Cannon Hall (& Cottages)

dunsbyowl1867

The picture Sheffield one is clearer and it looks as though it has pot insulators at the top, which would indicate electricity, but the date is much too early for that I think.

That's more info than Picture Sheffield have on it http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s06133

But what is that pole on the causey edge ?? Did we have telegraph poles in 1878 ??

Picturesheffield y02149 is easy to date. W/E.

The picture Sheffield one is clearer and it looks as though it has pot insulators at the top, which would indicate electricity, but the date is much too early for that I think.

Pot insulators for telephones lines were still in use as late as 2003.

http://teleramics.com/inuse/inuse2003.html

If that is a telegraph pole in the photo I doubt the date would be much earlier than 1890, which would make old Levi about 60 years old :)

If that is a telegraph pole in the photo I doubt the date would be much earlier than 1890, which would make old Levi about 60 years old :)

Hey Gramps I've got one of those outside my bedroom window, I'll have

a better look at it in the morning. I know I usually close the bedroom curtains

when the BT man is up the telly wag pole. :o lol

Is it my eyes or is there some one up the pole on a ladder ?.

Yes you are right syrup , something is up that pole and [ no kidding ] it looks like a monkey. :o

Hi Gramps

This is the one outside my bedroom window but it has none of the pot insulators on.

Can you explain why they were used and why it's not necessary to use them today.

Hi Gramps

This is the one outside my bedroom window but it has none of the pot insulators on.

Can you explain why they were used and why it's not necessary to use them today.

Sorry could not resist this..

Guest middle for diddle

I've just come across this interesting Forum. I grew up in the Firvale cottages through the fifties until they were demolished. was anyone else on here living in the area then?

Hi Gramps

As I'm sure our resident B T engineer would confirm that in days of yore, telephone services were provided over a pair of hard-drawn bare copper wires which were strung one each on the insulators to isolate them from each other and from earth. When they moved to insulated, one, and then two pair cables there was no further need for insulators but many were left in place until the poles were replaced. In many cases the multicore cables were anchored to the support pins of the old insulators. On older properties the modern cables are often terminated on one of the pair of old insulators. These building termination insulators had a little cavity in the top to house the joint to the insulated cable into the house, with a little screw cap to protect the joint.

HD