Pitsmoor

dunsbyowl1867

And across the road a run of large interesting houses.

This one possibly one of the grandest semi-detached houses in the area! Now offering 'luxury' bedsits at £40 per week - sounds a bargain! Not too sure about the windows!

Next up 'Kashmir House' - as is, but what was it called it originally?

Guest Trefcon

Dunsby, surprised you didn't get a pic of the 'Arch' thats shown around the trough the horse is drinking from in your first pic, its still there in the wall.

Dean.

Dunsby, surprised you didn't get a pic of the 'Arch' thats shown around the trough the horse is drinking from in your first pic, its still there in the wall.

Dean.

I walked past it - I have never noticed that before Dean!

Guest Gramps

This is the thread you wanted the maps for ? Dunno why I couldn't see it earlier :unsure:

Anyway

I believe when it was built this developemt was called 'Woodside'. Good to see most of these old houses still in use.

This is the thread you wanted the maps for ? Dunno why I couldn't see it earlier :unsure:

Thank you Gramps - I only did it after I lol mailed you

Anyone know what happened to these ?

from Wikipedia

There have been small finds of Roman coins throughout the Sheffield area, for example 19 coins were found near Meadowhall in 1891,[15] 13 in Pitsmoor in 1906,

Guest Gramps

Anyone know what happened to these ?

from Wikipedia

There have been small finds of Roman coins throughout the Sheffield area, for example 19 coins were found near Meadowhall in 1891,[15] 13 in Pitsmoor in 1906,

Weston Park Museum Store ??

The citation is The Antiquary XLII (November): p406. 1906. If you were in th US you could read it directly in Google Books.

Central Reference Library will have it but you'll need to pre-order it from store. There used to be a way to read such articles via the NMR website, when I get the time I'll see if I can find my way there again ;-)

Also worth checking the index to the Hunter Archaeological Society volumes in Local Studies.

Edit : Perhaps this is the Pitsmoor find ?

Description

A number of Roman silver coins together with sherds of Derbyshire-ware, presumed to be fragments of the urn that had contained the coins, were found in 1906 in digging the foundations of a house on the S.W. side of Scott Road, 200 yds. N.W. of the Roman Rig and near the crest of the hill. The houses numbered 126 & 128 are named 'Roman Villas' and bear the date 1907. The hoard was dispersed, but 35 coins, Vitellius to Marcus Aurelius (AD 69-180), all that could be recovered, are now in Sheffield City Museum and have the accession numbers J. 1906. 25. A late 2nd century hoard.

SHEFFIELD; SHEFFIELD; SOUTH YORKSHIRE; ENGLAND

Grid ref. OSGB - SK 3629 8946

Grid ref. LL - 001 27 14 W 53 24 01 N

Subject type

COIN HOARD, FIND, FINDSPOT

Period

161 - 199, ROMAN

Weston Park Museum Store ??

The citation is The Antiquary XLII (November): p406. 1906. If you were in th US you could read it directly in Google Books.

Central Reference Library will have it but you'll need to pre-order it from store. There used to be a way to read such articles via the NMR website, when I get the time I'll see if I can find my way there again ;-)

Also worth checking the index to the Hunter Archaeological Society volumes in Local Studies.

Edit : Perhaps this is the Pitsmoor find ?

Description

A number of Roman silver coins together with sherds of Derbyshire-ware, presumed to be fragments of the urn that had contained the coins, were found in 1906 in digging the foundations of a house on the S.W. side of Scott Road, 200 yds. N.W. of the Roman Rig and near the crest of the hill. The houses numbered 126 & 128 are named 'Roman Villas' and bear the date 1907. The hoard was dispersed, but 35 coins, Vitellius to Marcus Aurelius (AD 69-180), all that could be recovered, are now in Sheffield City Museum and have the accession numbers J. 1906. 25. A late 2nd century hoard.

SHEFFIELD; SHEFFIELD; SOUTH YORKSHIRE; ENGLAND

Grid ref. OSGB - SK 3629 8946

Grid ref. LL - 001 27 14 W 53 24 01 N

Subject type

COIN HOARD, FIND, FINDSPOT

Period

161 - 199, ROMAN

Great stuff Gramps - wonder if they are on show? ;-)

Dean.

Thanks for the nod Dean - the Pitsmoor Rd horse trough

February 2009 pw

Couldn't find my map of Pitsmoor but have finally worked out what this building was .

Old cobbled lane in front

Across the road from the Tollbar and hiding behind the modern facarde of Unigraph is the former Pitsmoor Church Day School opened in 1836 with money raised by public subcription and a grant from the 1833 School Bill. Classrooms were given by T.W Watson of Shirecliffe Hall. The school pre-dated ChristChurch by 14 years and for this period served as the venue for worship during this time.

The school was temporaily closed because of bombing and was eventually sold for the sum of £3,500. Prior to Unigraph the building was used by Wigfalls as a furniture store.

This one possibly one of the grandest semi-detached houses in the area! Now offering 'luxury' bedsits at £40 per week - sounds a bargain! Not too sure about the windows!

I did a bit of research on these houses a couple of years back

here they are 1881,

1881 census

Household:

Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability

Maria JEFFCOCK Head W female 78 Sheffield, York, England

Maria L. JEFFCOCK Daur U Female 42 Ecclesfield, York, England

Victoria J. FOX Serv M Female 35 Dalston, Middlesex, England Cook Domestic Servant

Mary Jane WILSON Serv U Female 21 Tyrone Co, Ireland Housemaid Domestic Servant

Thomas FOX Serv M Male 37 Wilden, Bedford, England Coachman Domestic Servant

Source Information:

Dwelling 249 Pitsmoor Rd

Census Place Brightside Bierlow, York, England

Family History Library Film 1342126

Public Records Office Reference RG11

Piece / Folio 4660 / 4

Page Number 1

----------------------------------------------------------

Susannah BECKETT Head W Female 69 Sheffield, York, England

Joseph S. BECKETT Son U Male 39 Sheffield, York, England Saw Manufacturer

Alice BECKETT Daur U Female 30 Sheffield, York, England

Edward BECKETT Son U Male 28 Sheffield, York, England Surveyor & Mining Engineer

Elizh. BURGIN Serv U Female 17 Sheffield, York, England Cook Domestic Servant

Source Information:

Dwelling 251 Pitsmoor Rd

Census Place Brightside Bierlow, York, England

Family History Library Film 1342126

Public Records Office Reference RG11

Piece / Folio 4660 / 4

Page Number 1

----------------------------------------------------------

Dwelling: 253 Pitsmoor Rd

Census Place: Brightside Bierlow, York, England

Source: FHL Film 1342126 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 4660 Folio 4 Page 1

Marr Age Sex Birthplace

Mary COOPER W 67 F Sheffield, York, England

Rel: Head

Annie PEARSON U 22 F Metheringham, Lincoln, England

Rel: Serv

Occ: Cook Domestic Servant

Emma HOWE U 27 F Sheffield, York, England

Occ: Housemaid Domestic Servant

Dwelling: 253 Pitsmoor Rd

Source: FHL Film 1342126 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 4660 Folio 4 Page 1

Marr Age Sex Birthplace

Henry Joeph. WILSON M 47 M Radford, Nottingham, England

Occ: Manftr Viz Smelter & Refiner Of Gold & Silver

Charlotte C. WILSON M 47 F Scotland

Rel: Wife

Cecil Hy. WILSON U 18 M Mansfield, Nottingham, England

Rel: Son

Occ: Undergraduate Of London Univerty Assistant To Analytical Chemist

Helen M. WILSON U 16 F Woodhouse Mansfield, Nottingham, England

Rel: Daur

Occ: Scholar

Alexander C. WILSON U 14 M Woodhouse Mansfield, Nottingham, England

Oliver C. WILSON U 13 M Rotherham, York, England

Gertrude M. WILSON U 4 F Sheffield, York, England

Charles C. NEWSHAM U 9 M Bengal, India

Rel: Nephew

Sarah A. CROOKES U 22 F Arksey Bentley, York, England

Occ: Nurse Domestic Servant

Emily FULLILOVE U 26 F Ecclesfield, York, England

Emily WHITHAM U 19 F Sheffield, York, England

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dwelling: 257 Pitsmoor Rd (The Vicarage)

Source: FHL Film 1342126 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 4660 Folio 4 Page 2

Marr Age Sex Birthplace

Samuel CHORLTON M 43 M Hyde, Cheshire, England

Occ: Vicar Of Pitsmoor Sheffield Master Of Arts

Ann E. CHORLTON M 46 F London, Middlesex, England

Rel: Wife

Occ: Clergymans Wife

Samuel W. CHORLTON 13 M Sheffield, York, England

John H. CHORLTON 11 M Sheffield, York, England

Eliza Jane CHORLTON 10 F Sheffield, York, England

Clara Lucy CHORLTON 8 F Sheffield, York, England

Jane GAGE W 75 F Plurhyn, Cornwall, England

Rel: Mother In Law

Occ: Annuitant

Ann GAGE U 78 F Falmouth, Cornwall, England

Rel: Wifes Aunt Handicap: Deaf

Occ: Annuitant

Emily PEARCE U 26 F Sheffield, York, England

Sarah WARD U 23 F Sheffield, York, England

Emma DIXON 13 F Sheffield, York, England

Occ: Kitchen Maid Domestic Servant

I did a bit of research on these houses a couple of years back

here they are 1881,

Thanks very much Neddy - there are very interesting - always good to put names to places and here is a face!

'Canon Chorlton, my friend some years before my ordination, as he was the friend of many other young men, was another of the best-known and widely-respected clergymen of the city. After being second master of the Sheffield Grammar School, he succeeded, in 1872, Henry Barlow as Vicar of Pitsmoor. He continued there to the time of his death, a period of nearly forty years. In 1905, Archbishop Maclagan appointed him to a Canonry at York, an honour which he highly prized. For thirty-six years he was one of the local secretaries of the Bible Society, in the interests of which he laboured most earnestly. Warm-hearted, broad-minded, genial, and sympathetic, he had the confidence of all who knew him. His Church views were decidedly evangelical, and he was a total abstainer and non-smoker. A favourite illustration in his earnest temperance and mission addresses was that his parish began with "The Barrel" (a public-house now pulled down), and ended with the Workhouse, then at the extreme end of his parish, but now in St. Cuthbert's. On the Sunday of his death, in November, 1911, although seventy-three years of age, he was apparently in the best of health, and had arranged to preach twice for the Church Pastoral Aid Society, when God's finger touched him, and before eventide his earthly life ceased, and he had entered upon the higher service.'

Fifty Years of Sheffield Church Life

1866-1916

Rev. W Odom

from this web site : http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancest.../wo/odom06.html

I aslo assume the Jeffcocks at 249 are possibly some relation of Thomas William Jeffcock DL JP who lived at Shire House (Shire Green) and who is remembered by the nurses's home in Ecclesfield. His uncle had been Sheffield's first mayor in 1843. TW died in 1900.

I aslo assume the Jeffcocks at 249 are possibly some relation of Thomas William Jeffcock DL JP who lived at Shire House (Shire Green) and who is remembered by the nurses's home in Ecclesfield. His uncle had been Sheffield's first mayor in 1843. TW died in 1900.

Interesting there is a Maria Jeffcock recorded on the water fountain in Ecclesfileld who appears to have died in 1883 - so I imagine this is her above in 1881.

Following her death Thomas William married a Hannah Maria widow of F. Vickers of Dykes Hall in 1892.

Couldn't find my map of Pitsmoor but have finally worked out what this building was .

Old cobbled lane in front

Across the road from the Tollbar and hiding behind the modern facarde of Unigraph is the former Pitsmoor Church Day School opened in 1836 with money raised by public subcription and a grant from the 1833 School Bill. Classrooms were given by T.W Watson of Shirecliffe Hall. The school pre-dated ChristChurch by 14 years and for this period served as the venue for worship during this time.

The school was temporaily closed because of bombing and was eventually sold for the sum of £3,500. Prior to Unigraph the building was used by Wigfalls as a furniture store.

Nice work matey, - I often wondered what that place was. Here are a couple of maps...but I can't work out which building it is on these.

Nice work matey, - I often wondered what that place was. Here are a couple of maps...but I can't work out which building it is on these.

Thanks Gramps

Yes it is there on both - 'National School' on the older one and 'School' on the latter. lol