Date-Stones on Sheffield Buildings

Guest plain talker

I know where it is, but never knew it existed until now.

Hangingwater Road bridge, steps down to Shepherd Wheel dam

I know this one is on the list but I can't find a photo. (479 posts to look through)

Hillsborough Market Holme Lane - 1896

Also noticed this - Established over 100yrs

Mail from Ron Clayton

"This was on a window lintel from 3 Wicker Lane-sadly lost in demolition after a fire [probably arson ] recently.
Tried to save it but alas failed this time-it was probably the oldest surviving building in the Wicker.
Best
Ron"

3 Wicker Lane -1829

Photo - Mark Rodgers Photography

According to the list at the beginning of the thread the dates from the second half of the 19th century still missing are 1856, 1859, 1862, 1863, 1866, 1869 and 1873. They are probably 'gettable' given the fashion for dating buildings etc at the time.

Just how did you know that? But I would like to know the story behind it, it doesn't look like a racehorse, the proportions are more in keeping with a working horse.

lol - Go to your original post and hover your mouse over the picture. You called it "26 Upper Albert Rd 3.jpg"

I agree, Would be interesting to find out.

lol - Go to your original post and hover your mouse over the picture. You called it "26 Upper Albert Rd 3.jpg"

I agree, Would be interesting to find out.

Doh!i usually just have a number for my photos but for W.T.E.T. I do name them in a file. I feel a right Homer now.

Just how did you know that? But I would like to know the story behind it, it doesn't look like a racehorse, the proportions are more in keeping with a working horse.

Upper Albert Road, Meersbrook. 1895 Derbyshire directory.

Dewsnap John Samuel, Abney villas.

Flower John W.

Greenwood Arthur.

Holmes Waiter

Lidster Charles Henry.

Sales WaIter.

Wragg Mrs.

Not a big amount of data relating to Wicker Lane from this period, here's what I know of :

Elizabeth Lawton, dress maker, 22 Wicker Lane (Pigot's 1828-9)

Harriet Bell, dress maker, Wicker Lane (Pigot's 1828-9)

Thomas Walker, shopkeepers and dealers in groceries and sundries (Pigot's 1828-9)

and these from Blackwells Directory of 1828

Thomas Moore, hat manufacturers, Wicker Lane

William Clayton, Butcher of the Shambles, home Wicker Lane

Joseph Fearnehough & Co., manufacturers of saws, scythes, engine and chaff knives & c., Wicker Lane

Elizabeth Marples, dress maker, Wicker Lane.

Mail from Ron Clayton

"This was on a window lintel from 3 Wicker Lane-sadly lost in demolition after a fire [probably arson ] recently.
Tried to save it but alas failed this time-it was probably the oldest surviving building in the Wicker.
Best
Ron"

3 Wicker Lane -1829

attachicon.gif1829 DATE STONE.jpg

Photo - Mark Rodgers Photography

Not a big amount of data relating to Wicker Lane from this period, here's what I know of :

Elizabeth Lawton, dress maker, 22 Wicker Lane (Pigot's 1828-9)

Harriet Bell, dress maker, Wicker Lane (Pigot's 1828-9)

Thomas Walker, shopkeepers and dealers in groceries and sundries (Pigot's 1828-9)

and these from Blackwells Directory of 1828

Thomas Moore, hat manufacturers, Wicker Lane

William Clayton, Butcher of the Shambles, home Wicker Lane

Joseph Fearnehough & Co., manufacturers of saws, scythes, engine and chaff knives & c., Wicker Lane

Elizabeth Marples, dress maker, Wicker Lane.

July 11, 1857

And I don't think this one on Pond Street is on the list either:

1909.thumb.jpg.0003be091882edbc8d583f410

I would have told you on which post it was on but our posts don't seem to be numbered anymore.

Anyway it is on page 22 , not a good picture I must admit, yours is much brighter.

I would have told you on which post it was on but our posts don't seem to be numbered anymore.

Anyway it is on page 22 , not a good picture I must admit, yours is much brighter.

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/5292-date-stones-on-sheffield-buildings/&do=findComment&comment=89247

I have to admit that I didn't check through the whole topic, just looking at the list on page 1 (which, now I look again, I can see has not been updated since 2010)

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/5292-date-stones-on-sheffield-buildings/&do=findComment&comment=89247

I have to admit that I didn't check through the whole topic, just looking at the list on page 1 (which, now I look again, I can see has not been updated since 2010)

That would be my fault, sorry, I'll update the list over the next couple of days.

That would be my fault, sorry, I'll update the list over the next couple of days.

Phew......

I was worried that by mentioning it I would be volunteering myself for the task. That is how things work in one of the organisations I am involved with