Cannon Hall (& Cottages)

dunsbyowl1867

Guest Gramps

I used to have those pages - are they from an old edition of the Burngreave Messenger ?

Perhaps you can persuade Albert to join in here on the forum ?

Guest Trefcon

Hi Gramps, there from a publication by the now defunct, i think, Burngreave Historical Society.

I'll have a word with 'Albert' when i see him. He has been busy of late, he's recently published his latest book on Paradise Square, of which he owe's me a copy!!

Dean.

Guest Trefcon

Found this wrapped up in my copy of Fairbanks 1795 map, its from Fairbanks field survey book dated 1768. The small print at the top says, if i can read it, 'James Genns? farm at Skinnerthorpe, belonging to Thos. Lees and ? ? Bourne, Esq'. Could the three buildings that appear on the 1795 map be the three buildings that appear in the bottom left of the field book, ie. James Genns farm? Just trying to narrow down a build date for Cannon Hall.

Comparing the field book and the 1795 map, the field boundaries fit like a glove.

Guest Trefcon

The relevant bit of Fairbanks 1795 map. The site of the Cannon Hall is the three buildings south west of Page Hall.

Guest Gramps

Found this wrapped up in my copy of Fairbanks 1795 map, its from Fairbanks field survey book dated 1768. The small print at the top says, if i can read it, 'James Genns? farm at Skinnerthorpe, belonging to Thos. Lees and ? ? Bourne, Esq'. Could the three buildings that appear on the 1795 map be the three buildings that appear in the bottom left of the field book, ie. James Genns farm? Just trying to narrow down a build date for Cannon Hall.

Comparing the field book and the 1795 map, the field boundaries fit like a glove.

I wouldn't say that exactly he he There is too much noise on Fairbank's sketch and it's not to scale. If he had included the line of Barnsley road, which was built in 1758/9, and Smilter lane, we could perhaps be more positive. As it is the building to the left of Skinnerthorpe farm could be The Hagg as shown on the 1795 and 1850s map. The field he names as 'Hill Top' seems to fit pretty well with the field on the 1850s showing a trig point.

Guest Trefcon

After another look, i agree Gramps. The parcel of land in the field book fits with the 1795 map, so the three buildings are probably Skinnerthorpe farm then? It looks like it would have stood to the right of St Cuthberts Church. That still leaves three buildings on the Cannon Hall site on the 1795 map. What were they!!

Took these early this morning, whats left of Cannon Hall cottages, a gate post and a bit of old stone wall. Also the bit of retaining wall to Firvale House that is at the back of 111/113 Skinnerthorpe Road. They have started to demolish Skinnerthorpe.

After another look, i agree Gramps. The parcel of land in the field book fits with the 1795 map, so the three buildings are probably Skinnerthorpe farm then? It looks like it would have stood to the right of St Cuthberts Church. That still leaves three buildings on the Cannon Hall site on the 1795 map. What were they!!

Took these early this morning, whats left of Cannon Hall cottages, a gate post and a bit of old stone wall. Also the bit of retaining wall to Firvale House that is at the back of 111/113 Skinnerthorpe Road. They have started to demolish Skinnerthorpe.

Just missed you Dean!

The site of the Cottages

And that of Cannon Hall

Guest Trefcon

Shame that Dunsby, i was on Skinnerthorpe Road after photo's of WW1 men's houses before they got knocked down.

Breaks my heart to see the Cannon Hall gone! The Companions next door has now shut up shop too, Keith & Wendy were brilliant landlord's.

Guest Gramps

The three buildings at Cannon Hall are likely the house and two outbuildings. The 1893 map gives a better idea of the buildings at Skinnerthorpe Farm. Hagg farm has disappeared under the 'reception' area of the Workhouse.

Shame that Dunsby, i was on Skinnerthorpe Road after photo's of WW1 men's houses before they got knocked down.

Breaks my heart to see the Cannon Hall gone! The Companions next door has now shut up shop too, Keith & Wendy were brilliant landlord's.

I have fond memories of the CAnnon - when I lived in London I used to travel up to Sheffield on a Friday before Wednesday games and me and my sister used to go in the Cannon often we were the only people in the large room on the left. I always found it a great place - others I understand didn't.

Guest Trefcon

The sale plan i mentioned in post 9. Also my 'stuff' i lent to someone has been lost !!!!

Lot 1 - The Residence called Firvale, with stables, Out-bulidings, Conservatories, Gardens and Pleasure Grounds, together with Grass Meadow adjoining thereto, now in the occupation of Miss Smith.

Fir Vale contains Dining Room, Drawing Room, and small Library, excellent Kitchens and Laundry, and a suitable number of Bedrooms.

The house has excellent water arrangements and heating apparatus.

There are good stables and loose boxes.

The conservatories and pleasure grounds are extensive and in capital order, and for its size, FIR VALE is one of the most complete residences in the neighbourhood of Sheffield, the late Mr. Smith having spared no expense either in regard to the house or the gardens.

The whole of the property is well supplied with water, and several of the Lots are well adapted for the erection of a superior class of dwelling houses, which are much required in this neighbourhood.

Lot 2 - Cannon Hall, with the Stable, Outbuildings, Gardens, Ornamental Grounds and Paddock, in the occupation of Mr. Ecroyd.

Lot 3 - School Field, having an extensive frontage to the Wakefield and Sheffield turnpike road.

Lot 4 - House-Field and Oven-Field, with Garden and Sheds, having a long frontage to Smilther Lane.

Lot 5 - Crabtree Cottage, Stable, Carriage-House, Vinery, Green House and Gardens, also two other Cottages and Gardens adjoining thereto.

Lot 6 - Croft and Plantation, with Frontage to Turnpike Road and Crabtree Lane.

Dean.

Guest Trefcon

Your welcome Gramps,

i was just wondering who owned the 'Firvale Estate', was it Smith ? and did he rent out all the other propertires ? Just curious as to how the whole area was for sale.

Dean.

The sale plan i mentioned in post 9. Also my 'stuff' i lent to someone has been lost !!!!

Dean.

A bit of a puzzle that one Dean,

this is the best I can do.

Excellent Dean and well done putting that together Steve.

I wonder when the last time someone played croquet in Fir Vale? lol

... Took these early this morning, whats left of Cannon Hall cottages, a gate post and a bit of old stone wall. Also the bit of retaining wall to Firvale House that is at the back of 111/113 Skinnerthorpe Road. They have started to demolish Skinnerthorpe.

I've been working on this 1916 group photo for a while (trying to identify folk - with the assistance of family, I'm up to about 18 so far), and have just been told that it's taken at 113 Skinnerthorpe Road - but I'm not clear what the stone wall on the left was originally part of. Anyone know ?

Dave.

Guest Trefcon

Hi Dave, that wall is the retainig wall, Fir Vale House sat above it fronting Owler Lane. Who's the soldier Dave ?

Dean.

Hi Dave, that wall is the retainig wall, Fir Vale House sat above it fronting Owler Lane. Who's the soldier Dave ?

Dean.

Dean - many thanks for that.

The soldier is George Emery, the bridegroom, and I understand that he's from Cambridgeshire (we're light on information but the bride was born c.1896). There's also another soldier, but out of uniform and standing next to the bride, on her left, Fred (Frederick William) Purdy, b.1890. We don't think that he had joined up at the time, but he probably served with the Northumberland Fusiliers.

Dave.

Hi Dave,

this will help.

1905 map from member Gramps post #14

(113 Skinnerthorpe Road. marked)

1954 OS map #84

link .. http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=4008&view=findpost&p=22887

This is a bit tangential, but I wasn't sure where best to post it ... [Moderator: please move this post if there's a better place on the Forums]

It has been suggested that this group photo was taken around 1925, and possibly at Firth Park School. Can anyone confirm the location, perhaps by identifying the building in the background ? TIA.

Dave.

Just missed you Dean!

The site of the Cottages

And that of Cannon Hall

Just found this in amongst a pile of old 78s. Anyone heard of Levi Dalton ?

Sheffield Flood Claim

Claimant: Levi Dalton

Cutler of: Shire Green

Particulars of Claim. Loss of wages and Employment and Rent in consequence of the Stoppage of the works at Chadburn's Wheel, Stanley Street, 8 days @ 2/6 whereby the Claimant is injured to the amount of £1

Claimed: £1

Award: Assessed by Assent at £1

Granted: 19 May 1865

Unusual name so this could be him

ECCLESFIELD

St Mary burials

23 Mar 1869 Mary Ellen DALTON, infant

23 Feb 1870 Elizabeth Ann DALTON, 31

23 Mar 1870 Sarah DALTON, infant

14 Apr 1871 Joseph DALTON, 2

17 Oct 1894 Maria DALTON, 55

29 Dec 1901 Levi DALTON, 76

That's more info than Picture Sheffield have on it http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s06133

But what is that pole on the causey edge ?? Did we have telegraph poles in 1878 ??

The phone was patented in 1877 so it's just possible, but the pole looks as if it has numerous cross pieces at the top.

Doubtful if they would need all those as early on as that.

I think we need another explanation for what it is.

Unless the date is wrong.