If there was one picture you could find....

Sheffield History

What about a pic of that great chunk of meat that used to hang in the butchers in the old meat market

Photos of both sides of Vulcan Road`s Sheffield District Railway bridge. The last time I saw it was in the late 80s when I was taking a short cut to Weedon St from Meadowhall. It was just standing there all on its own, the embankments either side of it had been removed a few weeks earlier. It was fair crying out to be photogaphed but the next time I was down that way it had gone.

The Crown public house on Carlisle Road Grimesthorpe. I would love to get a photo of this as my husband lived in the house below it. I've searched everywhere trying to find one.

Lyn

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

The Crown public house on Carlisle Road Grimesthorpe. I would love to get a photo of this as my husband lived in the house below it. I've searched everywhere trying to find one.

Lyn

I would dearly love to find a photo of Newhall School on Paget Street --I mean the SENIOR school, not the Infants. I have seen many pictures of the Infants school on Sanderson Street, this being one of the oldest Board schools in Sheffield. But the senior school, which was across the road and opened around 1895, seems to have been overlooked. Over many years I have searched high and low without success, and I shall be very surprised (but very pleased) if someone turns up a picture of this school, which was demolished sometime in the late 1960s, I think.

K

I would dearly love to find a photo of Newhall School on Paget Street --I mean the SENIOR school, not the Infants. I have seen many pictures of the Infants school on Sanderson Street, this being one of the oldest Board schools in Sheffield. But the senior school, which was across the road and opened around 1895, seems to have been overlooked. Over many years I have searched high and low without success, and I shall be very surprised (but very pleased) if someone turns up a picture of this school, which was demolished sometime in the late 1960s, I think.

K

So it is not this one!

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...&hl=newhall

hi

anyone have a photo of worthing rd at its junction with ripon street, before

twas redesigned for the tram ect ? its my dream to find one i have been looking for ages

but no luck :-(

Thanks

Ma

No that is a pix of the infants school. The senior school, built around 1895, was across the road.

I have seen one somewhere I am trying to remember! he he

I have seen one somewhere I am trying to remember! he he

There were a number of schools in Sheffield that were not unlike the senior school at Newhall --that is, the style was the same. Coleridge Road may have been one that was similar. It is hard to describe in words what the style was, but the frontage came to two separate points, the roof slanted away, and above the roof was a sort of bell tower. The infants school across the road was very different, somehow, but that was built quite a long time earlier, perhaps (and I'm speaking off the top) 25 years earlier.

There were a number of schools in Sheffield that were not unlike the senior school at Newhall --that is, the style was the same. Coleridge Road may have been one that was similar. It is hard to describe in words what the style was, but the frontage came to two separate points, the roof slanted away, and above the roof was a sort of bell tower. The infants school across the road was very different, somehow, but that was built quite a long time earlier, perhaps (and I'm speaking off the top) 25 years earlier.

A bit mucky and I suppose comparing this to the engraving - this is also the original (and later infants school?)

A bit mucky and I suppose comparing this to the engraving - this is also the original (and later infants school?)

Yes, this is the Infants School.

I did say that I shall be very surprised if anyone has a photo of the senior school.

I suppose someone who is a bit of a schools historian might be able to identify other schools that were built to the same design (they would have to be in the 1895-1905 period, I would think), so that one could use this as a basis for a drawing or suchlike.

Many years ago, I did raise this subject (of a pix of the senior school) in a letter to the old Education Dept, but I never had a reply.

Guest OLD No.12

i would like pictures of spirit merchant buildings of the 1850's to go with my collection which then tells a storey.

Hi

After reading about its very busy and renowned past on the Kelham Island website, i would love a picture of the River Don Engine, in-situ in either Cammells Grimesthorpe works, or the River Don works. With it still attached the the plate rolling mill. I have tried Picture Sheffield, but nothing.

Would love to see it pre restoration, covered in filth and grime churning out tonne after tonne of armour plate, and with some of the men who worked it.

For some reason my love of Sheffield history has recently taken a turn in the direction of the Steel industry (i think it might have something to do with living at Wincobank, driving around meadowhall daily and down Carlisle street etc).

Anyone?

Dan

Hi

After reading about its very busy and renowned past on the Kelham Island website, i would love a picture of the River Don Engine, in-situ in either Cammells Grimesthorpe works, or the River Don works. With it still attached the the plate rolling mill. I have tried Picture Sheffield, but nothing.

Would love to see it pre restoration, covered in filth and grime churning out tonne after tonne of armour plate, and with some of the men who worked it.

For some reason my love of Sheffield history has recently taken a turn in the direction of the Steel industry (i think it might have something to do with living at Wincobank, driving around meadowhall dayley and down Carlisle street etc).

Anyone?

Dan

Danny, If you go to Kelham Island they show a film of the engine as it was, working at River Don. I worked there from 69 to 73 in Production Control. I used to skive off to watch the mill every now and then. It didn,t always run because of lack of orders . Chobham armour plating was made there for tanks. Birch trees were slung onto the plate every few turns to remove the plate crust as it cooled. A fantastic sight.!!

Wonderful, thanks Poppy!

I was planning a visit to Kelham Island anyway, not having been since school. I can vaguely remember the engine, and it being very intimidating.

It must have been amazing to see it working, actually doing its job, rather than just as a museum peice.

Thanks again.

Dan

Wonderful, thanks Poppy!

I was planning a visit to Kelham Island anyway, not having been since school. I can vaguely remember the engine, and it being very intimidating.

It must have been amazing to see it working, actually doing its job, rather than just as a museum peice.

Thanks again.

Dan

Hi Dan did you come across this is your search ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A3989000

Cheers

I found H2G2, with some info on, but didnt find that page, thats great, thanks for that.

I know what i am reading for the next 30 minutes, lol.

Wonderful, thanks Poppy!

Thanks again.

Dan

If you intend visiting the museum especially to see the engine running, I would give them a ring first ........ I'm almost sure the engine is only run twice a day now, not every hour as it used to be.

In the meantime heres the engine in all its glory ....... only ticking over though!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-qtA1Pe3pxU

Thansk for everyones help with info on the River Don Engine, provided lots of interesting reading.

I have another two 'ideal' pictures

1) Commercial Street - but not the side normally seen in photographs with the Gas Works etc, i would like to see a picture of the side where Barclays, HLW, Adecco are etc. Cant seem to find a photo of here.

2) James Chesterman works, Pomona street etc while still the original 'works'. Have worked in the now Norwich Union building for almost 7 years now, 5 1/2 years in one of the original buildings with the original beams etc. Would love to see the whole site previous to Norwich Union take over and addition of new buildings (one of which i now work in)

Thanks

Dan

My ancestors used to have a cutlery manufacturers on Broad lane. Would like to see an early picture if poss.

Also Radford Street and Upper Hanover Street

Since my previous request was 99.99% impossible (and I had my fingers crossed at the time) I'm posting another request <_<

I'd like a picture of the little house at Owlerton, next door to the Barrack Tavern, or New Barrack, can't remember a bit along from the Barracks on the bottom road, going towards Town. I don't have my A-Z here at the moment, 140 miles drive is a bit much, find the pub, the house is next door.

Much appreciated.

Came across this request you made years ago Richard.

Is this what you mean?

It now belongs to the pub. Downstairs is just storage, accessed from the rear yard, and the upstairs has been knocked through to make an office.

Came across this request you made years ago Richard.

Is this what you mean?

It now belongs to the pub. Downstairs is just storage, accessed from the rear yard, and the upstairs has been knocked through to make an office.

Well found, Thank you - it's all painted over now.

Well found, Thank you - it's all painted over now.

Did you know there was once a sandwich shop, in a horrible extension on the front.

That's gone now fortunately. I'm sure I've seen a photo somewhere.