Date-Stones on Sheffield Buildings

Guest plain talker

I put the "I think" in as I am not completely sure what the road is actually called: Bing/Multimap has it as Dutton Road and Google Maps has it as Lofthouse Road. It looks to me like the main entrance to Bertie Bassett's factory is on Beulah Road.

There is a large fence between whatever road I was stood on when I took the picture, so perhaps as it is part of the factory and therefore on Beulah Road.

I put the "I think" in as I am not completely sure what the road is actually called: Bing/Multimap has it as Dutton Road and Google Maps has it as Lofthouse Road. It looks to me like the main entrance to Bertie Bassett's factory is on Beulah Road.

There is a large fence between whatever road I was stood on when I took the picture, so perhaps as it is part of the factory and therefore on Beulah Road.

2015 OS map says Dutton Road, so as the date stone faces on to Dutton Road, I think we should leave it as that.

I know all the workers in the past used to say they worked at Basset's Beulah Road and when they changed shifts you could see

hundreds of these white heads [ turbans ] all coming down Beulah road. On second thoughts I should have known it was still there

because I used to point out to my grandson the giant Bertie Bassett on the wall of the building which you can see when you use

the car park of the Hillsborough Sports Leisure Centre which is to the top left of the picture.

On ‎05‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 21:30, madannie77 said:

On the list of date stones in this topic Industry Place is quoted as being 1853. I would suggest, from a photo taken today, that it might be 1833:

industry place.jpg

It looks like 1833 to me as well.

I can't see this one on the list:

United Methodist Church at the junction of Nether Green Road and Fulwood Road - 1912

Had to take the photos at a bit of an angle due to the position of the sun.

nether green methodists.jpgnether green methodists date.jpg

I can't believe that I had never spotted this one. I took these photos last week for another purpose and it was only when editing them that I noticed the date above the door :o

Cairns Chambers, Church Street.

i-776PbqF-X2.jpg

i-6HdcmKL-XL.jpg

I don't know if this one has already been included but I can't seem to see it on the original list although the loading system on here won't let me get to the last updated page as it keeps telling me it's loading . . . .  .  . . . .anyway this is on the corner of Fargate and Leopold Street , I'm sure viewers will remember what it use to be.

003.JPG

004.JPG

On 10/08/2018 at 15:28, ukelele lady said:

I don't know if this one has already been included but I can't seem to see it on the original list although the loading system on here won't let me get to the last updated page as it keeps telling me it's loading . . . .  .  . . . .anyway this is on the corner of Fargate and Leopold Street , I'm sure viewers will remember what it use to be.   

We do have that one on the list Mrs.UKL, but thanks for the photograph update.

Orch sq 1987.jpg

Thanks Steve

I thought it might have been done as it is in the town centre but I couldn't move the pages up, waiting forever " uploading " but it's nice to bring the topic back to the fore again.

National Schools were built by the National Society for the Promotion of Religious Education itself founded in 1811 with  a bias  on Church of England practices rather than those of the Non -Conformist churches. Latterly, the Society received some income from the Government.

9 hours ago, SteveHB said:

Thanks southside, do you have any explanation/info to go with the 1843 date please?

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend;s24620

Sorry SteveHB, I'm ashamed to say I've not done any research into my old School, the only thing I did know is what lysander says in his post about how the National School's came about.

One local benefactor to the village of Greenhill was property and land owner Isaac Shepherd, leaving in his will (1811) a sum of 80 Pounds to the Norton Free School for the education of poor children from Greenhill. In 1839 this sum enabled six scholars to be taught reading.

Hi

I'm new to the forum... and it's lockdown.... and.. 

OK.. so I found this thread - and I was curious... which dates were missing - which stones / buildings had been photographed... where are they in the city

I haven't solved all of this - but I did produce a first draft of a graph showing the date distribution... 

ANYWAY - I made a spreadsheet and you can view it here - THERE WILL BE ERRORS! I welcome suggestions or changes [just to stop the sheet being messed up I have protected some of the cells]

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FCtAMiOVFhkVABAgXuScQ0WIO_SyQj7b3Bn0-OBKLF4/edit?usp=sharing

I wonder if this could be a COVID-19 challenge to add more [while undertaking state- approved exercise] 

sheffield history date stone 16 04 2020.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Longrat said:

Hi

I'm new to the forum... and it's lockdown.... and.. 

OK.. so I found this thread - and I was curious... which dates were missing - which stones / buildings had been photographed... where are they in the city

I haven't solved all of this - but I did produce a first draft of a graph showing the date distribution... 

ANYWAY - I made a spreadsheet and you can view it here - THERE WILL BE ERRORS! I welcome suggestions or changes [just to stop the sheet being messed up I have protected some of the cells]

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FCtAMiOVFhkVABAgXuScQ0WIO_SyQj7b3Bn0-OBKLF4/edit?usp=sharing

I wonder if this could be a COVID-19 challenge to add more [while undertaking state- approved exercise] 

sheffield history date stone 16 04 2020.JPG

Interesting and backs what I have tended to think. There was a tendency to date buildings and features in late Victorian and Edwardian times. I always thought it came from pride and a place in history. People thought that future generations would want to know when something was built or opened or formed. Sheffield Corporation (Council) dated its drain covers from 1890 to 1926. Yep, drain covers.

Remember that at that period older people would still be able to recall when streets weren't paved and drained.  To us a drain cover may be utilitarian and faintly a "bit dirty", but to Victorians they were a symbol of public health and the fight against disease (hey, does that sound familiar?).  Likewise the various water and drainage boards were proud of what they had achieved in improving sanitation.

• Like 1