Date-Stones on Sheffield Buildings

Guest plain talker

Back to business on this one after a brief diversion

There are 2 possible challenges on a milepost thread. Do you want to -

A ) KEEP IT LOCAL

We could create a database of all the old milestones in the Sheffield area and their location, possibly with pictures.

OR

B ) GO TRAVELLING

Can we find the most distant signpost from Sheffield that says on it "SHEFFIELD XXX MILES", where XXX is the largest number we can find.

If we do this I will rule out the tourist one at Lands End with its interchangable destinations and distances (Sheffield 369 miles, - I think?)

In my experience the approach to Sheffield by road is rather badly covered, precedence often being given to other places locally like Leeds and Nottingham so it would be interesting to see how far from home base we can get and still find our City signposted.

I think both, and as I feel a little responsible I shall start two threads accordingly. I still feel a bit sad though :o

Oh dear Dave H

Sense of humour breakdown.

That's the best milestone in the world.

Notice they keep it nicely painted. They're obviously proud of it.

And quite right too.

It still amuses me every time go through Alfreton.

I took this photo 20 years ago

Having already being the source of another 2 threads on milestones, what about this one.

If Sheffield was to have a milestone like the one in Alfreton which we were to be equally as proud of, a stone that read, -

SHEFFIELD 0 MILES

Where exactly should it be placed?

Having already being the source of another 2 threads on milestones, what about this one.

If Sheffield was to have a milestone like the one in Alfreton which we were to be equally as proud of, a stone that read, -

SHEFFIELD 0 MILES

Where exactly should it be placed?

Aren't all distances measured from the Town Hall, therefore by the Town Hall steps

Aren't all distances measured from the Town Hall, therefore by the Town Hall steps

Yes but would you WANT it to be there?

Personally 20 or more years ago I would have wanted a sign like that in the middle of the hole in the road as that "black hole" marked the exact centre of the universe!

Jeffcock's Nurse's Home, Ecclesfield - I think that is 1901.

===============================

Looks like it is 1901 Dunsbowl ;-)

But which Town Hall?

Looks like mike142sl has got you there Syuart,

Sheffield has had at least 3 town halls and it could go outside the old town hall on Waingate which is currently up for sale.

Guest Trefcon

On the gable end of Oaksfold cruck barn in Concorde Park. It looks like 1981 to me, probably done when the end gable was repointed.

List updated 03/02/09, 1155 Hrs

Still missing from the master list are the original 3 from the "mystery location" thread which started the whole date stones thing off. In that thread there are pictures of 2 of them and the other would be easy to get. They are

1930, Stanley House, Stanley Street

1935, Row of shops at Gleadless Townend on Whites Lane / Norton Avenue

1987 Orchard Square, between Leopold Street and Fargate

The 1987 one is the only one lacking a picture. The stone is high up near the roof apex above the Zavvi store at the top of Fargate.

Still missing from the master list are the original 3 from the "mystery location" thread which started the whole date stones thing off. In that thread there are pictures of 2 of them and the other would be easy to get. They are

The 1987 one is the only one lacking a picture. The stone is high up near the roof apex above the Zavvi store at the top of Fargate.

Thanks for pointnig that out Dave.

Also there is sando's 1906 Rutland Hall to add, from the same Topic

I will do an update tomorow. Edit:(List Now Updated)

Thanks for updating the list Steve but you clearly didn't have Pop Ward and Man Rosenberg for maths at school

1930 does in fact come BEFORE 1931 :o

Thanks for updating the list Steve but you clearly didn't have Pop Ward and Man Rosenberg for maths at school

1930 does in fact come BEFORE 1931 :o

Sorted thanks :mellow:

Mudfords Building, just below Castle Market, 1915

Although this may be a company date rather than a building date as the stone does not make this clear.

Three more:-

The old co-op building at the junction of Oakbrook and Hangingwater roads shows S&E 1915

There is an extension on a building on Tom Lane with a date stone of 2000

The building on the site of the Ecclesall non political club has the date stone of 2006