Sheffields Flora and Fauna

Guest Trefcon

You haven't accidently moved into an extinct volcano ... ?

I think plate tectonic theory sort of rules out anyone with a Sheffield address living near an extinct volcano.

I think plate tectonic theory sort of rules out anyone with a Sheffield address living near an extinct volcano.

Hang about for a few million years - one's bound turn up. :)

?????????????????????????????????????????????

ryle rd/montgomery rd-nether edge

It's a classic isn't it.

Late 1970's I used to live in the house just visible on the extreme left. No 9. It was knocked through into number 7 to make it one large bedsit complex. I worked for the owners at the time and I was involved in converting them back into 2 houses before being sold.

small world vox! my workmate and i recently finished the roofing work on this house..

which has been built on what was part of the club car park just beside the old garages at the bottom of Ryle rd

and was purchased by the guy who currently lives in the house directly opposite no9.

Cant quite make out what the sign says because of all the invasive weeds that are active in that area!!!.........(River Sheaf @ Charlotte rd)

Cant quite make out what the sign says because of all the invasive weeds that are active in that area!!!.........(River Sheaf @ Charlotte rd)

Is the sign for real or is it a wind up?

What are those plants? Triffids?

Looks like Himalayan Balsam Dave.

It is one of the invasive plants threatening to choke the canals and railways.

Another one is called Japanese Knotweed.

There's quite a lot of info on The Net which is easily Googled.

Looks like Himalayan Balsam Dave.

It is one of the invasive plants threatening to choke the canals and railways.

Another one is called Japanese Knotweed.

There's quite a lot of info on The Net which is easily Googled.

Yes, I am sure I have commented on the Japanese Knotweed in another thread somewhere (I thought it was in this one but I can't find it now) and the Himalayan Balsam was also mentioned at the time, - but its the wording on that sign that gets me, it gives the impression that the plants are really dangerous and are taking over the World, - just like the Triffids!

Yes, I am sure I have commented on the Japanese Knotweed in another thread somewhere (I thought it was in this one but I can't find it now) and the Himalayan Balsam was also mentioned at the time, - but its the wording on that sign that gets me, it gives the impression that the plants are really dangerous and are taking over the World, - just like the Triffids!

Well they're certainly doing their best to hide the sign :o

The sign is 100% genuine,but the thing i cant work out is what is it denying us entry to and why?? There is no entrance / pathway/access point there and all thats behind that sign is a concrete wall, and as virulent as it is, its not some human version of the venus flytrap.

Just very, very odd!

BTW SteveHB made mention of the Himalayan Balsam earlier in this thread with this link:-

Himalayan Balsam

The sign is 100% genuine,but the thing i cant work out is what is it denying us entry to and why?? There is no entrance / pathway/access point there and all thats behind that sign is a concrete wall, and as virulent as it is, its not some human version of the venus flytrap.

Just very, very odd!

BTW SteveHB made mention of the Himalayan Balsam earlier in this thread with this link:-

Himalayan Balsam

I can't read the middle wording but I assume the wording is ACTIVE IN THIS AREA.

I would guess that either they're using chemicals, or more likely, because they don't want people picking the flowers which may lead to the spreading of seeds.

I can't read the middle wording but I assume the wording is ACTIVE IN THIS AREA.

I would guess that either they're using chemicals, or more likely, because they don't want people picking the flowers which may lead to the spreading of seeds.

And I suppose you can inadvertently pick up seeds on your clothes and shoes and spread them that way.

No new quiz, where does the squirrel live?

Take it lives somewhere in S2.

So really the quiz is "where has Stuart0742 been in S2?"

Now how many S2 lads do you know?

Me, - but I have emigrated over the border to S12. :rolleyes:

SteveHB, - but you reckon you haven't seen him in person since we left school, so he's a sort of "cyberspace S2" lad :blink:

No, got me there, S2 is a pretty big place <_<

Take it lives somewhere in S2.

So really the quiz is "where has Stuart0742 been in S2?"

Now how many S2 lads do you know?

Me, - but I have emigrated over the border to S12. :rolleyes:

SteveHB, - but you reckon you haven't seen him in person since we left school, so he's a sort of "cyberspace S2" lad :blink:

No, got me there, S2 is a pretty big place <_<

The squirrel is the S2 lad, he lives in a tree, near a lot of grass, not far from excellent transport links

The squirrel is the S2 lad, he lives in a tree, near a lot of grass, not far from excellent transport links

Narrows it down a bit then,

Especially as we have always moaned that there are far too many trees in Sheffield, - they get everywhere these days, - can't take a photo without getting one in the shot and all that.

Near excellent transport links <_<

Is it on Park Hill above the tram stop and railway station?

Having made this comment previously about fungi appearing early this year (August) and that none was apparent around our garden in the usual season (September / October) over the rather wet weekend we have just had (its now late october) these fungi have just "appeared" in one of our garden planters.

Not seen these in previous years, they are only in 1 of 5 planters, don't know what they are or if they are edible but I know a man who does

(Over to you SteveHB, our resident fungi (fun guy lol ) expert)

Would you believe it?

It's the week before Christmas,

We have just had a bit of snow and the daytime temperature is barely above freezing, night time is down to -3.

Had another look in those frost covered garden planters and those fungi from September are not only still there, - there are more of them!

A fungi that thrives in cold and frost!

Would you believe it?

It's the week before Christmas,

We have just had a bit of snow and the daytime temperature is barely above freezing, night time is down to -3.

Had another look in those frost covered garden planters and those fungi from September are not only still there, - there are more of them!

A fungi that thrives in cold and frost!

That's amazing! With such a high water content you'd have thought they'd be destroyed. Natural anti-freeze do you think? :huh:

That's amazing! With such a high water content you'd have thought they'd be destroyed. Natural anti-freeze do you think? :huh:

Don't know Bayleaf, never come across it before as in a normal year most fungi are long gone by this time of year anyway.

Natural antifreezes are common in insects and are usually based, like their motor vehicle synthetic counterparts on a range of alcohols and diols.

I suppose compounds of this type could be present in some fungi.