Peter Owen Jones, Sheffield artist

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

I wonder if the time might be right to try to stimulate a revival of interest in the work of Peter Owen Jones, an artist who produced some superb paintings of Sheffield scenes. I am told that a few years ago there were postcards of some of his paintings on sale in the city, but I have been unable to find any that are available in the shops now.

I know that Peter's son and daughter have produced a DVD about their father, and there is a possibility that they may do a book of pictures if there is a big enough demand.

Peter certainly deserves a place among the celebrated names of Sheffield!

Old Canny Street Kid said:
I wonder if the time might be right to try to stimulate a revival of interest in the work of Peter Owen Jones, an artist who produced some superb paintings of Sheffield scenes. I am told that a few years ago there were postcards of some of his paintings on sale in the city, but I have been unable to find any that are available in the shops now.

I know that Peter's son and daughter have produced a DVD about their father, and there is a possibility that they may do a book of pictures if there is a big enough demand.

Peter certainly deserves a place among the celebrated names of Sheffield!

I agree Old Canny Street Kid,

what a fantastic local artist!

Link ... Peter Owen Jones

link repaired. shb

I agree Old Canny Street Kid,

what a fantastic local artist!

Peter Owen Jones

As I have said on the Brightside thread, one of the best of the Peter Owen Jones pictures is of Brightside tram terminus. It is very evocative, and, for me, brings back memories of how as kids we played "floodlit" football in the tram waiting room at that terminus!

I would love to find a print or postcard showing that picture.

As I have said on the Brightside thread, one of the best of the Peter Owen Jones pictures is of Brightside tram terminus. It is very evocative, and, for me, brings back memories of how as kids we played "floodlit" football in the tram waiting room at that terminus!

I would love to find a print or postcard showing that picture.

I'd love to see that - one talented railway porter!

Peter Owen Jones (1933 - 1993)

Peter Owen Jones was a prolific and highly accomplished artist. His paintings form a solid memorial to the railway era. His ability to translate his memories to canvas and watercolour are a testament to his complete understanding and respect of both the subjects he painted, and the mediums in which he worked.

Peter was born in the Peak District village of Bradwell in 1933. As a small boy he would regularly travel on the Hope Valley Line, into Sheffield via the Totley Tunnel. Eventually moving to the city, Peter later went to Sheffield College of Art and studied a Diploma in Art and Illustration.

During his study years he worked as a night porter at the Sheffield Midland Station. In the quiet hours he would be found sketching the engines and the folk waiting to board them.

I'd love to see that - one talented railway porter!

Peter Owen Jones (1933 - 1993)

Peter Owen Jones was a prolific and highly accomplished artist. His paintings form a solid memorial to the railway era. His ability to translate his memories to canvas and watercolour are a testament to his complete understanding and respect of both the subjects he painted, and the mediums in which he worked.

Peter was born in the Peak District village of Bradwell in 1933. As a small boy he would regularly travel on the Hope Valley Line, into Sheffield via the Totley Tunnel. Eventually moving to the city, Peter later went to Sheffield College of Art and studied a Diploma in Art and Illustration.

During his study years he worked as a night porter at the Sheffield Midland Station. In the quiet hours he would be found sketching the engines and the folk waiting to board them.

As I've mentioned on Sheffield Forum,I have all bar 1 or 2 of P.O.Jones' Sheffield tram pictures (not the trains).One of the ones I can't find is 'A WET NIGHT' (Ecclesall Rd).If anyone knows where one is available I would be grateful if they could let me know (Peter taught me).Thanks.

As I've mentioned on Sheffield Forum,I have all bar 1 or 2 of P.O.Jones' Sheffield tram pictures (not the trains).One of the ones I can't find is 'A WET NIGHT' (Ecclesall Rd).If anyone knows where one is available I would be grateful if they could let me know (Peter taught me).Thanks.

Still hoping that someone might come across a "forgotten" batch of Peter's pictures on postcards!

Guest transit

Still hoping that someone might come across a "forgotten" batch of Peter's pictures on postcards!

....try the little picture frame shop up the side of Banners on Attercliffe Common. Has stored pictures for years !!!! ;-)