Adelphi

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

Guest transit

An illustration of the Adelphi that might be of interest.

.......another from mid 60's ....Adelphi on the right ,all houses on the left demolished early 80's .............

.......another from mid 60's ....Adelphi on the right ,all houses on the left demolished early 80's .............

Remember Burton's (white fronted) building on the end of the road, corner of Attercliffe Rd? Was there a dance hall, or a snooker hall on the upper floor?

Guest transit

Remember Burton's (white fronted) building on the end of the road, corner of Attercliffe Rd? Was there a dance hall, or a snooker hall on the upper floor?

.......yes ,and still standing (Melbros Bodicar past 30 years) although currently up for sale ,with only morning openings. It still carries the original "Burtons" sign , and the original parquet flooring. Apart from the racking inside, it is like going in a time warp ,with original paint ,doors and staircase ect - but for how much longer ? :o

.......yes ,and still standing (Melbros Bodicar past 30 years) although currently up for sale ,with only morning openings. It still carries the original "Burtons" sign , and the original parquet flooring. Apart from the racking inside, it is like going in a time warp ,with original paint ,doors and staircase ect - but for how much longer ? :o

Do you remember that the school clinic was on the same street as the Adelphi --right at the end? One day a pal of mine went to the clinic from school, and ended up at a matinee at the Adelphi --and when he came out it was too late to got back to school (obviously!). The teacher never believed that it had taken him so long to have attention for a minor scratch!

Do you remember that the school clinic was on the same street as the Adelphi --right at the end? One day a pal of mine went to the clinic from school, and ended up at a matinee at the Adelphi --and when he came out it was too late to got back to school (obviously!). The teacher never believed that it had taken him so long to have attention for a minor scratch!

Photos taken last week.

The first talkie at the Adelphi was Colleen Moore in 'Smiling Irish Eyes' shown on 24th March 1930. The last films shown were Robert Vaughan in 'The Karate Killers' & Glen Ford in 'The Rounders' on 28th October 1967. (Source: Richard Ward's 'In Memory Of Sheffield's Cinemas)

Photo of the former Adelphi taken in 2006.

The first talkie at the Adelphi was Colleen Moore in 'Smiling Irish Eyes' shown on 24th March 1930. The last films shown were Robert Vaughan in 'The Karate Killers' & Glen Ford in 'The Rounders' on 28th October 1967. (Source: Richard Ward's 'In Memory Of Sheffield's Cinemas)

Photo of the former Adelphi taken in 2006.

This building is starting to look a bit desperate now, Does anyone know if there is any hope for it ?

This building is starting to look a bit desperate now, Does anyone know if there is any hope for it ?

Photo taken 30/01/10, just over a year after POPPYCHRISTINA's and the same fence in front.

As SYRUP says not getting any better

Guest gill smith

Photo taken 30/01/10, just over a year after POPPYCHRISTINA's and the same fence in front.

As SYRUP says not getting any better

Does anyone remember Del Donaco Bingo Hall above the cinema (I think it was above) and later was for roller skating

An illustration of the Adelphi that might be of interest.

Great picture of the Adelphi.

My dad was a regular at The Adelphi during the war years. He remembers that the showings were always like a theatre with 2 matinees during the week and 2 evening showings everyday unlike the continuous showing at other cinemas and a childrens matinees on a Saturday.

He and his friends had 6 seats booked on Q row for every Monday and Saturday night as more often than not the films ran for 3 nights Mon, Tues. Wed. then a new picture Thurs, Fri, Sat - no show on a Sunday. Occasionally a good film, now known as a blockbuster, would run for longer; if this was the case they just put up with seeing it twice.

The cost of the film was 4d or 6d upstairs. The cinemas in town were dearer.

Called up in February 1944 he did not return to Attercliffe until his first leave from the army a week before V.E day in 1945. He returned from Germany, said hello to his Mum and Dad, dropped off his kit bag then caught the tram the three stops to the Adelphi where he knew his friends would be. The smartly dressed commisioner, in blue with plenty of gold braid, standing outside immediately recognised him even in army uniform. He showed him in telling him the lads were all there. He crouched in the aisle next to his friends and caused quite a commotion once he was spotted - he has no memory of the film showing but great memories of the reunion to this day.

Guest transit

Does anyone know if the Adelphi [ ex cinema ] is still a nightclub?

...been closed since late 2006 .....

The Adelphi Picture Theatre, in Vicarage Road, Sheffield was designed by the architect W. C. Fenton and opened for business on the 18th of October 1920.

The exterior was built from red brick with terra-cotta enhancements to the main facade. The auditorium was built on two levels, stalls and one circle, with a seating capacity of 1,350, and a projection room at the back of the stalls.

Right - The former Adelphi Picture Theatre, South Shields in a photograph taken in October 2009 - Courtesy Rob Cordon

The Theatre was the subject of some restoration and redecoration in the late 1930s but after bomb damage during the second world war, and a brief closure of one month, the building was furthur renovated in 1946.

The last film presentation at the Adelphi, which had always been an independent Cinema, was a showing of 'The Karate Killers' and 'The Rounders' on the 28th of October 1976.

The Adelphi then became a Bingo Club for many years until it closed in the mid 1990s. It was then converted into a nightclub where live bands also performed on occasions, but closed down in late 2006.

The Adelphi is a Grade II Listed building.

...been closed since late 2006 .....

The Adelphi Picture Theatre, in Vicarage Road, Sheffield was designed by the architect W. C. Fenton and opened for business on the 18th of October 1920.

The exterior was built from red brick with terra-cotta enhancements to the main facade. The auditorium was built on two levels, stalls and one circle, with a seating capacity of 1,350, and a projection room at the back of the stalls.

Right - The former Adelphi Picture Theatre, South Shields in a photograph taken in October 2009 - Courtesy Rob Cordon

The Theatre was the subject of some restoration and redecoration in the late 1930s but after bomb damage during the second world war, and a brief closure of one month, the building was furthur renovated in 1946.

The last film presentation at the Adelphi, which had always been an independent Cinema, was a showing of 'The Karate Killers' and 'The Rounders' on the 28th of October 1976.

The Adelphi then became a Bingo Club for many years until it closed in the mid 1990s. It was then converted into a nightclub where live bands also performed on occasions, but closed down in late 2006.

The Adelphi is a Grade II Listed building.

See today's Star, The Adelphi is now up for sale £220.000 as part of a regeneration scheme for the area

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/39Grand-Old-Lady39--the.6672419.jp

Guest Rustysphotography

Awesome old shot of this place :D love seeing these places how they would have look all those years ago .

Guest Rustysphotography

I was just came along to post a couple of pics, but see Rusty's beat me to it and to be honest mine can't compete (brilliant work as always Rusty), but for what it's worth, here's a link to my pics and a few words

http://underbelly.po...liffe-sheffield

lol dude your following me :D i went here the same day as the court :D

Great pics again mate really cool place as well . Shame the main seats have gone but syill the entrance is something else :D

Cheers for the compliments :D

Guest beatlejuice

When I was a kid living on Brightside Lane in the 50's my Mum & Dad would take me to the Adelphi, usually for the first house on Saturday nights. It was funny to see people rushing to leave the building at the end of the film to avoid standing to attention for the national anthem. I remember when leaving the Adelphi there would be a newspaper seller outside shouting "Star and Green un." My Dad would always buy one to see how Wednesday had gone on if they had played away from home.

When I got a bit older I would wait outside with my friends to ask complete strangers if they would take us in to see a certificate "A" Film. Kids could only get in to these films if accompanied by an adult.(no fear of peadophiles in those days) The school clinic was at the side of the Adelphi. Most kids would dread going there usually to have bad teeth pulled. They put you to sleep using gas and it was awfull.

My father was the Manger there for a good number of years, later 50,s up to its close as a Cinema, he also opened it as a Bingo hall before moving to become an area Manager with Corrigan Ford Enterprises who had taken over the Cinema. Does anyone remember him - Trevor Pengelly.

Would love to know

On 15/11/2011 at 23:01, Guest Rustysphotography said:

6312329684_ee21ce05a5_z.jpg

Could the owner of this image drop me a PM? I'd like to buy it....