Darnall Cinemas Postcard

dunsbyowl1867

...on the site of "Wilkinsons" store , for reference. ;-)

Hey transit, and not a car bus or group of 3 matching vehicles in sight in this picture either!

Is there still a Wilkinsons in Darnall? I know that Morrisons is long gone.

Guest transit

Hey transit, and not a car bus or group of 3 matching vehicles in sight in this picture either!

Is there still a Wilkinsons in Darnall? I know that Morrisons is long gone.

........would make a good "then and now" anyone ? but would probably have to stand on the pelican crossing island on the busy Greenland Rd. Yes , Wilkinsons is still there ,and always seems busy ,but difficult to find a parking space if in car ! Morrisons went around 8 years ago ,and a new Lidl was built in place. Across the road , the legendary Greenthorpes petrol station has now gone ,and is currently being redeveloped by Jet .

........would make a good "then and now" anyone ? but would probably have to stand on the pelican crossing island on the busy Greenland Rd. Yes , Wilkinsons is still there ,and always seems busy ,but difficult to find a parking space if in car ! Morrisons went around 8 years ago ,and a new Lidl was built in place. Across the road , the legendary Greenthorpes petrol station has now gone ,and is currently being redeveloped by Jet .

My wife's a Darnall lass and she informs me that after being the Cinema House it then became a Tesco and then Wilkinsons which it still is.

The Tesco was opened in 1967 by the late Freddie Garity (Freddie out of "Freddie and the Dreamers") and I have a picture of him doing just that in the book "Sheffield in the Sixties" by Peter Goodman / Star Press.

Its the shop that sells posh light fittings. Wilkinsons is in what was Tesco's store My Gran lived on Brittania Road in a house where the library is now and we used to go through a passge from the yard at the back of Tescos onto the terminus

Guest Unitedite

Darnall

Fantastic photograph, all the more so, because I never realised that this place had been a cinema.

I'll have a closer look the next time I'm down there.

I've always tended to hurry past before, because of the better half's penchant for buying all manner of things of a house furnishing ilk!!! <_<

Is the existing building the original structure featured in the photograph do you think?

Fantastic photograph, all the more so, because I never realised that this place had been a cinema.

I'll have a closer look the next time I'm down there.

I've always tended to hurry past before, because of the better half's penchant for buying all manner of things of a house furnishing ilk!!! <_<

Is the existing building the original structure featured in the photograph do you think?

The side wall on Greenland Road is certainly original.

Round the back is a narrow alleyway which was the cinema exit.I can remember being brought out of the Saturday matinees that way,as a small child in the 50's.

Don't think it would pass Health and Safety nowadays!