Crookes Tram Terminus

mickjj

Here is a picture of the Crookes Tram terminus dated 1900. Does any recognise the exact location in Crookes?

Guest tsavo

That's the old terminus at the junction of Crookes Rd and School Road. Crookes Endowed School is on the left and the Post Office just to the right of the tram. The terminus was moved to Northfield Rd as the line was extended. Trams to the School Road destination turned round by the tram depot on Pickmere Road.

If those buildings are there now or if I can find it I'll nip up and do a picture of how it looks today..

Guest tsavo

You'll find it looks almost exactly the same. We don't make to many quick changes in Crookes. After all it's only 107 years!

There's some places that just don't change over the years that look identical to how they did years ago

Attercliffe is one that springs to mind - the center of Attercliffe (around the bend where the Carlton is and the Banners building)

As tsavo says its hardly changed apart from the playground wall in the photo has now gone.

Take a look at the photos and spot the changes (if any) apart from the snow.

Just to add to my previous post regarding the school. I've just come across another of my photos and it seems the school dates from 1791. This must make the school one of the oldest in Sheffield, what do you think?

Guest lebourg

That's the old terminus at the junction of Crookes Rd and School Road. Crookes Endowed School is on the left and the Post Office just to the right of the tram. The terminus was moved to Northfield Rd as the line was extended. Trams to the School Road destination turned round by the tram depot on Pickmere Road.

I used to work at Pickmere rd in the early 70's. You could still see the tram tracks in the garage entrance. Also under the concrete floor the service pits for the trams were still there.

I went to the site of Pickmere Road depot recently and noticed something that i thought i had seen before in the City, that is that the line of the old tram tracks is still visible due to the surface breaking up over the still 'in situ' tracks. From the end of Pickmere Road you can make out the tracks turning into the site of the old depot.