Date-Stones on Sheffield Buildings

Guest plain talker

11 hours ago, MartinR said:

Remember that at that period older people would still be able to recall when streets weren't paved and drained.  To us a drain cover may be utilitarian and faintly a "bit dirty", but to Victorians they were a symbol of public health and the fight against disease (hey, does that sound familiar?).  Likewise the various water and drainage boards were proud of what they had achieved in improving sanitation.

Totally agree and I love that pride and history. I was being a little tongue in cheek as pavement features are an interest of mine :)

Is there a topic for dated Iron/steel work? I quite like the idea of logging the 'heads' and ' tails' (date stones and drain covers!)

Eventually I'd like to get this into Google earth (long term plan) to allow locations of dated urban artefacts to be found while out and about :)  Just think it would encourage people to see the history that this city has rather than the history it "doesn't" have [doesn't - compared to other cities - and the fact that Sheffield re-worked its historical fabric into the present fabric as it grew and developed] 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Longrat said:

Is there a topic for dated Iron/steel work? I quite like the idea of logging the 'heads' and ' tails' (date stones and drain covers!)

Eventually I'd like to get this into Google earth (long term plan) to allow locations of dated urban artefacts to be found while out and about :) Just think it would encourage people to see the history that this city has rather than the history it "doesn't" have [doesn't - compared to other cities - and the fact that Sheffield re-worked its historical fabric into the present fabric as it grew and developed] 

Why not start a topic?

Edit, there is this one, but it is maily lamps.

5 hours ago, Calvin72 said:

Totally agree and I love that pride and history. I was being a little tongue in cheek as pavement features are an interest of mine :)

ACK!! I have MORE to go through!! eek! How do the forum mods manage!??

12 minutes ago, SteveHB said:

Why not start a topic?

Edit, there is this one, but it is maily lamps.

So - this spreadsheet malarky was a GREAT idea of mine that I should have had about 20 years ago!!  :)

I've added more tabs to the sheet and I'll go through the two forum posts highlighted - THANKS FOLK (genuine, not sarcasm!) for pointing them out.  

Completely agree that people DO NOT SEE what is around them - and if they are not aware - HOW CAN THEY VALUE? :)

I've created some bit shortened versions of the three pages - but wanted to check in with the forum mods that they wanted this publicising so I don't get into bother :)

bit.ly/Sheffield_datestones
bit.ly/SheffieldDRAINS
bit.ly/SheffLights

I was going to put a call out on social media - links direct to the forums.  LIke I said, new to this - not wanting to upset folks by hoarding all the info :)

32 minutes ago, Longrat said:

I've created some bit shortened versions of the three pages - but wanted to check in with the forum mods that they wanted this publicising so I don't get into bother :)

bit.ly/Sheffield_datestones
bit.ly/SheffieldDRAINS
bit.ly/SheffLights

I was going to put a call out on social media - links direct to the forums.  LIke I said, new to this - not wanting to upset folks by hoarding all the info :)

Good, this is an open forum, so all the data on here can be viewed by anyone, you are not breaking any forum rules.

Guest leksand

I've had a browse at the master lists for this topic and it seems I have photos of quite a few datestones that appear to be missing. Rather than just dumping them on the thread I thought perhaps it might be more interesting to post them as mystery items and let browsers have a stab at identifying them. Some, I think, will be pretty obvious, some a little less so.

Anyhow, I'll start with a couple bearing years not spotted to date - 1696 & 1938.

If its a bad idea then let me know.

MDS001.jpg.05a7db791425c63117dc0f8b6e84f7b9.jpg

MDS002.jpg.945e5d2193f79dbea5b60017c89aa952.jpg

10 minutes ago, leksand said:

I've had a browse at the master lists for this topic and it seems I have photos of quite a few datestones that appear to be missing. Rather than just dumping them on the thread I thought perhaps it might be more interesting to post them as mystery items and let browsers have a stab at identifying them. Some, I think, will be pretty obvious, some a little less so.

Anyhow, I'll start with a couple bearing years not spotted to date - 1696 & 1938.

If its a bad idea then let me know.

Good gesture, but answers may be long awaited,  the Mystery Clock, posted 26/03/14, is unsolved 😒

Guest leksand

MDS003.JPG.62d5cdc3c5bd3476d5f3c1e86050a533.JPG

MDS004.jpg.ab500fd3b92da1fb385582cad0396e22.jpg

#001 - [1696] Old Heavygate Inn, 114 Matlock Road

#002 - [1939] ____________________

#003 - [1875] ____________________

#004 - [1848] ____________________

The former 'The Wybourn' pub, Cricket Inn Road, 1848. Although whether that is the date of opening/construction the pub experts will be able to tell us...

Guest leksand
50 minutes ago, Calvin72 said:

The former 'The Wybourn' pub, Cricket Inn Road, 1848. Although whether that is the date of opening/construction the pub experts will be able to tell us...

It was built to be a pub and opened as a beerhouse, seemingly, upon completion - it was definitely active as such in 1849. It originally had substantial gardens and was amongst the wave of "pleasure grounds" popping up around the periphery of Sheffield at that time. Like many of it's kin it was initially refused a full licence but continued to apply was awarded it in 1854.

But for lockdown, I believe it would still be open too.

Guest leksand

Hitting the north for numbers 5 & 6.MDS005.jpg.e542d9a0373e7c151d97404a527a5eb1.jpg

MDS006.jpg.078ac6a30a029e940fbad5ec1f634a1f.jpg

IDed so far:

#001 - [1696] Old Heavygate Inn, 114 Matlock Road

#004 - [1848] Wybourn Hotel, 204 Cricket Inn Road

Guest leksand

Neither of these two have been there as long as the buildings they grace(d).

Not sure if #8 is admissable as am not certain of the history of its site.

MDS007.jpg.dfb60daa0ba558e56d9f8c4e94cce2d2.jpg

MDS008.jpg.b2ec1bebc74f83679d0fb0fe7688258a.jpg

Guest leksand

Something borrowed,

MDS011.jpg.f6605eb46912f004ab5b9f8cef07e205.jpg

something blue (skied)

MDS012.jpg.187ab439baced1f3af6dd53216dd4219.jpg

(I beleive this should read 1866. Although it looks a little like 1806 that is not a feasible date for the building).

Guest leksand
12 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

Can I ask what the watermark type writing is on your images please?

Certainly.

The top and bottom lines read Mystery Datestone #___ & <<sheffieldhistory.co.uk>> in a font which uses rotated and reflected numbers and various manipulated symbols to represent roman lettering. The central line also reads Mystery Datestone (or misŭtori deit'sŭtōn) in katakana, one of the Japanese lettering formats.