Date-Stones on Sheffield Buildings

Guest plain talker

I am currently in Reims in france so can't get out into Sheffield with my camera ;-)

J'espère que vous appréciez votre séjour en France et en Suisse.

Qu'est-ce que vous utilisez pour vous connecter à Sheffield Histoire du centre de la France?

Quand je vais à la Belgique dans un mois, de sorte que je quitte tout ce qui concerne l'Internet, d'ordinateurs et de Sheffield Histoire en Angleterre derrière de prendre une pause.

I see another "challenge type" topic coming up here

Enamel Signs on Sheffield buildings.

We have got one somewhere about painted signs

I am currently in Reims in france so can't get out into Sheffield with my camera ;-)

Good idea Stuart,

New Topic started >>> Old Enamel Signs on Sheffield buildings

J'espère que vous appréciez votre séjour en France et en Suisse.

Qu'est-ce que vous utilisez pour vous connecter à Sheffield Histoire du centre de la France?

Quand je vais à la Belgique dans un mois, de sorte que je quitte tout ce qui concerne l'Internet, d'ordinateurs et de Sheffield Histoire en Angleterre derrière de prendre une pause.

"Speak English you swine!"

Dennis Bloodnock, Major, Indian Army, (retired) (well, cashiered actually).

"Speak English you swine!"

Dennis Bloodnock, Major, Indian Army, (retired) (well, cashiered actually).

Sorry Bayleaf,

A personal bit of French between me and Stuart0742.

We both went to school together and had the same French teacher (Man Chapman)

We hated French, it was our worst subject and the one which let us down most in exams.

Part of the problem was that we thought that learning French was totally pointless. For 2 Sheffield lads in the 1960's France may as well have been on the far side of the moon rather than just across the channel, - it was highly unlikely that we would ever go there.

Suprisingly then, 40 years later we both enjoy taking regular holidays in France so perhaps we regret not having done our best in French at school.

I see another "challenge type" topic coming up here

Enamel Signs on Sheffield buildings.

We have got one somewhere about painted signs

Eagle eye, I never spotted that. :blink:

1629 Hill Top Chapel, Attercliffe.

1897 Centenary House, Heritage Park, Albert Terrace Road.

Thanks Jim (1629 is a new earliest recorded stone)

list updated.

And welcome to the forum.

Sorry Bayleaf,

A personal bit of French between me and Stuart0742.

We both went to school together and had the same French teacher (Man Chapman)

We hated French, it was our worst subject and the one which let us down most in exams.

Part of the problem was that we thought that learning French was totally pointless. For 2 Sheffield lads in the 1960's France may as well have been on the far side of the moon rather than just across the channel, - it was highly unlikely that we would ever go there.

Suprisingly then, 40 years later we both enjoy taking regular holidays in France so perhaps we regret not having done our best in French at school.

I fully sympathise Dave! I had the same experience. When the kids were young we had several gite holidays, and I was amazed how much school French came back after so many years.

One of my old French teachers at Firth Park was 'Joe' Eaker, a lovely old chap. Every Monday morning we had a vocabulary test, which we all hated, naturally. When someone complained his reply was "I work on the basis that the more dung you throw against a wall, the more is likely to stick!"

And he was obviously right!

Thanks Jim (1629 is a new earliest recorded stone)

list updated.

And welcome to the forum.

Thanks Steve

And btw i thought you would have spotted this one yourself!

Thanks Steve

And btw i thought you would have spotted this one yourself!

I did spot that one a couple of years ago Jim,

but that was when the original plaques were made of bronze.

Wouldn't have thought the bridge over Jervis Lum would be classed as a building though,

seems to be more of a structure to me.

I did spot that one a couple of years ago Jim,

but that was when the original plaques were made of bronze.

Wouldn't have thought the bridge over Jervis Lum would be classed as a building though,

seems to be more of a structure to me.

you,re probably right on that Steve i did wonder whether it would qualify but i really put it up as a teaser for you,

probably even more of a quandry is this one not far from the bridge for 1910, does it still qualify as a building????

probably even more of a quandry is this one not far from the bridge for 1910, does it still qualify as a building????

Good question Jim,

all that's left standing of the Pavilion Cafe in Norfolk Heritage Park after it was burnt down by vandals in 1995.

As the arch with date intact is the remains of a building I would say yes it should qualify,

what do others think .. ?

All answers cut into a stone tablet please :)

Good question Jim,

all that's left standing of the Pavilion Cafe in Norfolk Heritage Park after it was burnt down by vandals in 1995.

As the arch with date intact is the remains of a building I would say yes it should qualify,

Best I could do at short notice Steve.

Good question Jim,

Like to welcome Jimbob to the site, - seems quite an expert at this at this "date stone" business.

I think that if the original building no longer exists, but there is a preserved bit of it or a monument to say that it once stood on a particular site with a date then YES we should include it.

As for structures like bridges, - well a house is a structure of sorts. If the stone, or metal plate carries a date relevant to the building or opening of that that structure then YES that should be included too as all these structures are part of our City's history.

After all, if there is a date stone on the Wicker Arches we wouldn't want to not include that would we?

Like to welcome Jimbob to the site, - seems quite an expert at this at this "date stone" business.

I think that if the original building no longer exists, but there is a preserved bit of it or a monument to say that it once stood on a particular site with a date then YES we should include it.

As for structures like bridges, - well a house is a structure of sorts. If the stone, or metal plate carries a date relevant to the building or opening of that that structure then YES that should be included too as all these structures are part of our City's history.

After all, if there is a date stone on the Wicker Arches we wouldn't want to not include that would we?

Seeing as you mentioned bridges.......................

Seeing as you mentioned bridges.......................

What a reult!

Within hours of suggesting that bridges and other structures with dates are OK, Jimbob has come up with a good selection.

Park House-Bernard st 1915

Special Forged Products-Birch Rd 1911

TWO FOR ONE!! Special Steel Company Ltd-Faraday Rd

FALL PIPES !!

Paradise square 1777

Mayfair Court-West Bar 1914

Salmon Pastures 1908

OK, I made a mistake about Cavendish buildings, it does have a date stone, but it's not 1907, it's 1910.

the beehive on west street has a date stone, as does the building that houses Westways bar,

the Wharncliffe works has an 1888 date stone (houses "Needful Things", corner of Devonshire Street, and Broomhall street pedestrian area near Devonshire Green) http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=w00084

I was wandering through town today heading up Division Street. I noticed date stones on the Yates' Wine Lodge (1989) and on Centre 45, (the former bail hostel, and Probation services building) the date reading 1939.

you were actually right the first time plain talker, the date on the cavendish building is 1907--you were also right the second time it is 1910- the one you missed however was 1919------all three of the plinths carry a different date! lol