Pulp

Sheffield History

PULP

Pulp were formed in 1978 as 'Arabacus Pulp' and has had many different line-ups.

Best known for the number one album 'Different Class' (1995) it took 17 years before Pulp made a sensible impact in the charts.

Little known fact - Pulp submitted a song and were nearly selected for the theme tune to Bond film 'Tomorrow Never Dies'. The honour of recording the official tune went to Sheryl Crow, but you can listen to Pulp's song on the recently released second disc to the 'This Is Hardcore' Deluxe Version album.

PULP Discography

Chart Singles (top 70):

Lip Gloss - reached Number 50 in the charts, remaining in the top 70 for 2 weeks

Do you remember the first time - reached Number 33 in the charts, remaining in the top 70 for 5 weeks

The Sisters (EP) - reached Number 19 in the charts, remaining in the top 70 for 4 weeks

Common People - reached Number 2 in the charts, remaining in the top 70 for 13 weeks

Mis-Shapes/Sorted For E's and Wizz - reached Number 2 in the charts, remaining in the top 70 for 11 weeks

Disco 2000 - reached Number 7 in the charts, remaining in the top 70 for 11 weeks

Something Changed - reached Number 10 in the charts, remaining in the top 70 for 7 weeks

Help The Aged - reached Number 8 in the charts, remaining in the top 70 for 9 weeks

This Is Hardcore - reached Number 12 in the charts, remaining in the top 70 for 4 weeks

A Little Soul - reached Number 33 in the charts, remaining in the top 70 for 2 weeks

Party Hard - reached Number 29 in the charts, remaining in the top 70 for 2 weeks

Sunrise/The Trees - reached Number 23 in the charts, remaining in the top 70 for 2 weeks

Bad Cover Version - reached Number 27 in the charts, remaining in the top 70 for 2 weeks

Chart Albums:

His and Hers - reached number 9 in the charts, remaining on the chart for 43 weeks

Different Class - reached number 1 in the charts, remaining on the chart for 64 weeks

Countdown 1992-1983 - reached number 10 in the charts, remaining on the chart for 6 weeks

This Is Hardcore - reached number 1 in the charts, remaining on the chart for 21 weeks

We Love Life - reached number 6 in the charts, remaining on the chart for 3 weeks

Hits - reached number 71 in the charts, remaining on the chart for 1 week

Pulp have recently re-released their three best-known albums (His and Hers, Different Class and This Is Hardcore) in special 'Deluxe' format - featuring an extra bonus disc of other rare and previously unheard of material and is well worth a buy. You can also buy a DVD version of the 'Hits' album which features videos from Pulp, plus live footage and rare documentaries (including an 80's documentary on the Sheffield Music scene of the time).

PICTURES

LINKS

Official Pulp Website - http://www.pulponline.com

Jarvis Cocker Myspace - http://myspace.com/jarvspace

Acrylic Afternoons, Ultimate Pulp Site - http://www.acrylicafternoons.com/pulp.html

'Bring Back Pulp' Messageboard - http://www.bringbackpulp.com/forum/

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Anyone remotely interested in the Sheffield music scene of the 70's and 80's should buy 'Made In Sheffield' which we can recommend as being a fascinating and brilliant watch, and tells the story of Pulp, Heaven 17 and others..

Has anyone ever written as many lyrics and songs about Sheffield?

Here's one example from the recently repackaged and re-released 'Different Class' album (deluxe edition with an extra disc of bonus songs, like this one):

Straight down the Parkway follow your nose

to a place where nobody wants to go.

It's a fare and a half, they're having a larf.

Everybody's broken or they're a dwarf.

Pierrot mirror on the wall who is the ace-est of them all?

The Catcliffe girl who gets out before her 18th birthday.

There's little old man by the side of the road.

Just where he came from nobody knows.

He's so picturesque, a physical wreck, a dirty old bloke with no self-respect. Oh!

Oh God you'd better leave town before you get caught in the Catcliffe Shakedown yeah.

It's a step to the left, a step to the right. You do the Catcliffe Shakedown with all of your might. Oh baby.

Shhh... Shhh-Shakedown. Shhh-Shakedown.

Pudgy 12 year-olds in Union Jack shorts

addicted to coffee-whitener and frankfurters.

And those boys who said,

"Mister we just want your car cos we're taking a girl to the reservoir"

are outside the pub.

Fine figures of men,

exercising and dieting just doesn't suit them.

"Have a meal in a glass,

we're having a laugh,

just come over here and your face we will smash." Oh!

Oh God you'd better leave town, before you get caught in the Catcliffe Shakedown yeah.

Shakedown. Shakedown. Shakedown.

Oh! Oh no it's not that bad really, not if you've been living in Bosnia for the last year. Home-brew is still big news around these parts - no airing cupboard should be without it. They were going to build an airport - can you imagine it? "Whilst you're in the area why not stock up on string or try some of our duty-free, Parkin?" Oh yeah, let's go.

See the rainbow high above the viaduct

glowing with all the colours of a bottle of spilt milk.

Oh it's so beautiful but I don't know what it means.

Oh, rainbow high above - what exactly are you advertising?

And our idea of sophisticated humour is setting fire to our farts with disposable lighters.

Why not try our delicious lager-style drink with a chocolate-flavoured candy-covered biscuit? "Look at those buttercups over there Mummy!" "Hold one under your chin", "What's butter mummy?", "Oh, it's just a different make of margarine".

See the rainbow high above the viaduct

glowing with all the colours of a bottle of spilt milk.

Oh it's so beautiful but I don't know what it means.

Oh, rainbow high above - what exactly are you advertising?

The film now cuts to reveal who is watching this docu-drama. A middle-class couple sit in wonder as the titles roll. All the nicotine-stains and beer-bellies in this programme were real. But upstairs in his room, amongst the Airfix planes, is a small boy. He sits in the dark, listening for the sound of the train that crosses the viaduct at 4 o'clock every morning. The train that carries the dismembered remains, the dismembered remains of matchstalk men and matchstalk cats and dogs, and it's coming, and it's coming. Oh yeah!

"What you looking at?" "I don't know - label fell off." "I'm goin' aht!" "Am I so beautiful you can't stop looking at me? Am I so beautiful?" "You don't scare me." "I'll take you all on." "You and whose army?" "Me - me and my fist-y."

Catcliffe you don't intimidate me, your Parkway and your shopping centre, your Panda Pops, your pottery, your motorway junction, your overwhelming stench of failure. Lives that never left first base, stunted by vapours from the cooling towers and I will do everything, everything in my power to get away from you. Oh yeah.

I know what you mean but ilove this one fromthe Arctic Monkeys, it just reminds me of so many saturday nights in my youth.

RED LIGHT INDICATES DOORS ARE SECURE

Ask if we can have six in, if not we'll have to have 2

You're coming up our end aren't you? So I'll get one with you

Oh won't he let us have six in? especially not with the food

He coulda just told us no though, he dint have to be rude

See her in the green dress? She talked to me at the bar

How come its already two pound fifty? We've only gone about a yard

Dint ya see she were gorgeous, she was beyond belief

But this lad at the side drinking a Smirnoff ice came and paid for her tropical Reef

And I'm sitting going backwards, and I didn't want to leave

Its high green mate, via hillsborough please

How funny was that sketch earlier, up near that taxi rank

Oh no you will have missed it, think it was when you went to the bank

These two lads squaring up proper shouting, bout who was next in the queue The kind of thing that would seem so silly but not when they've both had a few

Calm down temper temper, you shouldn_t get so annoyed

You_re acting like a silly little boy

They wanted to be men and do some fighting in the street

No surrender, no chance of retreat

Drunken plots hatched to jump it, ask around are ya sure?

Went for it but the red light was showing

And the red light indicates doors are secured

I seem to remember he went to Intake school as he used to live down the road from me at Intake, he then went from there to City school.

I wish I'd paid more attention to the support act when I went to see The Naughtiest Girl Was A Monitor at the Rotherham Arts Centre back in July 80 .. for it was Pulp, at their debut public gig

Pulp to reform for summer Festivals in 2011!

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/do-you-remember-the-last-time-pulp-reform-for-summer-shows-2128780.html

I wish I'd paid more attention to the support act when I went to see The Naughtiest Girl Was A Monitor at the Rotherham Arts Centre back in July 80 .. for it was Pulp, at their debut public gig

From Radio 4

Jarvis Cocker & Richard Hawley go in search of whales off the Irish coast???

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00xnynk/In_Search_of_the_Holy_Whale/