City Polytechnic in about 1984.

There were always little council vans going in and out. I got the impression that they collected medical sanitary waste from homes around Sheffield.

HD

We have this building it has two date stones in view,

my fault as I listed it under the later date of 1945

Perhaps the second floor was added later, or perhaps it was blitz damaged and the second date stone added when it was repaired.

HD

I never even noticed the 1945 stone :o. As soon as I saw the 1933 one I got the camera in action. I was a bit surprised to not see it in the lists, and now i know why.

The other end of the building still has a Council sign on it, something along the lines of Eyre Lane Depot, but I didn't pay much attention to it as I walked past.

EDIT

Something like this on Picture Sheffield

I never even noticed the 1945 stone :o. As soon as I saw the 1933 one I got the camera in action. I was a bit surprised to not see it in the lists, and now i know why.

The other end of the building still has a Council sign on it, something along the lines of Eyre Lane Depot, but I didn't pay much attention to it as I walked past.

EDIT

Something like this on Picture Sheffield

Its used by the Cleansing Department, or what ever its called nowadays, it where the street cleaners and their machines live.

Its used by the Cleansing Department, or what ever its called nowadays, it where the street cleaners and their machines live.

Gold & silver works (1965).

Eyre Street S1

==== Clay Lane ===

75 - 79 Oaks Turner & Co. Ltd. bullion dealers.

75 - 79 Johnson, Matthey & Co. Ltd. bullion dlrs.

=== Froggatt Lane ===

75 - 81 Turner's (Eyre Street) Ltd. nickle silver mfrs,

rollers & spoon & fork blank mfrs.

=== Furnival Street ===

1950's

Gold & silver works (1965).

Eyre Street S1

==== Clay Lane ===

75 - 79 Oaks Turner & Co. Ltd. bullion dealers.

75 - 79 Johnson, Matthey & Co. Ltd. bullion dlrs.

=== Froggatt Lane ===

75 - 81 Turner's (Eyre Street) Ltd. nickle silver mfrs,

rollers & spoon & fork blank mfrs.

=== Furnival Street ===

1950's

I think that Johnson, Matthey & Co only occupied the front part of the block at the time I mentioned. They were certainly still there when the Cleansing Department were occupying the back bit along Eyre Lane.

HD

HD

I've been having another look at this building on Multimap / Bing and I've come to the conclusion that the council depot probably was just located at the north-east end of the block, the bit that is still in use by Streetforce. In other words not the end with the date stones. Maps and the satellite views clearly show that they are seperate buildings.

Sorry for muddy-ing the waters but I plead a senior moment, well I shall start drawing my old codgers pension in a few days. :rolleyes:

HD

Guest akademik

I don't know whether this one has perhaps already been added into the data-base / pool / whatever, sorry if I am just replicating, but there's "1836" in the top of the angled elevation of what is currently a branch of HSBC, on the corner of Chesterfield Road and what I think is Chantrey Road.

What intrigues me is that over the door lower down in the elevation, it says "1909".

As far as my stylistic intuitions go, the building seems more likely to have been erected 1909 than 1836. Also the whole area strikes me as unlikely to have been much built-up yet by the 1830s. Perhaps 1836 was the year that whatever organisation that originally occupied the building was founded.

Does anyone know the story / stories?

I have pictures, but I do not know how to upload.

I don't know whether this one has perhaps already been added into the data-base / pool / whatever, sorry if I am just replicating, but there's "1836" in the top of the angled elevation of what is currently a branch of HSBC, on the corner of Chesterfield Road and what I think is Chantrey Road.

What intrigues me is that over the door lower down in the elevation, it says "1909".

As far as my stylistic intuitions go, the building seems more likely to have been erected 1909 than 1836. Also the whole area strikes me as unlikely to have been much built-up yet by the 1830s. Perhaps 1836 was the year that whatever organisation that originally occupied the building was founded.

Does anyone know the story / stories?

I have pictures, but I do not know how to upload.

Hi akademik, sound interesting.

To upload images from a computer,

click on the More Reply Options then Choose Files ..