Athol Hotel

Stuart0742

As long as I can remember The Athol Hotel building has looked like this, when did it close late 50's early 60's

The ground level garage area may have changed colours over the years but the upper floors don't seem to change.

Why has the sign remained in place for so long?

What will happen with the regeneration of the area?

As long as I can remember The Athol Hotel building has looked like this, when did it close late 50's early 60's

The ground level garage area may have changed colours over the years but the upper floors don't seem to change.

Why has the sign remained in place for so long?

What will happen with the regeneration of the area?

Where is that Stuart?

Where is that Stuart?

The junction of Cross Burgess st and Burgess st, just by the entrance to Coles carpark at the rear of the shop.

The junction of Cross Burgess st and Burgess st, just by the entrance to Coles carpark at the rear of the shop.

The other entrance to The Athol building is on Charles Street. You could walk in one side and out the other. It was still open in 1965.

The other entrance to The Athol building is on Charles Street. You could walk in one side and out the other. It was still open in 1965.

This must be the Charles St side of the Athol Hotel

This must be the Charles St side of the Athol Hotel

In late 1960's-early '70s it was always a gaudy jewellery shop, always painted in bright colours.

Always said maps were great

Until about June last year, I was actually quite keen. Now, I'm in recovery, but, I do like to see a nicely deployed map-linkage, kinda makes the whole map-thing worthwhile.

If the wifelette offers to buy me Maps for my Birthday this year she may not find me quite so receptive to the idea ... lol

Guest davekowl

As I remember, the Athol sold Youngers Scotch Bitter which was a dark coloured beer with a bit of a tangy taste. It had different scotch tartans

in picture frames hung on the wall.Had many a good night in there in the early 60s

As I remember, the Athol sold Youngers Scotch Bitter which was a dark coloured beer with a bit of a tangy taste. It had different scotch tartans

in picture frames hung on the wall.Had many a good night in there in the early 60s

Yongers Scotch Bitter doesn't sound too grand; still could have been Watney's Red Barrel or Brew Ten ... anyone remember other revolting Pints ?