Pitsmoor

dunsbyowl1867

There is always the possibility the houses at the top end were renumbered when the whole road became Pistmoor Road ie between 1861-1881.

In 1881 the Jeffcocks are at no 249 which is pictured above they may have moved but the renumbering seems more likely

And therefore these are the first two "posh houses" in that run - if the Jeffcocks lived in the one on the left - your fishers would have been in the one on the right. As my previous post said though - only a semi - detached!

no 249/251 Pitsmoor Road

(One further check - can you access the next few census pages and find the vicar of Pitsmoor - the vicarage is in that run but may no have been the vicarage in 1861)?

And therefore these are the first two "posh houses" in that run - if the Jeffcocks lived in the one on the left - your fishers would have been in the one on the right. As my previous post said though - only a semi - detached!

no 249/251 Pitsmoor Road

(One further check - can you access the next few census pages and find the vicar of Pitsmoor - the vicarage is in that run but may no have been the vicarage in 1861)?

I think this should prove the above - so the Jeffcocks were at 121 Woodside/Pitsmoor = 249 Pitsmoor Road & Fishers were at 123 Woodside/Pitsmoor = 251 Pitsmoor Road.

Apparently built circa 1825 and now listed building - though obviously not the windows!!!

1857 White's Directory Jeffcock Thos. Dunn, Land and mineral agt,

18 Bank st; h 121 Woodside, Pitsmoor

Thanks :) if your confused I certainly am, the whole renumbering situation sounds feasible, thankyou

JP

Listing entry for 249 & 251

Listing Text

SHEFFIELD

SK38NE PITSMOOR ROAD

784-1/6/596 (West side)

28/06/73 Nos.249 AND 251

II

2 houses, now offices. c1825 with mid C19 and C20 alterations.

Ashlar and brick with hipped slate roofs. Plinth, first floor

band, moulded eaves. Symmetrical pair, each with a slightly

projecting centre. 2 storeys; 10 window range of plain sashes.

2 painted stone Greek Doric porticoes, each flanked by 2 tall

wooden cross casements. C20 half-glazed doors with overlights.

INTERIOR: No.251, to right, has a cantilevered open well

wooden staircase with iron stick balusters.

Listing NGR: SK3541189041

Pitsmoor Road was previously called Pye Bank. Now I'm completely confused

The botton part used to be called Pye Bank but as you can

see on this 1851 map they are not quite sure themselves.

It says Pye Bank OR Pitsmoor Road.

Does anyone know why Pye Bank changed to Pitsmoor road?

Seems like as they were indecisive themselves it wasn't that important to change the name? I quite like the name Pye Bank :)

JP

According to this map Pye Bank and Pitsmoor road existed

together side by side, running parallel with each other.

That's food for thought, I always thought it was a continuation.

Zoom in and see.

Zoom in and see.

Well spotted, a bit like Where's Wally for me...

Zoom in and see.

Hi,

The Pye Bank Road shown on the map used to be Pitsmoor Road. When they redeveloped the Woodside area in the early 1960s, It was decide to creat a new road through the area and this was given the name Pitsmoor Road. The section up from Mowbray Street was the same for both versions of Pitsmoor Road but once it passed over the railway, the new version vered to the left and made a much easier climb up the hill before reconnecting with the old road, near Christ Church.

Because of differences in elevation and other problems, the lower end of the old Pitsmoor Road (now renamed Pye Bank Road) was disconnected from the rest of the road but this would have made it a dead end. Therefore, it was decided to connect it with Rock Street instead. This connection was a new piece of road that didnt exist before.

Looking at the map, I would say the details were as it was in the early1960's when the old Woodside area and the area above the railway (ie. Marcus Drive, Neville Drive) had had been redeveloped. I drove up the new version Pitsmoor Road for the first time in the spring of 1964 and even then, it had been in use for some time.

The Map also shows the older part around Nottinghams Street, Thistle Street, Verdon Street, etc. to still be in place. My mother lived on Thistle Street and that area wasn't wasn't cleared until the spring/summer of 1968.

Regards

Well thanks Falls,

You have more or less given me a date for this map.

I've search high and low on the back and front of this book and there's no date.

I wish they would date these things

I know the feeling when people don't date things. There's nothing more annoying when you have a family photo album and you don't know who anyone is! I have a victorian family album and I don't even know the last names of the people in it!

Hi,

The Pye Bank Road shown on the map used to be Pitsmoor Road. When they redeveloped the Woodside area in the early 1960s, It was decide to creat a new road through the area and this was given the name Pitsmoor Road. The section up from Mowbray Street was the same for both versions of Pitsmoor Road but once it passed over the railway, the new version vered to the left and made a much easier climb up the hill before reconnecting with the old r in oad, near Christ Church.

Because of differences in elevation and other problems, the lower end of the old Pitsmoor Road (now renamed Pye Bank Road) was disconnected from the rest of the road but this would have made it a dead end. Therefore, it was decided to connect it with Rock Street instead. This connection was a new piece of road that didnt exist before.

Looking at the map, I would say the details were as it was in the early1960's when the old Woodside area and the area above the railway (ie. Marcus Drive, Neville Drive) had had been redeveloped. I drove up the new version Pitsmoor Road for the first time in the spring of 1964 and even then, it had been in use for some time.

The Map also shows the older part around Nottinghams Street, Thistle Street, Verdon Street, etc. to still be in place. My mother lived on Thistle Street and that area wasn't wasn't cleared until the spring/summer of 1968.

Regards

HI Falls

l was interested in this topic as l worked all round this area as a joiner for Frank Astling on Somerset rd [above the old quarry] in 1941 to 48, One place was the Vicarage [ Dunsbyowl mentioned] we went to repair some defective flooring in the hall there was very thick lino and carpeting it was only this that held it together and the dry rot had affected the whole of the hall,. When the Vicar saw this he said Good Gracious and off he went when he came back we had bared the Dining Room floor for his inspection,[ that was the same]

When he came in later balancing precariously on the battens we had put down the hall, my mate shouted be careful, but a little too late he went through and his vocabulary changed from Good Gracious to God All Mighty and when we helped him up and sat him down he was very distressed to the point of tears, we asked if he had hurt himself he said no l am upset for blaspheming one should never take the Lord's name in vain And with unconscious humour, my mate said we won't tell anyone if you don't. Cheers Skeets PS no one has mentioned Woodside Lane