Date-Stones on Sheffield Buildings

Guest plain talker

timestamp='1334046344' post='105134']

Here's my photographs. Thanks, Steve.

Like you say "built in "1909"

The 1836 is probably the year that the Banking Co. was formed/founded,

wonder what banking co. it was ?

Gilbert Feltrup, Manager, Sheffield & Hallamshire Bank, 729 Chesterfield Road (White's 1911) + Census image

Gilbert Feltrup Manager, London Joint City & Midland Bank Limited, 729 Chesterfield Road White's; home 1 Chantrey Road (White's 1919)

Gilbert Spencer Feltrup, Manager, Midland Bank Ltd., 729 Chesterfield Road; h. 1 Chantrey Road (Kelly's 1925)

Like you say "built in "1909" The 1836 is probably the year that the Banking Co. was formed/founded, wonder what banking co. it was ?

and here the building isn't in 1904 ...

I don't know whether this one has perhaps already been added into the data-base / pool / whatever, sorry if I am just replicating, but there's "1836" in the top of the angled elevation of what is currently a branch of HSBC, on the corner of Chesterfield Road and what I think is Chantrey Road.

What intrigues me is that over the door lower down in the elevation, it says "1909".

As far as my stylistic intuitions go, the building seems more likely to have been erected 1909 than 1836. Also the whole area strikes me as unlikely to have been much built-up yet by the 1830s. Perhaps 1836 was the year that whatever organisation that originally occupied the building was founded.

Does anyone know the story / stories?

I have pictures, but I do not know how to upload.

What about these two?

They look like your next "w'ere the 'ell's that" for the RETRO Tozzin.

If so perhaps you shouldn't reveal the answer until it has been published.

They look like your next "w'ere the 'ell's that" for the RETRO Tozzin.

If so perhaps you shouldn't reveal the answer until it has been published.

Youre right & I wont

Answer to the whereabouts of these stones see tonights RETRO (21/4/2012)

Already bought it, seen it and read it.

However, I'm saying nowt so that anyone who has not seen the Retro (Richard) can have a go on here.

Been out walking the streets again, and found a few more to add to the list.

War Memorial Hall, Brook Hill: 1925

Where and what is Regent Court please; I know the flats on Bradfield Road but I thought they were 1936 or thereabouts ...

Regent Court, Portobello, 1992

Where and what is Regent Court please; I know the flats on Bradfield Road but I thought they were 1936 or thereabouts ...

Regent Court is one of the new(ish) buildings of Sheffield University. It is on Portobello and is home to Computer Science and the School of Health and Related Research. It is building no. 166 on the University map

I couldn't get a better view of the building as a whole with the date stone still noticeable.

What about these two?

We never did get the full answer to this one, and not all members on here take the 'Sheffield Star'

I for one don't.

Pinstone Street, and from what I can make out both entrances had connections to the Salvation Army Citadel.

Holly Mount, Sandygate Road

Apologies for the poor image quality. It is taken from the top deck of a bus. I wouldn't have seen the date otherwise.

Holly Mount, Sandygate Road

Apologies for the poor image quality. It is taken from the top deck of a bus. I wouldn't have seen the date otherwise.

1841 census shows George and Elizabeth Green (he was a Stonemason) at Hallam Head:

Guest akademik

The Official List was posted as long ago as 9 Jan 2009; so I do not know how much I am out of - uhm, well ...: - date!, by submitting an amendment to ye Official List almost five years later?

Nor am I really clear on what was the eventual verdict on the subsequently mooted Park Baths and Library, Duke Street: 1902 or 1912?

If the Duke St date is set as 1902, then it seems as if a gap had to be left in Official List for 1912.

Over the window over the fennel in between Dovercourt Road, house numbers 130 and 132, there is a sharply pointed triangle; and in the triangle, there is the date 1912 (19 on top, 12 underneath).

I think 1912 has to be taken to apply to the entire foursome, house numbers 128 - 134; perhaps to the entire terrace, house numbers 112 - 134 (the earliest Directory that I have seen 128 - 134 registered in is the one for 1916 - and in 1916, it is indeed 112 - 134 that are all registered for the first time; in the Directory for 1913, they are all still absent).

I have a photograph; but I am not sure that I know how to upload that onto this site. If it doesn't work, the triangle-cum-date can be alternatively be seen quite well, however, on Google Maps using the yellow mannikin.

The Official List was posted as long ago as 9 Jan 2009; so I do not know how much I am out of - uhm, well ...: - date!, by submitting an amendment to ye Official List almost five years later?

Nor am I really clear on what was the eventual verdict on the subsequently mooted Park Baths and Library, Duke Street: 1902 or 1912?

If the Duke St date is set as 1902, then it seems as if a gap had to be left in Official List for 1912.

Over the window over the fennel in between Dovercourt Road, house numbers 130 and 132, there is a sharply pointed triangle; and in the triangle, there is the date 1912 (19 on top, 12 underneath).

I think 1912 has to be taken to apply to the entire foursome, house numbers 128 - 134; perhaps to the entire terrace, house numbers 112 - 134 (the earliest Directory that I have seen 128 - 134 registered in is the one for 1916 - and in 1916, it is indeed 112 - 134 that are all registered for the first time; in the Directory for 1913, they are all still absent).

I have a photograph; but I am not sure that I know how to upload that onto this site. If it doesn't work, the triangle-cum-date can be alternatively be seen quite well, however, on Google Maps using the yellow mannikin.

c.1923

c.1953