Batemoor/ Jordanthorpe

Stuart0742

Around 1966-68 lol

I thought it may be a bit before this, late 50's - early 60's, about the same time as the Herdings and Hemsworth but I'm not entirely sure.

I thought it may be a bit before this, late 50's - early 60's, about the same time as the Herdings and Hemsworth but I'm not entirely sure.

The reason I ask is I am trying to date an OS map, Lowedges estate is on but there is no development to the east of the A61, I remember the A61 being made into a dual carriageway in 1965 ish, I am sure the estates were built then.

Batemoor was built, I am sure, before the Jordanthorpe. The houses/flats on the latter estate were finished mid 1968, although the shopping centre wasn't completed till aabout 1971.

Think Batemoor may have been started around 1965-66ish

Batemoor was built, I am sure, before the Jordanthorpe. The houses/flats on the latter estate were finished mid 1968, although the shopping centre wasn't completed till aabout 1971.

Think Batemoor may have been started around 1965-66ish

What about the Lowedges estate, anybody any thoughts on that

Guest plain talker

What about the Lowedges estate, anybody any thoughts on that

*points Stuart to her comment from earlier^^^^^*

New rule

read all the posts before asking another question lol

Just thought I would ask a quick simple question

When were the Batemoor and Jordanthorpe estates built?

Oops! sorry Stuart, just broken your new rule :o

Quick simple question

When were the Batemoor and Jordanthorpe estates built?

As an apprentice Painter/Decorator my boss sent me to Batemoor to paint on the Vic Hallam houses at the Bottom of the estate, Bowshaw end, in 1964. There was not much built at the time so I would say that was the year it started, we were working on the Maisonettes at the top of the estate in 1966 and I think that is the year it was finished, we then moved over the road to work on the Jordanthorpe which had started, I think but not sure, in 1965.

As an apprentice Painter/Decorator my boss sent me to Batemoor to paint on the Vic Hallam houses at the Bottom of the estate, Bowshaw end, in 1964. There was not much built at the time so I would say that was the year it started, we were working on the Maisonettes at the top of the estate in 1966 and I think that is the year it was finished, we then moved over the road to work on the Jordanthorpe which had started, I think but not sure, in 1965.

We moved into Lingfoot, which I think was one of the first areas, in late 67/early1968. The tower blocks were still going up then. The paper shop was a hut on batemoor, and a couple of mobile shops used to visit.

hiya, i can tell you the date jordanthorpe estate opened it was october 1967. how do i remember, we were the first to get the keys on the monday morning,we moved in on the following friday at the time we were told.  if we wanted the house move in if not hand the key's back, the block was no 117,119, 121,123 ,125,127, the first and last houses were swopps, meaning they moved in from other council property,they were both called brown, we at 119 were called white,next door the hudsons, then the spooners,can't remember the last couple as they didn't stay long,i remember my wife having to shop at meadowhead or lowedges at first the mobile shop didn't start for a while.

On 4/5/2017 at 14:47, willybite said:

hiya, i can tell you the date jordanthorpe estate opened it was october 1967. how do i remember, we were the first to get the keys on the monday morning,we moved in on the following friday at the time we were told.  if we wanted the house move in if not hand the key's back, the block was no 117,119, 121,123 ,125,127, the first and last houses were swopps, meaning they moved in from other council property,they were both called brown, we at 119 were called white,next door the hudsons, then the spooners,can't remember the last couple as they didn't stay long,i remember my wife having to shop at meadowhead or lowedges at first the mobile shop didn't start for a while.the browns child went to john bingham or lowedges,one or the other to my knowledge one of the first are still there 

Hi willibite

I remember walking over to Jordanthorpe with a mate to watch him play football at the Sheffield Twist Drill sports ground a few years before the estate was built, i was 16 at the time so would have been 1962!

We crossed over Chesterfield Road opposite the Transport Ground at Meadowhead and made our way down past the James Neil sports ground, this was located about where the Park Hotel now stands, taking a short cut across the fields to Dyche Lane we walked down past Jordanthorpe Girls School and around the double bend in the road(at the time there was still a couple of farm buildings on the bend), about a hundred yards down Dyche Lane a hedge lined country lane led off to the left, we walked along this lane for about a quarter of a mile, at the end of the lane was the Sheffield Twist Drill sports ground, the changing room was just an old wooden hut, an old cast iron pot belly stove supplied the heating and hot water to a couple of showers, after the match we walked over the fields to the Nags Head on Chesterfield Road South.

There was also a sports ground behind the Nags Head where we sometimes played as kids, this ground also belonged to a Sheffield Steel Firm, can`t remember who it was tho!