Pickfords

Guest Trefcon

Hi I have found a few more photo's these are all of sheffield based vehclies from the 50s to the 80s

Sammyopisite

I have removed the colour cast from your 3 colour photo's and had a general fiddle with them, hope you don't mind

Stuart

Guest sammyopisite

Hi Stuart, you have done a really good job and thank you,I hope that I am able to do something like that one day. Johnnie

lollollol

Hi Dean.

Aye,ask any oldish Sheffield driver about Ripley/Lil/Pig or Transistor Lil as she was later known and they'll tell you a tale or two.She used to frequent a pub called The Prince Of Wales on Butterley Hill going up into Ripley and drank bottles of Guinness.You could end up having an empty bottle through yer windscreen if you gave her any slaver he he .She knew how many wagons had gone to Brum each day,who they were and how many tons they'd carried,she wasn't too keen on Sheffield BRS drivers for some reason.

I know the lay-by you mean over the river,between Derby and Burton and I can still remember all the cafes - Atkins at Findern,the Airport :angry: (scruffy hole),the Y-pass,the Oakamoor at Barton and the Tree at Alrewas,all frequented by dee-dahs.The Oakamoor is still open apparantly.Before the Derby ring road was completed there was a cafe called the Olympia on the old A61 running into Derby and it was open day and night,once again full of steel hauliers.

Good days they were. lol

Chris.

Hi Chris. Do you remember `Tower Hill Transport`. Vauxhall Motors used them for delivering spare parts etc in the early 60s, I think they ran a fleet of `S type` Bedford artics. Regards, W/E.

Guest mandator

Hi Chris. Do you remember `Tower Hill Transport`. Vauxhall Motors used them for delivering spare parts etc in the early 60s, I think they ran a fleet of `S type` Bedford artics. Regards, W/E.

Hi WE,yes I do remember Tower Hill Transport.They were based in Boston Lincs and ran a lot of Bedfords in the 50s, "S" types and then the TK.They did a lot of market work as well and could be seen regular in Parkway market and then on to Manchester/Liverpool over Woodhead.There has been an article posted about them on a transport forum somewhere.They got in big trouble with the Ministry over driver's hours offences and vehicle maintenance and were closed down.They ran in a green livery with a picture of Tower Bridge on the doors.I was in the RAF in the 60s in Norfolk and had many a lift with Tower Hill at night when I was thumbing it home to Sheffield. lol

Guest sammyopisite

One for `sammyopisite. Do you ever remember seeing this in Sheffield ? W/E

Hi WE no I did not see that Loco though I did move a couple of steam cranes Walt Hesslewood on Stevenson road used have on but if you got a dead one and had to winch them on that was serious hard graft and it would take several hours to load but they would pull them off the trailer at B Rs workshops. When loading a non runner you had to make sure that the ramp you built was not to steep as it was you turning the handle on the winch and with 30-40 tons on you tried to make it as easy as possible.

Guest mandator

This is nowt to do with Pickfords but does anybody remember this company,A.E.Evans,Regent Transport who had a yard on Queens Road and then on Cricket Inn Road.I drove for them from 1970 until 1979 .This is one of the newer AECs they ran. :rolleyes:

This is nowt to do with Pickfords but does anybody remember this company,A.E.Evans,Regent Transport who had a yard on Queens Road and then on Cricket Inn Road.I drove for them from 1970 until 1979 .This is one of the newer AECs they ran. :rolleyes:

Evening all, my first post! I remember Regent transport on Cricket Inn Rd. If memories serves, it shared a drive way with the then East Midland Gas Co who had a warehouse there. This was taken over by TC.Harrison as a body repair shop.

Going back to Pickfords on Brightside Lane, agood friend of mine,now passed on, was the service manager there in the 1950's and 60's His namw was Harold Hardwick. Anyone remember Harold. Cheers Tony

Guest sammyopisite

Evening all, my first post! I remember Regent transport on Cricket Inn Rd. If memories serves, it shared a drive way with the then East Midland Gas Co who had a warehouse there. This was taken over by TC.Harrison as a body repair shop.

Going back to Pickfords on Brightside Lane, agood friend of mine,now passed on, was the service manager there in the 1950's and 60's His namw was Harold Hardwick. Anyone remember Harold. Cheers Tony

Hi Tony I remember Harold but when I was there in the 60s he was the regional engineer based in Leeds (I think) Harry Wood was the chief engineer in Sheffield but Harold used to pop in regularly as he covered the northern area. welcome to the forum

Hi Tony I remember Harold but when I was there in the 60s he was the regional engineer based in Leeds (I think) Harry Wood was the chief engineer in Sheffield but Harold used to pop in regularly as he covered the northern area. welcome to the forum

Good to hear from you Sammy. I'd forgotten that Harold got promoted. He came from Leeds in the first place. He was a very good engineer and we shared a common interest in racing cars and bikes. We built a sports racing car in his garage at home that is until the Sheffield gale picked it up and deposited it never to be found again.(the garage that is!) I remember Lou from Brightside Lane who was interested in what we were doing.

I've been racking my brain for ages. Do you remember the manufacturers name of the steerable trailers used by Pickfords based I think in Dereham Norfolk?

I know Harold used to go there quite often in his green Triumph Herald.

Cheers

Tony

Guest sammyopisite

Hi Tony the trailer manufactuer was "Crane" and all most of "Pickfords" trailers were from there untill the late 60s when other makes were introduced into the fleet they later went onto continental makes from France,Germany,Holland and Belgium but that was when I had left "King trailers" of Market harbor'o were another make as I had one behinnd my "Atkinson" as well as a "Dyson" semi-low loader but when i started there I am sure they 100% crane even the solid tyred bogies which could carry around 130 tons were crane. Crane became "Crane Frauhouff" and later disappeared into something else.

Hi Tony the trailer manufactuer was "Crane" and all most of "Pickfords" trailers were from there untill the late 60s when other makes were introduced into the fleet they later went onto continental makes from France,Germany,Holland and Belgium but that was when I had left "King trailers" of Market harbor'o were another make as I had one behinnd my "Atkinson" as well as a "Dyson" semi-low loader but when i started there I am sure they 100% crane even the solid tyred bogies which could carry around 130 tons were crane. Crane became "Crane Frauhouff" and later disappeared into something else.

Thanks for the information about the trailers. I did a bit of searching on the internet and saw Crane Frauhouff and did wonder if it might be the same company. Does seem a pity that all the technical knowhow on most things mechanical seems to have been swallowed up I do wonder when the old hands have gone what will happen.

Guest sammyopisite

these are both of the "Scammell 100 ton vehicles the top one was "Leaping Lena" based in Sheffield until 1957 and the regular driver was Cliff Lowther

The Scammell Samson based at Sheffield EYF886J regular Driver was Eric Humberstone who had it new in 1971

The Atkinson Viewline was based at Sheffield EMD518J and I was the regular driver and when I left my dad was the regular driver

Guest sammyopisite

All these pictures are of Eric Morton who was a long serving driver at "Pickfords" Brightside Lane Sheffield and are from old magazine cuttings and most likely Bob Tuck pictures

Eric was very well known in the transport industry from the 1940s until the late 70s early 80s

I have put this link in where a lot of pictures of old Lorry s can be found as it may be of interest to some people http://johnslorryphotos.fotopic.net/

Guest sammyopisite

Falls I have found the photo you were asking about in one of Bob Tucks books the quality is not very good and it was on two pages but I think you will be able to make it out and I have also put a couple of old "Pickfords steamers on as well I will copy the text accompanying the photo at Borough bridge ( Boroughbridge 1945 The devastation caused to the bridge ,trailer and a Diamond"T" is plain to see ,whilst the no road sign seems to say it all ) the driver was Wally Scott

Been Googling, a Manchester firm!

Always thought it was Sheffield!

Insolvent Debtors, Petitions to be heard

Court, Portugal Street, Lincoln Inn Fields, Middlesex

Thursday May 5th 1831 at 9am

Ralph Pickford, late of Orchard Street, Sheffield and at the same time Portland Place, Manchester; carrying on business at both places as a common carrier between Sheffield and Manchester.

So there :P

Guest sammyopisite

I have a book on "Pickfords" and it says they were started in 1646 by Thomas Pickford of Adlington Cheshire I will see if it will scan so I post the full two pages of their history. I have found another picture of a Sheffield based vehicle JLF621D fleet number M4401 which was based at Brightside Lane

this picture is out of one of Bob Tucks books

When i got my Driving Licence and then picked my Father up from British Steel Corporation on Brightside Lane i used to see the Pickfords Heavy Haulage Wagons all the time, As they were based on Brightside lane, so as soon as i was old enough i took my HGV test with the sole intention of Driving for them.But unless you were Family and someone died you did not have a hope of being employed by them. So i ended up Driving for Sid Harrison who had similar but OLDER Wagons. For those who can remember the Pickfords Trucks there are Die-cast Models on this site.

http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/582_1_1769464.html

you one of sids ex's. peter is still there , we got 4 of his trucks in our museum sytm

I have a book on "Pickfords" and it says they were started in 1646 by Thomas Pickford of Adlington Cheshire I will see if it will scan so I post the full two pages of their history. I have found another picture of a Sheffield based vehicle JLF621D fleet number M4401 which was based at Brightside Lane

driving with the tilt frame as we called it into London, a london bus decided to try and see how strong the tilt frame was ,he lost , lol, and nicked for ignoring the cops,

I don't suppose this has anything to do with the same company,

or has it ?

Pickfords Ltd. carriers, 40 Saville Street.

Pickfords Ltd. furniture removers, 6 Waingate.

My Father was a driver for Pickfords in 60's and 70's in Birmingham and Bury his name was Brian Hollis, hope someone on here remembers him

Guest sammyopisite

My Father was a driver for Pickfords in 60's and 70's in Birmingham and Bury his name was Brian Hollis, hope someone on here remembers him

Hi Liiy and welcome was your dad on the removals side as I was on the heavy haulage in the 60s and 70s at Sheffield and I cannot recall his name but we are going back over 40 years.

Good to hear from you Sammy. I'd forgotten that Harold got promoted. He came from Leeds in the first place. He was a very good engineer and we shared a common interest in racing cars and bikes. We built a sports racing car in his garage at home that is until the Sheffield gale picked it up and deposited it never to be found again.(the garage that is!) I remember Lou from Brightside Lane who was interested in what we were doing.

I've been racking my brain for ages. Do you remember the manufacturers name of the steerable trailers used by Pickfords based I think in Dereham Norfolk?

I know Harold used to go there quite often in his green Triumph Herald.

Cheers

Tony

Hello Tony

My name is Janet. I am Harold Hardwick's daughter. I was only a little girl when you and Dad were friends but I remember you well and other guys involved in the 750 Motor Club. Dad moved to Pickfords at Elland Road in Leeds in 1966.He stopped racing before he moved to Leeds but he built me a go kart. He died in 1971 while we were on holiday in Italy. Before he died he built me a mini from scapped ones. He was getting it ready for my 17th birthday but he died a few month's before and a friend finished the car for me.

I think my Dad's happiest times were at Brightside Lane. I remember going there with him in my school holidays. In his spare time he worked there on a racing car he built and on the Rochdale. Someone mentioned the green Triumph Herald he had. I remember that well - it seemed so posh and spacious at the time!

It's lovely to know that someone still remembers my Dad.

Guest sammyopisite

Hello Tony

My name is Janet. I am Harold Hardwick's daughter. I was only a little girl when you and Dad were friends but I remember you well and other guys involved in the 750 Motor Club. Dad moved to Pickfords at Elland Road in Leeds in 1966.He stopped racing before he moved to Leeds but he built me a go kart. He died in 1971 while we were on holiday in Italy. Before he died he built me a mini from scapped ones. He was getting it ready for my 17th birthday but he died a few month's before and a friend finished the car for me.

I think my Dad's happiest times were at Brightside Lane. I remember going there with him in my school holidays. In his spare time he worked there on a racing car he built and on the Rochdale. Someone mentioned the green Triumph Herald he had. I remember that well - it seemed so posh and spacious at the time!

It's lovely to know that someone still remembers my Dad.

I have a couple of photo's of the drivers Christmas dinner from the early 60s I will see if I am able to find them and post them. These were before they changed it so that wives and girlfriends were invited which was before I started there as they were invited then.

The book "Diamond T" by Les Freathy & Robin Pearson is worth looking at. Just waiting for permission from the publisher [ Roundoak ] to post some very good shots of Pickfords "T" prime movers here in Sheffield. W/E.