From the Star "Time for Woodhead to Reopen?"

Hjdary

I'm a member of various of Woodhead groups over the net and I even model the route into computer games such as Trainz and Rail Simulator.

The argument is for a freight service over the Peninnes to Manchester, but there is also an argument for a commuter service from Penistone to Sheffield via the Upper Don Valley. This might involve a couple of CPO's as there are house virtually on the platform at Oughtibridge and Deepcar Station is now a private home.

Don't forget the trackbed is nearly 200 years old so it is practically solid and useable, but it still needs a lot of work.

I think some of these schemes are feasible but any route upgrade would not be on the previous scale and the chances are that it would not be electrified.

Thinking about it....if they built some sort of Park and ride at Deepcar the Woodhead could be used for travelers to Manchester and Comuters into Sheffield from Stocksbridge and the surounding areas. If the prices could be kept to a reasonable level....on a par with the supertram for instance then I'm sure the number of car journeys would dramatically fall.

It could also help with the dire situation in Mottram. The traffic levels there are stupid but it would appear no one wants to step up and help Mottram or the drivers who have to suffer driving through it.

Instead of compulsory purchase orders wouldn't it just be simpler to pop stations elsewhere?

I mean the track bed at oughtbirdge is very narrow, I reckon the houses must be about 6 feet away from the old down track. I would expect a line in each direction if it was to reopen that way via oughtibridge and with houses that close i would expect them to be demolished.

As the plan goes, these train trams they're talking about are diesel powered and they are expected to go via meadowhall and barnsley which seems a bit crackers as the trains already go there.

I reckon the houses must be about 6 feet away from the old down track.

I've heard that phrase before....down track. But what does it mean.

I saw an image once of a steam loco going like mad and the text under it called it the "up" train to where ever. I thought it had something to do with trains heading north and south...but what about those heading east/west......or have I got it wrong all together?

I've heard that phrase before....down track. But what does it mean.

I saw an image once of a steam loco going like mad and the text under it called it the "up" train to where ever. I thought it had something to do with trains heading north and south...but what about those heading east/west......or have I got it wrong all together?

Railway terminology Up to London Down from London. Doesn't always work . Railways are always designated either up or down line. Up line normally refers to the line going towards London from every direction, so from Sheffield it would be heading south and Brighton would be heading north. Hope this makes sense :mellow:

So the old down track would be the one on the left heading from Sheffield to Manchester then?

Yes that's right, but sometimes on Woodhead, and I suspect most route lines, where there are 4 tracks you might see track in an up, down, up, down or up, up, down down fashion.

I live close to the old railbed now called the transpennine trail, I think it would be great to reopen the line as currently the journey into Sheffield is damn near impossible, the Middlewood Road way is closed, the A61 still has major roadworks and the rail journey from Penistone goes a really circuitous route taking nearly an hour. Some locals have voiced concerns that it would detract from the area's beauty but hey, the trains were here before and we desperately need better transport links to Sheffield.

Some locals have voiced concerns that it would detract from the area's beauty but hey, the trains were here before and we desperately need better transport links to Sheffield.

I hate NIMBYies.

We had them round here a year or two back.....a local farmer wanted to sell off a bit of land to a comapny who intended to erect some wind turbines. I love the drive up to my Mams house in Durham because we pass all these turbines near Hartlepool.... they look great. But because of some people who thought their houses would be worth £1.50 less we are still burnig coal to create electric and Laughton has no beautiful windmills

Getting back to the Woodhead.......how can any one say that rail lines are ugly or detract?

Think of the Malton to Pickering......or Settle to Carlisle or how about the Peak line though to Matlock e.t.c?????

The quicker these homeowners realise that they have their own brains and dont have to simply follow the latest house price scare story in the Daily Mail the better. I cant see why they dont get it....yes at first some may be put off by the work men and noise of construction and there will be a bit of dust on their BMW 318's but in the long run the prices of thier Barrat Boxes will rise when others realise they are located to good transport links.

Go back to the 1960's....I'd bet my left ear that the people of...let say....Thorpe Hesley were whinging about the construction of the new motorway....but look at the place now...because of the motorway their houses are worth a fortune!!

I live close to the old railbed now called the transpennine trail, I think it would be great to reopen the line as currently the journey into Sheffield is damn near impossible, the Middlewood Road way is closed, the A61 still has major roadworks and the rail journey from Penistone goes a really circuitous route taking nearly an hour. Some locals have voiced concerns that it would detract from the area's beauty but hey, the trains were here before and we desperately need better transport links to Sheffield.

Totally agree, a commuter line to Penistone is a must.

Guest bus man

Yes I agree that that woodhead should reopen however, think some of his arguments are a bit strange , the current service from penistone to barnsley is the best its ever been and this only occured after the penistone - wadsley bridge - sheffield line was shut.

I believe that if the line was reopened it would be more as a through line than for local commuters, he also ignores / forgets to mention / doesn't know about the station problems ie after the closure of victoria services had to reverse at nunnery.

Yes I would love to see the woodhead open to local, through and frieght traffic however, think people need to be realistic as this article doesn't given any info on what the traffic levels will be or the funding for it

Yes I agree that that woodhead should reopen however, think some of his arguments are a bit strange , the current service from penistone to barnsley is th best its ever been and this only occured after the penistone - wadsley bridge - sheffield line was shut.

I believe that if the line was reopened it would be more as a through line than for local commuters, he also ignors / forgets to mention / doesnt know about the station problems ie after the closeure of victoria services had to reverse at nunnery.

Yes I would love to see the woodhead open to local, through and frieght traffic however , think people need to be realistic as this article doesnt given any info on what the traffic levels will be or the funding for it

I assume there are no major obstacles to prevent re-opening as far as Penistone/east of Woodhead tunnel, however I think it would be the tunnel it self that would be the prblem, the modern tunnel is used for power cables, which can not be re-routed easily, or can they?

As to a local service Stocksbridge / Penistone yes this would be great for thart area, but how much would it cost.

What about extending the Tram along the line.

Guest metalmickuk

I assume there are no major obstacles to prevent re-opening as far as Penistone/east of Woodhead tunnel, however I think it would be the tunnel it self that would be the prblem, the modern tunnel is used for power cables, which can not be re-routed easily, or can they?

As to a local service Stocksbridge / Penistone yes this would be great for thart area, but how much would it cost.

Another problem is the stocksbridge bye-pass cuts the old line completly at finckle street,it would need major work to reinstate.The tram idea would work right up to the steel works at stocksbridge by using a diesel powered unit, the line is still in use by the steel company.

Guest bus man

As far as I know the cables are not in the new tunnel yet , that is what the current inquirery is about, there may be some problems with the stocksbridge bypass.

The tram idea would be a good one and as been sugested perhaps a loop round stocksbridge

As far as I know the cables are not in the new tunnel yet , that is what the current inquirery is about, there may be some problems with the stocksbridge bypass.

The tram idea would be a good one and as been sugested perhaps a loop round stocksbridge

A least the electric cable issue is a positive note

Guest metalmickuk

A loop would work in the valley bottom to service the propossed new development at stocksbridge , if it ever gets the green light and a major housing scheme at deepcar.The investment would be fantasic for the whole area.

Merged a previous topic with this one

Link to National Grid Site re cables in the tunnel