Date-Stones on Sheffield Buildings

Guest plain talker

St Andrews Methodist Church, Gleadless Road.

------------------------------------------------------

List updated, 03/03/09, 1530 Hrs

"Thanks to all the above members for your contributions"

Hope this one hasn't been done, I can't see it on the list.

Somme Barracks, Glossop Road 1907.

I also noticed a 17-something date stone (1784?) on a former Charity School on St James' Row, beside the Anglican Cathedral this afternoon.

There was a Boy's Charity School built in about 1706 by the cathedral. Apparently there used to be a headstone nearby that the boys called 'Tally' or "t-Alley" (the alley) that they would leapfrog over. I'm trying to find out more about this school (which was supposedly rebuilt in 1826), as my great great grand uncle William Wheelhouse studied there in 1901.

Guest shellybarnes

There was a Boy's Charity School built in about 1706 by the cathedral. Apparently there used to be a headstone nearby that the boys called 'Tally' or "t-Alley" (the alley) that they would leapfrog over. I'm trying to find out more about this school (which was supposedly rebuilt in 1826), as my great great grand uncle William Wheelhouse studied there in 1901.

former cross daggers woodhouse 1658

And gave it's name to a book by Marjorie Dunn see the post by Stuart

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...40&start=40

Middlewood Lodge . [ Now Elmore Nursury] Middlewood Road. 1877.

Hillsborough Trinity Methiodist Church, Middlewood Road. 1901.

In A Layman's Look at the History, Industry, People and Places of Oughtibridge, Worrall and Wharncliffe Side, Doug Sanderson says that there is a date stone over the door of Burton Farm, Oughtibridge, near the cemetery showing 1685. I think this is Burton/Birtin House where my Dickinson and Ashforth ancestors lived in the 18th century, so I would love to know if it is still there.

In A Layman's Look at the History, Industry, People and Places of Oughtibridge, Worrall and Wharncliffe Side, Doug Sanderson says that there is a date stone over the door of Burton Farm, Oughtibridge, near the cemetery showing 1685. I think this is Burton/Birtin House where my Dickinson and Ashforth ancestors lived in the 18th century, so I would love to know if it is still there.

Hi Judith,

am I in the right area with this Link ?

Can you pinpoint the farm or the area that it stood/stands ?

If not we could always 'Ask The Audience' :)

Guest Gramps

It's still here but known as Burton House these days. We drive through it regularly he he

I say drive 'through' it because Burton lane starts just past the junction of Church street and Haggstones road and coming round a blind bend you find yourself in what looks like a farmyard !! I've seen people so convinced they're in a farmyard they have turned round and headed back down Church street.

Worth a trip to look at the house, you would need to park a bit further up the hill outside the cemetery,— it's been modernised a bit but is still obviously very old.

It's still here but known as Burton House these days. We drive through it regularly he he

I say drive 'through' it because Burton lane starts just past the junction of Church street and Haggstones road and coming round a blind bend you find yourself in what looks like a farmyard !! I've seen people so convinced they're in a farmyard they have turned round and headed back down Church street.

Worth a trip to look at the house, you would need to park a bit further up the hill outside the cemetery,— it's been modernised a bit but is still obviously very old.

Good work Gramps,

and I'm sure Judith will nip over from France to take a quick look lol

Guest Gramps

Good work Gramps,

and I'm sure Judith will nip over from France to take a quick look lol

Can't see owt in the lady's post or profile that indicates she is in France :unsure:

True, but I am indeed in France and have been known to sign "Judith in France". Would really love to nip across and have a look and hopefully will one day.

Guest Gramps

Forgot to say thanks to Gramps for the info. Do you happen to know if the date stone is still there?

Hi Judith, - you're very welcome. I will try and get a photo of the house for you, if the owner doesn't mind,...and the date-stone. Can't promise when though so if you let me have your email address via PM I'll be in touch.

Meanwhile here are a couple of sections of the 1850s 6inch scale map of the area. As you can see comparing the house then with the the link Steve gave you the place hasn't changed much in 150 years.

Guest Gramps

Burton Farm/House Oughtibridge. The inscription seems to read

C R D

R E

Much modernised and cleaned up from when I first new it, with a tractor parked in the yard and mud everywhere.

Fir Vale Infirmary as was -1878

tut, tut Dunsby Owl - Sheffield Union Workhouse originally or Fir vale Workhouse 1878. Became Fir Vale Infirmary and City General Hospital in 1930 then in 1967 both combined to become the Northern General Hospital.

Lyn lol

Handsworth Water Works, 1887

I was going to use this one as a mystery location post as Handsworth Water works is NOT at Handsworth.

It is on Hurlfield Road Arbourthorne / Gleadless and is the water works building labelled on old maps as "Hagg Lane" or the water tanks as "Hagg Lane Tanks"

Don't know why they called it Handsworth but we do have a problem with the Noah's Ark pub, not far away on Mansfield Road, also being referred to as Handsworth in some old records.

Guest Gramps

Don't know why they called it Handsworth but we do have a problem with the Noah's Ark pub, not far away on Mansfield Road, also being referred to as Handsworth in some old records.

Could it be within the old parish of Handsworth which was much larger before the 19th. century carve up of parishes ?

Could it be within the old parish of Handsworth which was much larger before the 19th. century carve up of parishes ?

The school on Mansfield Rd has an inscription

"Handsworth School Board" or something like that