Date-Stones on Sheffield Buildings

Guest plain talker

Not thought of that,

Cook's car repairs, still there.

(Cook was your "clue" by the way ;-) )

Just side tracking a little from the main subject matter - sorry - but am intrigued : one of 3 sisters by any chance?

Just side tracking a little from the main subject matter - sorry - but am intrigued : one of 3 sisters by any chance?

Now now suzy,

Me and Stuart are not ones for Sunday newspaper type scandals so we are hardly likely to tell tales out of school ;-)

But as you went to our school suffice to say you are probably right, although I thought there were only 2 sisters, - Sandra and Gillian?

Unless of course you know of a third sister, Hmmm... now I'm intrigued :unsure:

Now now suzy,

Me and Stuart are not ones for Sunday newspaper type scandals so we are hardly likely to tell tales out of school ;-)

But as you went to our school suffice to say you are probably right, although I thought there were only 2 sisters, - Sandra and Gillian?

Unless of course you know of a third sister, Hmmm... now I'm intrigued :unsure:

It was not true anyway, lets not get off topic here :)

Not sure if this counts, as its not an original date "stone"

victoria chambers -figtree lane 1864 and 1878

I was going to move your photo into a more appropriate Topic Jim,

but looks like someones been there before you.

Link to .. Jessops Hospital

It was not true anyway, lets not get off topic here :)

OK, not bothering with any more houses on City Road opposite the cemetry to avoid any more hassle as we went to school with several people who lived down there lets move on (these houses all have date stones between about 1900 and 1920, but most just carry a name rather than a date)

Manor Lane Junior School, 1876

Many old Junior schools, especially ones like this which have seperate entrances for Girls & Infants and another one for Boys of Victorian origin were built just after the 1870 Education Act presumably to allow local authorities to comply with the act which made "compulsory education of all children" and was to be done "regardless of social status" implyying that the education was to be provided by the state and would be free of charge. Similar schools of similar age in the area are Ann's Road Heeley and Gleadless School at Hollinsend.

Having said that my grandmother, who went to school in the early 1900's, always said she had to take a penny to school every morning to pay for her lessons. A penny was a lot of money to poor families with lots of school age children. If she turned up without her penny she was sent home for the day!

More recently my mother in the 1930's claims to have gone to the "ragged arsed" school, - a reference to the old ragged schools which actually predated my mum by a fair amount of time but which as the name implies (and as my mums version of the name also implies) were schools for the poor who could not afford to pay for their own education.

New housing development just off Ridgeway Road, Gleadless Townend, 2005

these new houses are on the site of those old black and white blocks of flats which were about 4 - 5 storeys tall which flanked either side of Ridgeway Road as you went up the hill to Gleadless Townend.

The 2 blocks which were on the left (Methodist Church + Medical Centre side) are gone and the site is derelict

The 2 blocks on the other side (Gleadless Mount / Rubeez Indian / Peace Funerals) have been replaced, in 2005 of course by this new development

Looks quite nice, - and I bet those window cleaners are finding their job a bit easier than on the old blocks lol

New housing development just off Ridgeway Road, Gleadless Townend, 2005

these new houses are on the site of those old black and white blocks of flats which were about 4 - 5 storeys tall which flanked either side of Ridgeway Road as you went up the hill to Gleadless Townend.

The 2 blocks which were on the left (Methodist Church + Medical Centre side) are gone and the site is derelict

The 2 blocks on the other side (Gleadless Mount / Rubeez Indian / Peace Funerals) have been replaced, in 2005 of course by this new development

Looks quite nice, - and I bet those window cleaners are finding their job a bit easier than on the old blocks lol

Next to the newest date up to now.

One of only 4 in the 2000's

Is the fashion returning.

I think that building is on Brown Street,

can't remember what it was, but it's now some sort of studio.

FlashEarth

yep you,re right Steve, it is Brown st (changed title) and i think its possibly part of the Site Gallery which is next door

1906 - Rutland Hall

Hicks Street, Rutland Road, Platt street

Thanks but .... we already have that one in the list vox,

nice pictures though .. :)

Thanks but .... we already have that one in the list vox,

nice pictures though .. :)

Should have checked the list. <_<

Look at all that server space I've wasted. :)

Should have checked the list. <_<

Look at all that server space I've wasted. :)

But look at the photos you have added vox,

it may be Rutland Hall today but next year it could

become student accommodation or even a pile of rubble.

Keep them photos coming!

Just realised i,ve aquired a new hobby of "stone spotting"

note to self-- buy new anorak

You see a lot more by looking up at buildings, the history is up above, especially in city centres.

The disadvantage is you either end up tripping over something or walking in something :(

Victoria Hall 1780 and 1908

Year built 1908,

looks like the 1780 date is in commemorative stone (if that's the right word)

to Norfolk Street Wesleyan Chapel.

Victoria Hall .. Wikipedia

Link to .. sheffieldhistory.co.uk, History of Norfolk Street Wesleyan Chapel

'Well spotted jimbob'

You see a lot more by looking up at buildings, the history is up above, especially in city centres.

The disadvantage is you either end up tripping over something or walking in something :(

Tell me about it!

The number of times i,ve been tutted at by someone i,ve nearly ploughed down,or frightened the bejesus out of myself when i,ve nearly walked into a street lamp or waste bin doesnt bear thinking about!

They,re both stones and they,ve both got dates on them...but do they qualify as date stones?--Endcliffe park and Winter gardens...1887 and 2003

Sheffield uni Eyre Lane 1933 and 1945

Sylvester st 1875

Upperthorpe baths 1895

They,re both stones and they,ve both got dates on them...but do they qualify as date stones?--Endcliffe park and Winter gardens...1887 and 2003

Sheffield uni Eyre Lane 1933 and 1945

The building on Eyre Ln showing two dates is interesting,

makes it the only 1940's building in the list.

I wonder if it suffered damage in the Blitz and was later re-built?

As for your question Jim,

this Topics name is ..

'Date-Stones on Sheffield Buildings - Buildings & Bridges in or around Sheffield displaying dates'

I'm sure we have an Endcliffe Park topic (or do we?) where your photo could be added.

Not sure about the Winter Gardens one.