Date-Stones on Sheffield Buildings

Guest plain talker

Springfield School, Broomspring Ln

Transferred from Mystery location thread after mystery had been solved.

My matching mystery of Manor Lane School 1876, has already been posted here previously so shouldn't have taken as much working out.

The old Anns Grove School, Heeley.

Formerly named Anns Road School

(closed)

While looking through my photos of Anns Rd school,

I came across one showing a date stone that predates my last entry.

While looking through my photos of Anns Rd school,

I came across one showing a date stone that predates my last entry.

At 1890 Ann's Road School is a fair bit newer than the 2 schools posted by me and Stuart which were both mid 1870's.

Quite suprised at that as all 3 schools look very similar in style and build.

Sacred Heart Presbytery Forbes rd / Langsett rd 1879

Town Hall 1895

opposite Specsavers-Pinstone st 1884

Ruskin building Norfolk st 1876

Looks like it may have been a fine building once - it says '1930' at the top.

Stanley House, Stanley Street

Looks like it may have been a fine building once - it says '1930' at the top.

Stanley House, Stanley Street

I remember Stanley House from the Mystery Location topic :)

I seem to have spent quite a bit of time over Christmas photographing date stones already mentioned (but not always photographed) in this topic already (should have taken a list with me).

Here are a few not mentioned, however:

Hartshead Square, 2001:

Gleadless and District Conservative Club (originally Gleadless Church School): not sure whether the date stone is original, although the date is about right for the building of the school:

There are a couple of houses nearby on Hollinsend Road with date stones, one 1874 and one 1884. Being a fool, I omitted to note the house numbers.

I seem to have spent quite a bit of time over Christmas photographing date stones already mentioned (but not always photographed) in this topic already (should have taken a list with me).

Not a bad set of pictures of Sheffield building date stones for someone who describes herself as "Exiled in Carlisle"

Presumably a Christmas visit "home" madannie.

Hope you enjoyed your visit and the journey, in eiother direction, wasn't too troubled by the recent bad weather.

Not a bad set of pictures of Sheffield building date stones for someone who describes herself as "Exiled in Carlisle"

Presumably a Christmas visit "home" madannie.

Hope you enjoyed your visit and the journey, in either direction, wasn't too troubled by the recent bad weather.

It certainly was, Dave: the annual Christmas visit to family in Sheffield. As is apparent I managed to spend much time looking up at buildings without colliding with anyone or anything! Journey from Carlisle was interesting in that the outside lane of the M6 was covered in snow and I took the long way round (via M61, M62 and M1), the return journey yesterday was from Guildford and was easy but tedious.

Already itching to get back to Sheffield, as my interest in my home city has been re-awakened and much enhanced by this Forum. How much did I miss when I was a teenager in Sheffield!

Another one which I forgot to add earlier this week. Apologies for the dark photograph - it is a rather gloomy corner.

St Peter's Close 1908

I was sure I saw this one mentioned when I searched through the topic, but now I can't see it, so here it is:

1907: Glossop Road

Just where on Walkley Road ?

Stand at the door of the Cottage, look left, just down from end of Camm Street (used to be a small fish and chip shop just to the right of that building).