Blades Fans Wanted...

Sheffield History

We are looking for blades fans to help us out with this section by posting old pictures, memories etc

If you are a United fan and can help out - please feel free to dive in and post some information in this section !

STARTED GOING TO BRAMALL LANE IN LATE 50s. BORN AND BRED ON WEDNESDAYS DOORSTEP BUT ALLWAYS PREFERED THE BETTER LOCAL TEAM UNITED. BUT NOBDY WUD TEK MI AS I USED TO MOAN. BUT I WAS ABLE TO SEE SOME OF THE GREATEST PLAYERS THAT HAVE DONNED A UNITED SHIRT. PLAYERS WHO PLAYED FOR THE SPORTS SAKE AND NOT THERE POCKETS.

AND HERE IS A TEAM THAT I THINK WOULD TAKE SOME BEATING OF DEDICATED PLAYERS.HODGKINSON-BADGER-GRAHAM SHAW-JOE SHAW-COLQUHOUN-POWELL-WOODWARD-CURRIE-PACE-TUDOR-GRAINGER SUBS-McALLISTER-COLDWELL-SUMMERS-BIRCHANALL-LEN ALLCHURCH. THEY MIGHT NOT HAVE HAD THE PACE OF TODAYS PLAYERS BUT THEY WOULD MAKE UP FOR IT BY THERE CRAFT AND ABILITY.

FOOT-NOTE. TOOK MY WIFE OUT FOR THE FIRST TIME TO A MATCH AT LANE IN 1961. STOOD HALF WAY UP COP JUST A BIT HIGHER THAN GANGWAY. CANNON BALL RON SIMPSON CRACKED THE BALL JUSTOVER BAR. THE PEOPLE IN FRONT DUCKED BUT MY WIFE DIDN'T.SOMETHING REPORTER FREDDIE (HAGEN) WALTERS MISSED.

Guest daveyboy66

STARTED GOING TO BRAMALL LANE IN LATE 50s. BORN AND BRED ON WEDNESDAYS DOORSTEP BUT ALLWAYS PREFERED THE BETTER LOCAL TEAM UNITED. BUT NOBDY WUD TEK MI AS I USED TO MOAN. BUT I WAS ABLE TO SEE SOME OF THE GREATEST PLAYERS THAT HAVE DONNED A UNITED SHIRT. PLAYERS WHO PLAYED FOR THE SPORTS SAKE AND NOT THERE POCKETS.

AND HERE IS A TEAM THAT I THINK WOULD TAKE SOME BEATING OF DEDICATED PLAYERS.HODGKINSON-BADGER-GRAHAM SHAW-JOE SHAW-COLQUHOUN-POWELL-WOODWARD-CURRIE-PACE-TUDOR-GRAINGER SUBS-McALLISTER-COLDWELL-SUMMERS-BIRCHANALL-LEN ALLCHURCH. THEY MIGHT NOT HAVE HAD THE PACE OF TODAYS PLAYERS BUT THEY WOULD MAKE UP FOR IT BY THERE CRAFT AND ABILITY.

FOOT-NOTE. TOOK MY WIFE OUT FOR THE FIRST TIME TO A MATCH AT LANE IN 1961. STOOD HALF WAY UP COP JUST A BIT HIGHER THAN GANGWAY. CANNON BALL RON SIMPSON CRACKED THE BALL JUSTOVER BAR. THE PEOPLE IN FRONT DUCKED BUT MY WIFE DIDN'T.SOMETHING REPORTER FREDDIE (HAGEN) WALTERS MISSED.

No Mick Jones :o

One of the first football games I ever saw was at United's training ground at Ball Inn - a place where the wind obviously blew straight in from Siberia - the match was a junior match in which the Blade's right back was Len Badger - don't remember much about the game, apart that is from the freezing cold!

Later on used to go to watch Yorkshire Cricket with my Grandad and loved to explore the empty seats of the football end - on one brave occaision even sneaking into the 'dugout' which was made of whitewashed concrete with a red painted wooden bench - a little different from the plexi-glassed, heated seated areas of today!

Guest Blade68

My Dad started taking me to The Lane in the mid 70's.... I started out at the front of the Kop (remember the white railings?), but as me Dad got older we progressed on to John Street East (nearest the Kop).

We used to call in at that crappy little shop on John Street to buy Mars Bar cake and wine gums for the match... and I think a programme was about 10p!!!!

First players I remember were Currie, Woody, Jim Brown, Eddie C & John Flynn.... but it was that era when Keith Edwards, Simon Stainrod and Tony Kenworthy were breaking through....

Anyone remember John McGeady? Woody's understudy on the right wing - broke his leg after about 6 matches and never played again... he was a right flyer an all!!!

NEVER REALISED PEOPLE HAD SUCH TERRIBLE UP BRINGINGS CANT IMAGINE WHAT IT MUST HAVE BEEN LIKE

WATCHING THE BLADES

Guest sheffsteel

My first ever match was Sheff U 3 West Ham 2 in 1975. The famous game on match of day when Currie scored 2 and the commentator said the famous words "a quality goal from a quality player". I remember many fans wearing rosettes and some had them spinner things that made a load of noise, you could also buy pendants from the street vendors. On my way home we caught the bus on the Moor (before pedestrianisation).

In 76 and 77 some of my uncles too me to both Bramall Lane and Hillsboro. I never liked Hillsboro because as there was no roof on the Kop the atmosphere always seemed poor compared to Bramall Lane. Also in the mid to late 70's everyone at school seemed to support United.

I have loads of other memories of the Lane (too numerous to mention) but a few are.

1: They used to show the half-time scores on a board at the Bramall Lane end, however they used to update the Wednesday score when ever there was a goal. So if we saw the man walk around the stadium with a square piece of plywood in his hand then we kew there'd been a goal in the Wednesday match. There was a sense of excitement and everyone would cheer or groan dependant on whether Wednesday had scored.

2: From 77 to 85 I used to always stand in the John Street Terrace near the away end. I remember in the late 70's you always used to get away

fans stood in the John Street terrace. There weren't any trouble but there was always an uncomfortabale atmosphere. In the 70's and 80's and even early 90's away fans could go anywhere they wanted (apart from maybe the other teams Kop). Even in the early 90's Sheffield derbies you would see blue and white scarves in every stand apart from the Kop and red and white scarves in differetn sections of Hillsboro in the return match.

3: In the late 70's and 80's you didn't see many women at matches and I can't remember ever seeing a girl on the Kop.

When I was a school it wasn't fashionable for a girl to like football. It had a bad reputation and everyone seemed to think there was trouble at every match.

4: In the Division 4 years of 1982. I remember a night game against Bradford, their fans threw all this sparkly ticker tape stuff (like Argentian 78) on the pitch when they came out the tunnel. The crowd that night was 24,500 approx, which was more than the Liverpool (top of Div 1) v Birmingham game played on the same night. We also played Wigan that season in a boring match. Their player manager Larry Lloyd was getting stick from the Kop about him being fat so he turned round, pulled down his shorts and did a moony at the Kop. Keith Edwards did nothing all game then popped up with a last minute winner.

I'm entirely of The Wednesday persuasion, but Good Luck to Sheffield United in this afternoons important game, fingers crossed for you.

Guest Sheffield Steve

Seems this section is monopolised by Owls fans (groan). The Blades have always been the best Sheffield team, always been more sucessful.

I have some old photos to post soon, once I get my scanner working again!!

Watch this space!