'Our Generation' the Punk generation of Sheffield and the region book

Guest rothertone

Guest rothertone

'Our Generation' is the unique and first account of the Punk generation of Sheffield and the local region told by myself (the author) and over 120 different and varied voices of the era. From the pre - Punk days and all the way through the summer of hate of 1977 Punk and beyond, the story takes in the many classic gigs, the clothes worn and searches for Identity, the groups formed and broken up, the fans, the records, the violence and laughs along with many photos, flyers, ticket stubs and memorabilia of the era. The books main focal point is the Punk explosion and its effect on the local youth, but also takes in Mod revivalists, 2-tone fans, New Romantics and passing anecdotes from some of the many well known Punk groups who have played at famous local venues such as Doncaster Outlook, Sheffield Limit club, Rotherham Windmill and Sheffield Top rank etc. Meetings with some of the most noted Punk generation musicians such as Joe Strummer, Paul Weller and Sid Vicious are told by fans in their own words.

The book is about a time of euphoric excitement and life changing experiences when a proportion of our local youth cast caution to the wind and found themselves in the middle of the most explosive, controversial and influential musical revolution since pop music began...this is Sheffield's experience of that time...the story of 'Our Generation'

If interested in pre - ordering the book which will be made available for a ltd first run of a 1000 copies soon please email me at rotherpunk@aol.com

or Beesleytony4@aol.com

If only Lenny Lunch and the Sandwich Wrappers were included <Sigh>, I have some cassette recordings of them somewhere, Saddle West Street, George IV, Infirmary Road, Penthouse (played as main act with Disease) and a Wedding at Chapeltown. All 1980-1981. How do I get wot's left from tape to mp3 ? Aye, there's an old Punk quandry for you ... lol

Guest rothertone

If only Lenny Lunch and the Sandwich Wrappers were included <Sigh>, I have some cassette recordings of them somewhere, Saddle West Street, George IV, Infirmary Road, Penthouse (played as main act with Disease) and a Wedding at Chapeltown. All 1980-1981. How do I get wot's left from tape to mp3 ? Aye, there's an old Punk quandry for you ... lol

How to get your tapes to mp3 ?..well its not so hard nowadays...you can get your tape set up to your pc with one of those vinyl to cd record decks (though make sure first that it does tapes as well)...then you can store it on your pc and burn to cd and I am sure convert to mp3 as well...I have put lots of my old groups live stuff and demos off old tapes onto cd and it works great...

Disease do get a small mention in the book...as do quite a lot of local groups from sheffield, Doncaster, Rotherham and Barnsley such as X-Rippers, Injectors, Stuntkites, Cute Pubes, Pvc, Artery, Debar, The Diks, Vice Squad, 2.3, The Way, Skin-Deep, Reactor, Hobbies of today etc...but the main theme of the story is the generation of people affected by the Punk explosion and its after shocks...including myself...give it a chance I am sure you will enjoy reading it.

Tony

I do owe Disease an apology, I'd had a long working day; helped both Bands lug their gear upstairs, drank like a fish ... then Disease were on, I told 'em I thought they were Sh!*$ and that I was going to sleep/pass out under some coats during their set - could they please wake me up when they were done ? - to their eternal credit one of the band did rouse me and I saw Lenny Lunch once more.

Not really very Punk, huh ?

Guest rothertone

'Take it to the Limit' is an upcoming book by Neil Anderson about (you guessed it) the Limit club on West Street Sheffield. Its due out this October and by the sounds of it sounds very very promising with loads of previously unseen photos of some of the many bands that played there...Can't wait to buy this one...theres also a lot of Limit club memories (including a full chapter of its own and some more other stuff here and there in the book 'Our Generation' I have wrote...there are photos of Wire, Selector, Secret Affair and others playing there and some hilarious stories...you can buy Our Generation from Waterstones, WH Smith, Rare and Racy in Sheffield...Doncaster...HMV (Meadowhall and Sheffield) and online from the official website at www.ourgenerationpunkandmod.co.uk 2 great Xmas presents if you want to re-live those days!