Scrap yard, bottom of Whitehouse Lane

RichardB

I think most of it has been levelled - but nothing there to replace it (off the top of my head - it's funny how you can pass somewhere loads of times and not actually take it in!).

In the 50's it was a manufacturing company called Mellowes owned it ( don't know what they produced) later and last it was Kelvin metals that later it was a subsidiary og G B Housley who are on Effingham Road. Reason for knowing this in the 50's I had grandparents who has a sweet shop and coach garage just back fom the corner on the other side to the left of the picture. also my mother use to work for Housleys

We took a picture of it for you today - I'm sure Neil will upload it shortly.

It is levelled and surrounded by a white fence now - no signage as to what they're doing there though.

Apologies for a crappy picture - I was shooting into the sun and we were getting hassle so didn't want to hang around too long

Thanks for the picture, so a bit survives huh ? This was the site of a brewery, Crown Brewery I believe, but also the site of the original Sheffield Barracks. Infirmary Road and Langsett road didn't used to join, and Whitehouse Lane didn't used to have the bend at the very bottom, indeed Whitehouse Lane used to extend and join Infirmary Road much further on towards town. Check an old map.

Thanks again.

Question for you Richard.

Across the road from there - there are a number of roads going down from infirmary road to penistone road

Have any of these gone missing that you know of ?

Reason I ask is that we were trying to find the following location today and couldn't

I would have put money on it being Barrack Lane but we took pics and it just didn't look right..

So now we are thinking it's maybe where the bingo hall is now and that a road was built over ?

Damn

I've just looked at the pics we took and I feel a bit of a nobber as I've just realised it COULD be Barrack Lane but that we didn't go down far enough

grrr...

Here's the pic we took

Actually... looked again and it might NOT be Barrack Lane - as the ski village and the cooling tower thingy are in the wrong place ??

Now I'm very confused

The production team used some very interesting lenses on the movie that allowed some quite unique views

Can only think of Thirza Road/Street whatever and anything to do with Bowling Street, age getting the better of me, and I'm only young, must be the red wine ! I sed to be very partial to Wards... way back when

We know from doing some location pictures today that the techniques and lenses used in the film were really clever and they managed some amazing angles

But this street confuses the heck out of me

Looking on http://www.flashearth.com it seems like it would be definitely barrack lane..

If it IS then we didn't go down far enough for the shot

I said we should go further down!!!

Although the Tower and the Ski Village still didn't look to align right.

I think it may be Balaclava Road rather than Barrack Lane.... the view looks to be from further round to the side of the gas holders.

They used a long lens for that shot so everything is compressed.

Balaclava Rd has that green wasteland at the bottom, Barrack Ln doesn't appear to have it.

Guest maxwell

Its Ash Lane,the sign is still on the wall at the top of the lane,just round the corner is a pub that used to be called The Wellington ,opposite the old Kelvin metals.

Passed the old Kelvin Metals- barracks today, had a word with a chap sat outside, he says its going to be flats, and he dosen't think any of the old stonework will be used back into it, some of the shops at the side are due for demolition as well.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee164/p...10/100_0053.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee164/p...10/100_0054.jpg

If anyone is passing, I'd love to see what is here now.

Thanks.

Passed today Richard, as you can see not a great deal happening for a "working day".

I've heard rumours that due to current housing situation (prices) that some schemes in Sheffield have been mothballed for the time being ....... not that I am saying this is the situation here.

Thank you very much for those pictures, gone completely - still at least there will be some new, over-priced, unsellable, tiny apartments there one day - when the economy recovers (current estimate 2037).

Hi...

Anyone remember the old aeroplane that sat up top of kelvin scrap metals?

i sat in it once, maybe around 1957 ish

My Grandfather used to buy scrap, clean it of copper etc then resell it back to them.

He had a reight walk with his wooden barrow back up to hoole street.

As for the gas tank pic, i guess it nearer wood street. we lived on thirza in the 50s. thirza led straight to wood street going west.

Guest lucie

there were plans to put a hostel for the homeless and probationers on the site of the old scrapyard, but locals went crazy and so now the council are formulating new plans-theyve been doing this for 3 years tho, so doubt much will happen....wish they'd get rid of white fences tho-its a bugger turning right off langsett rd coz u cant see whats coming down the hill at a rate of knots on the wrong side of road!!