Cannon Hall (& Cottages)

dunsbyowl1867

I've been searching for some decent photographs of Cannon Hall but can't seem to find any. Anyway an information on when built and who lived there?

Guest Trefcon

As in a previous post this was my 'local' for about 16 years, up to when they demolished it!!

Again, i must get my stuff back from my mate. I had a meeting with Whitbread brewery in the 90's about the history of the place. Afraid they didn't know much, they did give me a copy of an 'Indenture'? for one of the previous residents. I also have a pic of the place in the 60's with an old man walking down the 'ramp'. I did collect a few maps of the place spanning quite a few years, these helped show the reduction in the size of the 'estate' as the surrounding housing was built.

I promise i'll get my stuff back and post what i have.

Dean.

Well if you insist.... lol

My info is that Cannon Hall was built by one Edward Smith who owned a foundry in the Wicker. Built arounnd 1780 on a plot of land that included a small piece on the other side of Barnsley road. It was here Smith had built a row of rather posh cottages for some of his household staff. The grounds to the house extended some way down Owler lane and included a small lake supplied by Bagley Dyke.

I've never seen any photos of the house before it became a pub but there are two of the cottages on Picture Sheffield.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s06133

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s11420

By the time of the 1893 survey Skinnerthorpe road was already laid out but I had a sale plan of about 1860 that showed the full layout of the house and grounds, can't find it now, but the 1905 map shows only half of the grounds that originally went with the house.

Well if you insist.... lol

My info is that Cannon Hall was built by one Edward Smith who owned a foundry in the Wicker. Built arounnd 1780 on a plot of land that included a small piece on the other side of Barnsley road. It was here Smith had built a row of rather posh cottages for some of his household staff. The grounds to the house extended some way down Owler lane and included a small lake supplied by Bagley Dyke.

I've never seen any photos of the house before it became a pub but there are two of the cottages on Picture Sheffield.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s06133

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s11420

By the time of the 1893 survey Skinnerthorpe road was already laid out but I had a sale plan of about 1860 that showed the full layout of the house and grounds, can't find it now, but the 1905 map shows only half of the grounds that originally went with the house.

Peter Harvey - Street Names of Sheffield 'It was owned in the mid C19th by Edward Smith of William and Edward Smith, ironmasters in the Wicker. Mr Smith lived at Firvale but not at Cannon Hall, which he leased out. When the hall was offered to let in 1846 it had 3 acres of ground with it, 2 rooms on the ground floor and 4 main bedrooms.'

Cannon Hall is something of an enigma. The only references I've found to it in directories are two entries for John Shuttleworth -

Shuttleworth, John (soap boiler),near Canal Bason - h: Cannon Hall, Gells Directory of Sheffield - 1825

Shuttleworth, John (soap boiler), Blast Lane; h. Cannon Hall, Whites History & Directory of Sheffield - 1833

The Smiths, Iron Founders, seem to have been operating in the Wicker since at least 1811, but the first mention of a separate residence is in 1849, when Edward's is given at Fir Vale, Pitsmoor.

Really need to see a large scale 1850s map of Fir vale area, but Local Studies don't have one. My copy of the 6inch map is very poor but doesn't show a property called Fir Vale.

Guest Trefcon

Gramps, i dont know if its 1850's but there is a large colour 'sale' map of the Fir Vale estate at Local Studie's, i've seen it. This is a beautiful map, showing Fir Vale House and the landscaped grounds, as well as the large lake which stood just about where Skinnerthorpe road is now. The estate was split up intp lots for sale, hence the map. Edward Smith, if i remember right there was a date stone with the initials 'E-S' inscribed upon them built into the Cannon Hall cottages. The earliest map i have seen for the Cannon Hall site, year of which i cant remember, shows three seperate buildings on the site.

Dean.

Gramps, i dont know if its 1850's but there is a large colour 'sale' map of the Fir Vale estate at Local Studie's, i've seen it. This is a beautiful map, showing Fir Vale House and the landscaped grounds, as well as the large lake which stood just about where Skinnerthorpe road is now. The estate was split up intp lots for sale, hence the map. Edward Smith, if i remember right there was a date stone with the initials 'E-S' inscribed upon them built into the Cannon Hall cottages. The earliest map i have seen for the Cannon Hall site, year of which i cant remember, shows three seperate buildings on the site.

Dean.

There was Fir Vale House on Skinnerthorpe Road - I have it on a map somewhere and I understand that the gates posts still remain. This was separate from Cannon Hall I understand. I'll try and find the leaflet I have details of it on and get back to you.

Lyn

There was Fir Vale House on Skinnerthorpe Road - I have it on a map somewhere and I understand that the gates posts still remain. This was separate from Cannon Hall I understand. I'll try and find the leaflet I have details of it on and get back to you.

Lyn

Hi if you look on this thread there is a map of c 1905 showing Fir Vale house- I assume it was where the Co-op buildings were built.

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...&hl=firvale

Lyn

Yes, - it's shown and named on the 1905 map

Shown, but not named on the 1893 map

What me and Dunsby would like to know is when Cannon Hall and Fir Vale were built and by whom :)

Be interesting if the gate-posts ae still around.

Yes, - it's shown and named on the 1905 map

Shown, but not named on the 1893 map

What me and Dunsby would like to know is when Cannon Hall and Fir Vale were built and by whom :)

Be interesting if the gate-posts ae still around.

I try & photogrph them later this week lol

Edward Vickers - Old Sheffield Town

Cannon Hall Cottages - 'these pleasant buildings were originally the sleeping accomodation for the grooms of Cannon Hall, but later they served as part of the old Fir Vale Workhouse.

They were converted into cottages in 1839 and this date appeared above the doorway on the centre building. The date stone read 'E1839S' the initials standing for Edward Smith, who converted the dwellings. The cottages were probably of the late 17th or 18th century and they can be seen on the Fairbanks map of 1795.'

They were converted into cottages in 1839 and this date appeared above the doorway on the centre building. The date stone read 'E1839S' the initials standing for Edward Smith, who converted the dwellings. The cottages were probably of the late 17th or 18th century and they can be seen on the Fairbanks map of 1795.'

So they can, and Cannon Hall and a lot of Bagley Dyke ;-)

Good old Vickers ! Although I doubt 'late 17th. century'

So they can, and Cannon Hall and a lot of Bagley Dyke ;-)

Good old Vickers ! Although I doubt 'late 17th. century'

Grand stuff Gramps!

Like this ;-) from 1856

Guest Trefcon

Dont know where i got this, but another view of Cannon Hall Cottages. I,ve also wrote that they were built in 1839 and demolished in Oct 1968, again cant remember my source!

Looking at the state of the roof, this must have been taken just prior to demolition?

Guest Trefcon

Gramps/Dunsby, i know i said my mate had all my Cannon Hall stuff, but i have found these today.

again i cant remember where i got all this, it must have been when i was researching the area in the mid 90's. The sale catologue i'm sure went with the Sale map i referred to earlier.

Gramps/Dunsby, i know i said my mate had all my Cannon Hall stuff, but i have found these today.

again i cant remember where i got all this, it must have been when i was researching the area in the mid 90's. The sale catologue i'm sure went with the Sale map i referred to earlier.

Thanks Dean, that's fascinating. I was born at 129 Skinnerthorpe Road, the first of the row of houses set above the road as opposed to the rest of the terrace houses at street level. I assume they were built after the others, but have never sorted out why they stand so high. Presumably they were built on the grounds of the house, but if so the grounds must have had quite a slope on that side?

Guest Trefcon

Hi Bayleaf,

i'm off down Skinnerthorpe ASAP, i have about half a dozen Sheffield men killed in WW1 that lived on there. I want to photograph where they lived then before they demolish the houses. Problem is i need to search througfh my files for the addresse's!!! One i do know though is Capt. Matt Shepherd's, he lived at 107.

Dean.

Hi Bayleaf,

i'm off down Skinnerthorpe ASAP, i have about half a dozen Sheffield men killed in WW1 that lived on there. I want to photograph where they lived then before they demolish the houses. Problem is i need to search througfh my files for the addresse's!!! One i do know though is Capt. Matt Shepherd's, he lived at 107.

Dean.

Fantastic material Dean !

Amazing !! I look forward to you getting the Cannon Hall stuff back from your mate.

Interesting that Smith had also acquired Crabtree Cottage, I imagine Lot 6 was the plot with the pond.

Perhaps Cannon Hall cottages are missing from the sale because they had already been bought by the guardians of the workhouse as staff accommodation ?

The Fairbank map shows that Cannon Hall and what was to become the row of cottages was there in 1795 and I wouldn't mind betting there are plans etc. in the Fairbank collection pertaining to the erection of Fir Vale House. Fairbank seems to have been everybody's choice of surveyor in that period.