Date-Stones on Sheffield Buildings

Guest plain talker

OK, I made a mistake about Cavendish buildings, it does have a date stone, but it's not 1907, it's 1910.

the beehive on west street has a date stone, as does the building that houses Westways bar,

the Wharncliffe works has an 1888 date stone (houses "Needful Things", corner of Devonshire Street, and Broomhall street pedestrian area near Devonshire Green) http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=w00084

I was wandering through town today heading up Division Street. I noticed date stones on the Yates' Wine Lodge (1989) and on Centre 45, (the former bail hostel, and Probation services building) the date reading 1939.

Hi Plaintalker, You mentioned that the Beehive on West st has a date stone, but no date given, in my ancestors writings, he says when he was a small boy about 7, West st was made, and cut through the house and garden of a shoemaker, to compensate him the Beehive was built for him, so l would imagine the date stone would read around 1812 . Arthur

Guest plain talker

you were actually right the first time plain talker, the date on the cavendish building is 1907--you were also right the second time it is 1910- the one you missed however was 1919------all three of the plinths carry a different date! lol

Now, that is just well strange! :o How to confuzzle someone in three easy moves, eh? Heheh

I wonder why that was so? thre's only 3 years between the 1907 and 1910 stones, so it is feasible they could have started in '07, and continued till 1910 but, I wonder, were they interrupted during World War 1, and had to stop building until 1919? (she said, thinking "aloud")- however, that theory doesn't explain the gap between 1910 and 1914..., let alone a 9 year gap till 1919.

Maybe the builders went bankrupt? (thinks******* St Paul's Tower!!!!!!)

Guest plain talker

Hi Plaintalker, You mentioned that the Beehive on West st has a date stone, but no date given, in my ancestors writings, he says when he was a small boy about 7, West st was made, and cut through the house and garden of a shoemaker, to compensate him the Beehive was built for him, so l would imagine the date stone would read around 1812 . Arthur

I shall be near the Beehive tomorrow, as I have to call into work; I'll try and remember to have a look as I go past.

The Beehive was rebuilt in 1916 to allow the road to be widened a bit.

Jeremy

Now, that is just well strange! :o How to confuzzle someone in three easy moves, eh? Heheh

I wonder why that was so? thre's only 3 years between the 1907 and 1910 stones, so it is feasible they could have started in '07, and continued till 1910 but, I wonder, were they interrupted during World War 1, and had to stop building until 1919? (she said, thinking "aloud")- however, that theory doesn't explain the gap between 1910 and 1914..., let alone a 9 year gap till 1919.

Maybe the builders went bankrupt? (thinks******* St Paul's Tower!!!!!!)

Nearly right PT! The first bit was built in 1907, then extended twice, with the dates of the extensions on the pediments, hence 1907, 1910 and 1919.

Hill Top Chapel Attercliffe

Centenary House

Heritage Park

Albert Terrace Road

I'm interested in this one, Centenary House but I can't understand how I've not seen it when

walking down there. Could it be in the old Infirmary grounds?

I'm interested in this one, Centenary House but I can't understand how I've not seen it when

walking down there. Could it be in the old Infirmary grounds?

Centenary House 1897.

What exactly was it the centenary of?

What happened in 1797 that this house was commemorating?

With a build date of 1793 to 1797 that would fit exactly.

Well found Jeremy ;-)

From the Local Register and chronological account of occurences and facts connected with the town and neighborhood of Sheffield:

1797; Oct 4:

Sheffield General Infirmary,—the institution first opened for the reception of patients; first trustees appointed, T. Walker, Esq., G. B. Greaves, Esq., Richard Swallow, Esq. Rev. J. Wilkinson, C. H. Rhodes, Esq., Samuel Shore, jun. Esq., Vincent Eyre, Esq., Thomas Rawson, Esq., Thomas Holet, Esq., Jno. Browne, M.D.

Service in the parish church, with a selection of sacred music

Procession from the church to the infirmary; the magistrates, clergy, public officers, freemasons, members of societies, &c.

Public dinner at the Angel; Dr. Browne president.

Grand miscellaneous concert at the theatre.

From the Local Register and chronological account of occurences and facts connected with the town and neighborhood of Sheffield:

1797; Oct 4:

Sheffield General Infirmary,—the institution first opened for the reception of patients; first trustees appointed, T. Walker, Esq., G. B. Greaves, Esq., Richard Swallow, Esq. Rev. J. Wilkinson, C. H. Rhodes, Esq., Samuel Shore, jun. Esq., Vincent Eyre, Esq., Thomas Rawson, Esq., Thomas Holet, Esq., Jno. Browne, M.D.

Service in the parish church, with a selection of sacred music

Procession from the church to the infirmary; the magistrates, clergy, public officers, freemasons, members of societies, &c.

Public dinner at the Angel; Dr. Browne president.

Grand miscellaneous concert at the theatre.

Brilliant bit of research Jeremy, not only do we know what centenary is being commemorated but also the exact date of the original event.

Main list updated here

Thanks for all for your contributions.

And due to popular demand a new list is added in this Topic,

'Dates on Sheffield Bridges'

As with the 'Dates on Buildings' photographs arn't a necessaty,

If you see a date on a local bridge then post it in here please.

See below

Dates Displayed on Sheffield Bridges

~~~~~~

1819 Bacon Lane (canal) Bridge.

1856 Norfolk Rail Bridge, Attercliffe (year of completion)

1880 Washford Rd, (canal) Bridge (year of reconstruction)

1915 Penistone Road North, Bridge over River Don

1916 Castlegate/ Blonk Street, Bridge.

1926 Pinfold (canal) Bridge, Staniforth Rd (year of reconstruction)

1930 Pothouse (canal) Bridge, Coleridge Road 1930.

1993 Brown Bayley Footbridge (canal)

1989 Norfolk Rail Bridge, Attercliffe Rd, (year of reconstruction)

1993 Super Tram Bridge, Park Square.

2000 Heeley Road Bridge, reconstruction (over River Sheaf) London Road.

2005 Foot-Bridge over Jervis Lum, Norfolk Park (year of reconstruction)

Any way this can all be put in date order?

Sorry Mike but your question has me puzzled,

we have two lists that run in order by year,

one for buildings the other for bridges.

Do you have something else in mind?

Steve

As we now have 7 pages here, I was thinking more about getting the actual pictures in order so that we can see if there are any missing years, or years which were more popular than others. I've seen some date stones on my travels but it takes quite a while looking through these pages to see if it's there or not? Unless of course I've missed a list somewhere!

As we now have 7 pages here, I was thinking more about getting the actual pictures in order so that we can see if there are any missing years, or years which were more popular than others. I've seen some date stones on my travels but it takes quite a while looking through these pages to see if it's there or not? Unless of course I've missed a list somewhere!

Here you go Mike,

link to list in post #17

I will add links to both of the lists into the start of this Topic, post #1

:)

Aberdeen Works Trafalgor St 1883

Titter Ye Not !

Francis Howard Electro-plated goods manufacturer Aberdeen Works, Trafalgar Street (Kelly's 1893)

Do you have this one Steve?

Dates Displayed on Sheffield Bridges

~~~~~~

1819 Bacon Lane (canal) Bridge.

1856 Norfolk Rail Bridge, Attercliffe (date of completion)

1880 Washford Rd, (canal) Bridge (date of re-build)

1916 Castlegate/ Blonk Street, Bridge.

1926 Pinfold (canal) Bridge, Staniforth Rd (date of re-build)

1930 Pothouse (canal) Bridge, Coleridge Road 1930.

1989 Norfolk Rail Bridge, Attercliffe Rd, (date of re-build)

2005 Foot-Bridge over Jervis Lum, Norfolk Park (date of re-build)