Norbury Hall, Barnsley Rd

Lyn 1

Can anyone tell me what Norbury Hall is used for now? I know it was used by the TA until recent years and was originally a very large family house. It is tucked away on Barnsley Rd near the Sportsman pub.

Thanks

Lyn

Guest Trefcon

Hi Lyn 1,

I joined the Army Cadets there in about 1976 to 1979. Monday night's it were.

It's a Mosque now, i think.

The Drill Hall has been flattened. I dont know about the indoor firing range though, i gained my 'Marksman' badge on that range with a .22 rimfire/centerfire rifle. We also went to Strensall at York where i fired the S.L.R. and the old Lee Enfield. Annual camp was at 'Proteus'? near Mansfield i think? I also had two weeks at Aldershot.

After drilling/parading was over everyone use to retire to the bar! We had sweets, the instructors had beer!! The roof of the 'pub' had a parachute strewn across the ceiling. Hey, RichardB, bet you haven't got that 'pub' on yer list!!

I'm currently reading the story of Capt. Matt Sheperd of the Yorkshire Dragoons, quite a bit of info and history in there about Norbury.

Dean.

Hi Lyn 1,

The Drill Hall has been flattened. I dont know about the indoor firing range though, i gained my 'Marksman' badge on that range with a .22 rimfire/centerfire rifle. We also went to Strensall at York where i fired the S.L.R. and the old Lee Enfield. Annual camp was at 'Proteus'? near Mansfield i think? I also had two weeks at Aldershot.

After drilling/parading was over everyone use to retire to the bar! We had sweets, the instructors had beer!! The roof of the 'pub' had a parachute strewn across the ceiling. Hey, RichardB, bet you haven't got that 'pub' on yer list!!

I'm currently reading the story of Capt. Matt Sheperd of the Yorkshire Dragoons, quite a bit of info and history in there about Norbury.

Dean.

Thanks Dean - I will look out for the book you mention. I thought that was the way the Hall had gone. I have always wanted to have look around the place because you can't see much with it being hidden away.

1881 census gives

HALL John M 56 M Head Sheffield, Wholesale Grocer

HALL Ann Broadhead F 54 M Wife Sheffield,

HALL John Francis M 27 U Son Sheffield, Manager Of Works

HALL Charles E. M 24 U Son Sheffield, Solicitor

HALL Henry F. M 16 Son Sheffield,Scholar

HALL Albert E. M 10 Son Sheffield, Scholar - along with a variety of servants of course.

Lyn

Thanks Dean - I will look out for the book you mention. I thought that was the way the Hall had gone. I have always wanted to have look around the place because you can't see much with it being hidden away.

1881 census gives

HALL John M 56 M Head Sheffield, Wholesale Grocer

HALL Ann Broadhead F 54 M Wife Sheffield,

HALL John Francis M 27 U Son Sheffield, Manager Of Works

HALL Charles E. M 24 U Son Sheffield, Solicitor

HALL Henry F. M 16 Son Sheffield,Scholar

HALL Albert E. M 10 Son Sheffield, Scholar - along with a variety of servants of course.

Lyn

Hi Lyn My sister lives on Norwood Road just behind some 20th century houses that are on the TA site - she has spoken to the occupants - possibly eastern European - do you know who previously lived in these?

Hi Lyn My sister lives on Norwood Road just behind some 20th century houses that are on the TA site - she has spoken to the occupants - possibly eastern European - do you know who previously lived in these?

Although I have lived Firth Park/Lane Top area all my life I really don't know much about the area around Norbury Hall and I must have a nosey round soon as things tend to hange without warning these days. I remember the Limes club, the Sunbeam picture house etc.

I know someone was querying the old Cannon Hall the other day. I recall it from the 50s when it was more or less derelict and I seem to recollect it was a white building. Years later we knew the landlord of the pub and we were told that the new part of the pub was built around the old Cannon Hall. They showed us in the corridors where the floor sloped as we moved from new to old. Across the road were the old cottages which had belonged to Cannon Hall and which supposedly had also housed some of the people from the workhouse according to one history book though I have never found anything to document this.

Lyn

Although I have lived Firth Park/Lane Top area all my life I really don't know much about the area around Norbury Hall and I must have a nosey round soon as things tend to hange without warning these days. I remember the Limes club, the Sunbeam picture house etc.

I know someone was querying the old Cannon Hall the other day. I recall it from the 50s when it was more or less derelict and I seem to recollect it was a white building. Years later we knew the landlord of the pub and we were told that the new part of the pub was built around the old Cannon Hall. They showed us in the corridors where the floor sloped as we moved from new to old. Across the road were the old cottages which had belonged to Cannon Hall and which supposedly had also housed some of the people from the workhouse according to one history book though I have never found anything to document this.

Lyn

Interesting stuff Lyn

here's map of Norbury beginning of 20th Century.

Hi Lyn 1,

Dean.

HI I joined the LDV In 1941,at Burngreave Vestry Hall ,we did a bit of drill and lectures about fire arms, there was about 12 of us at first ,we would take it in turns to watch for incendary bombs , when the sirens sounded, We had 3/6 a night we were in our own clothes for 3 months, till we were kitted in uniform we went to the old firing range at Totley for 303 rifle practise. Then we were transferred to Norburh Hall for further training ,it was then the Home Guard ,we went there twice a week, after 3 monthsi ,l and several others were then attached to Ack Ack site ,on the Manor lane, we oten went for Mills bomb practise

then we went to some secret location to fire one of these rocket missiles, they were a crude a ffair to look at but must have been effective,it was an enormous row when fired. l rather enjoyed this experience as a lad of 17 [isaid l was 18] Skeets PS saw Matt Shepperd several times a fine man .with his walrus tache

HI I joined the LDV In 1941,at Burngreave Vestry Hall ,we did a bit of drill and lectures about fire arms, there was about 12 of us at first ,we would take it in turns to watch for incendary bombs , when the sirens sounded, We had 3/6 a night we were in our own clothes for 3 months, till we were kitted in uniform we went to the old firing range at Totley for 303 rifle practise. Then we were transferred to Norburh Hall for further training ,it was then the Home Guard ,we went there twice a week, after 3 monthsi ,l and several others were then attached to Ack Ack site ,on the Manor lane, we oten went for Mills bomb practise

then we went to some secret location to fire one of these rocket missiles, they were a crude a ffair to look at but must have been effective,it was an enormous row when fired. l rather enjoyed this experience as a lad of 17 [isaid l was 18] Skeets PS saw Matt Shepperd several times a fine man .with his walrus tache

Great stuff Skeets - were you the 'Private Pike' pf your troop?

have you seen these ?

Members of the York & Lancaster Regiment at Norbury Hall

Another photo of members of the Y & L Regt.

69th West Riding Home Guard at Norbury Hall

Cooking demonstration, 1944

Home Guard on exercise at Norbury Hall

Can anyone tell me what Norbury Hall is used for now? I know it was used by the TA until recent years and was originally a very large family house. It is tucked away on Barnsley Rd near the Sportsman pub.

Thanks

Lyn

After all that Lyn - in answer to your question it looks as though part of it is still used for military activities being a amy cadet HQ. Rest of it - who knows? Anyone know what these various builings are? You can still see the original hall at the front.

Guest skeets

Copy of the probate copy of the will of Samuel Bailey, of Norbury, Sheffield, esq TT/195 [1876]

These documents are held at Sheffield Archives

Contents:

[Will, 1 October 1860; probate, 9 February 1870].