Pickfords

Guest Trefcon

The book "Diamond T" by Les Freathy & Robin Pearson is worth looking at. Just waiting for permission from the publisher [ Roundoak ] to post some very good shots of Pickfords "T" prime movers here in Sheffield. W/E.

The front cover, 1954 and what a sight ! Five "T" prime movers with two hundred and fifty tons plus, climbing Herries Road en route to Liverpool docks. W/E.

Guest sammyopisite

I have a couple of photo's of the drivers Christmas dinner from the early 60s I will see if I am able to find them and post them. These were before they changed it so that wives and girlfriends were invited which was before I started there as they were invited then.

these were taken at Pickfords drivers Christmas dinner in the late 50s or early 60s each photo is a different year

Guest sammyopisite

This is another Sheffield based wagon and I am sure the load is out of Robert Jenkins Wortley Road Rotherham

The name doesn't ring a bell but I must have known him by sight. As you know, D-U had a complete/ transport/shipping office. This was at Park Iron works when i first started and I knew everybody there. That would be up to, say, 1957. Then I went int the Eng. office and lost touch with many people.

Regards

This photo shows uncle Hiram at his retirement do, mid 1960s I think. W/E

I like people's first posts, especially when they have turned out to be such an asset to the site and someone I've met.

My first time here guys so go gently with me!

Was Pickfords a Sheffield firm through and through?

Absolutley love all the old and modern photo's of Waggons, Steam Rollers, Buse's etc. When i was a kid my dad drove a lorry for Harry Atkinson & Son of Brightside lane. Allways went with him in the school holidays! It was always Birmingham! But occasionally we went to Chichester and even Fort William in Scotland, sleeping in the cab! Fantastic!

Anyway back to my post, i use to love looking at pictures of heavy lift lorries, i still do. Just wondered if we could get some Pickford stuff on here?

Dean.

Guest sammyopisite

I have found a few more pictures the Scammell samson is taken in Brightside Lane depot probably in the late 70s and a few of the old 100 tonner which was Sheffield based

Guest sammyopisite

Another picture of the 100 tonner and steam engine

This is a Diamond "T" which went out of service in the late 50s early 60s

Insolvent Debtors, Petitions to be heard

Court, Portugal Street, Lincoln Inn Fields, Middlesex

Thursday May 5th 1831 at 9am

Ralph Pickford, late of Orchard Street, Sheffield and at the same time Portland Place, Manchester; carrying on business at both places as a common carrier between Sheffield and Manchester.

So there :P

I found this yesterday while looking for something else sadly i did not get the paper or the date and the site is down today for some reason.

Found the sourse.

The Sheffield Independent, and Yorkshire and Derbyshire Advertiser (Sheffield, England), Saturday, December 16, 1826;

Guest sammyopisite

This looks as if it is going over Lady's Bridge and the load a casting as been made by English Steel Corporation Sheffield

I also have a the complete model of this load and trailer with 2 Diamond "T"s tractors

This looks as if it is going over Lady's Bridge and the load a casting as been made by English Steel Corporation Sheffield

I also have a the complete model of this load and trailer with 2 Diamond "T"s tractors

Not worked out what bridge it is in the photograph, but I'm pretty sure it is not Lady's Bridge.

Guest sammyopisite

Not worked out what bridge it is in the photograph, but I'm pretty sure it is not Lady's Bridge.

Steve you are correct it cannot be Lady's Bridge as there is no tram lines, but I do recall now that we had to go on Blonk Street with some loads and back on Castle gate to come onto lady's Bridge and onto West Bar so I think it could be the bridge on Blonk Street.

Steve you are correct it cannot be Lady's Bridge as there is no tram lines, but I do recall now that we had to go on Blonk Street with some loads and back on Castle gate to come onto lady's Bridge and onto West Bar so I think it could be the bridge on Blonk Street.

It was a while ago when I studied your photograph,

and my second thoughts were the Blonk Street bridge, but had my doubts.

Didn't both bridges have gaps in the cast panels, rather than the solid flat panels seen in the photograph ?

Also to me, the buildings do not seem to match up with Blonk Street,

but I could be wrong.

It was a while ago when I studied your photograph,

and my second thoughts were the Blonk Street bridge, but had my doubts.

Didn't both bridges have gaps in the cast panels, rather than the solid flat panels seen in the photograph ?

Also to me, the buildings do not seem to match up with Blonk Street,

but I could be wrong.

Blonk Street bridge certainly had (and still has) gaps in the cast panels, as can be seen in this shot. Blonk Street had electric tramways from 1900 to 1960 and a horse tram line (largely unused) before that, so I doubt the picture is Blonk Street. The buildings behind don't look right, either.

Is there any possibility that the photograph was not taken in Sheffield ?

Guest sammyopisite

Is there any possibility that the photograph was not taken in Sheffield ?

Steve I have an inkling you could be right and the photo is not in Sheffield as I knew most of the heavy routes and I have an idea it is taken in Manchester just entering Salford on the A57 before Colgate Palmolive factory and I can't think of the road name at the moment but it will come when I have posted.

Guest sammyopisite

135.jpg

134.jpg

Falls I have found the photo you were asking about in one of Bob Tucks books the quality is not very good and it was on two pages but I think you will be able to make it out and I have also put a couple of old "Pickfords steamers on as well I will copy the text accompanying the photo at Borough bridge ( Boroughbridge 1945 The devastation caused to the bridge ,trailer and a Diamond"T" is plain to see ,whilst the no road sign seems to say it all ) the driver was Wally Scott

I have found another couple of photos and they are better quality

bt327HR-1.jpg

photo4.jpg

I have found another couple of photos and they are better quality

bt327HR-1.jpg

photo4.jpg

The load, an 80-ton Roll housing by Davey and Union of Sheffield, the outcome, the bridge was rebuilt and the trailer was transported in a number of loads to Dereham where it was inspected and was found to have sustained little in the way of real damage. It was repaired, re-assembled and put back into service. As for the load this had sustained no damage and eventually delivered to its Scottish customer. The Diamond T tractor FYN 741 was seen in 1948 working through Lincoln. W/E. Courtesy Diamond T. Les Freathy & Robin Pearson.

Guest sammyopisite

Eric Morton in a Scammell Constructor looks as if it is taken in English Steel Corporation