Telegraph 1986

RichardB

Nice one Richard - the cartoon is touching and I bet there were a few tears shed by the staff that day..

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

Nice one Richard - the cartoon is touching and I bet there were a few tears shed by the staff that day..

The Sheffield Telegraph, later known as the Morning Telegraph, was a great newspaper, and many local people still miss it. It was without doubt one of the leading provincial morning newspapers in Britain, and it was a tragedy to see it close in 1986. It would be great if on this site we could begin to compile a list of some of the journalists who worked on the Telegraph down the years --if only for posterity!

Here's a few names to begin with:

Peter Tinniswood, Peter Harvey (one of the greatest all-round journalists in the paper's history), Keith Graves (later a BBC TV and SKY man), John Motson (of Match of the Day fame), George Hopkinson, Geoff Baylis, Frazer Wright, Alf Dow, Leslie Daniells, John Harris (later a famous writer whose novel The Sea Shall Not Have Them was a best-seller), David Hopkinson (was national Journalist of the Year in 1963), Mike Finley, Pat Roberts, Jack Westwood, Stuart Machin, lol Hunter, Monty Marston, Len Ellis (Fortunatus), Frank Taylor (a reporter who survived ther Munich Air Disaster in 1958).

The Sheffield Telegraph, later known as the Morning Telegraph, was a great newspaper, and many local people still miss it. It was without doubt one of the leading provincial morning newspapers in Britain, and it was a tragedy to see it close in 1986. It would be great if on this site we could begin to compile a list of some of the journalists who worked on the Telegraph down the years --if only for posterity!

Here's a few names to begin with:

Peter Tinniswood, Peter Harvey (one of the greatest all-round journalists in the paper's history), Keith Graves (later a BBC TV and SKY man), John Motson (of Match of the Day fame), George Hopkinson, Geoff Baylis, Frazer Wright, Alf Dow, Leslie Daniells, John Harris (later a famous writer whose novel The Sea Shall Not Have Them was a best-seller), David Hopkinson (was national Journalist of the Year in 1963), Mike Finley, Pat Roberts, Jack Westwood, Stuart Machin, lol Hunter, Monty Marston, Len Ellis (Fortunatus), Frank Taylor (a reporter who survived ther Munich Air Disaster in 1958).

John Harris also wrote 'Covenant with Death', which was based on the story of the Sheffield Pals.

Peter Tinniswood went on to write novels and many tv scripts, but is perhaps best remembered in these parts for the Brandon family saga, 'I didn't know you cared'.

And wasn't Margaret Drabble a Telegraph journalist at one time?

John Harris also wrote 'Covenant with Death', which was based on the story of the Sheffield Pals.

Peter Tinniswood went on to write novels and many tv scripts, but is perhaps best remembered in these parts for the Brandon family saga, 'I didn't know you cared'.

And wasn't Margaret Drabble a Telegraph journalist at one time?

No, Margaret was born in Nether Edge, the daughter of a Judge, but she was never a journalist. She and her sister both became novelists. I think they went away to university and did not come back to Sheffield.

Re John Harris, he was not only a writer, he had a spell early in his career as a cartoonist. He was a fascinating man, actually came from Rotherham, and, indeed, started out on the Rotherham Advertiser.

I am not sure, but I think Tinniswood had spells on both the Sheffield papers, though many people associate him with the Telegraph. In the Telegraph he wrote a series about travelling around Derbyshire on a donkey --I suppose he got the idea from R.L. Stevenson's Travels on a Donkey!

It would be great if on this site we could begin to compile a list of some of the journalists who worked on the Telegraph down the years --if only for posterity!

The late lamented Peter Harvey started to compile just such a list. See http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/story.asp?st...p;sectioncode=1

For an update, see Keith Farnsworth's post in the Sheffield Telegraph/Star thread on the Sheffield Indexers forum at

http://www.sheffieldindexers.com/ForumIndex.html

Judith in France

The lead story is interesting, Henry Boot obviously failed with the plans for the supermarket.

The Oakes is a Christian Holiday Centre now. http://www.oakes.org.uk/ My kids have had some fantastic weekends there.

Here's a bit more on John Harris, with samples of his cartoons.

Here's a bit more on John Harris, with samples of his cartoons.

Here's a reminder that David Hopkinson, of the Sheffield Telegraph, won the Journalist of the Year Award. That was when the Telegraph was GREAT!

Here's a reminder that David Hopkinson, of the Sheffield Telegraph, won the Journalist of the Year Award. That was when the Telegraph was GREAT!

Here's a picture of Mike Finley, who succeeded David Hopkinson as editor of the Sheffield Telegraph and was at the helm when the paper became the Morning Telegraph.

Here's a picture of Mike Finley, who succeeded David Hopkinson as editor of the Sheffield Telegraph and was at the helm when the paper became the Morning Telegraph.

I wonder if anyone has any knowledge of C.M. Monty Marston, who was a well-known sportswriter on the old Sheffield Telegraph for many years up to the time of his death on 29th December 1959. He covered both football and cricket, and was especially popular for his cricket reports. I did hear that in the latter stages of his time on the paper he was pushed aside by a later arrival called Ross Jenkinson.