If there was one picture you could find....

Sheffield History

If you had the opportunity to find one picture of Sheffield's past what would it be ?

You are allowed one choice, and it must be located in Sheffield

e.g. The Hole In The Road Fishtank

Post what you would choose and let's see if we can hunt them down for you !

(mine would be a picture of The Fiesta inside whilst it was full of people enjoying themselves !)

Guest lesvegas

Easy

A full picture set of redgates in around 1986, i think id start crying if i saw them

I think mine would be the cafe in Woolworths. The one upstairs at the Haymarket location. Had many a plate of chips and beans there as a young un.

I'm making mine a really difficult one, be warned

I'd like to see a picture of the Town Hall that used to stand near the Cathedral, I know it was demolished before photographs, any kind of representation engraving, wood-cut owt.

This is one of four town halls I am aware of, can you locate all four ? (two are easy, still standing, the third is the one mentioned here, now about the fourth one)

Crikey some tough challenges there but definitely one I'll accept !

Good choices too..

Watch this space..

Since my previous request was 99.99% impossible (and I had my fingers crossed at the time) I'm posting another request <_<

I'd like a picture of the little house at Owlerton, next door to the Barrack Tavern, or New Barrack, can't remember a bit along from the Barracks on the bottom road, going towards Town. I don't have my A-Z here at the moment, 140 miles drive is a bit much, find the pub, the house is next door.

Much appreciated.

Not a problem

I think I know where you mean - is it on the right as you look at it ?

Guest tsavo

Are you deliberately keeping RichardB waiting for the answer to his first challenge, or are you going for the big finish?

I'd like to see a picture of the Town Hall that used to stand near the Cathedral, I know it was demolished before photographs, any kind of reprsentation engraving, wood-cut owt.

This is one of four town halls I am aware of, can you locate all four ? (two are easy, still standing, the third is the one mentioned here, now about the fourth one)

Town Hall No 1

The first "Sheffield Towne Halle" referred to in "Survey of the Manor of Sheffield 1637" was said to have had eleven shops beneath it. Tenants included a "William Skirgell" believed to have been a carpenter. The "Widdow Eyre" and "Widdow Elmore"

The whereabouts of this building was not recorded, however a book written by R.E. Leader contained a passage that stated "No 10 Pinfold Street was thought to be the first Town Hall. Apparently it had chains attached to the walls which were said to have been used to detain prisoners.

Town Hall No 2 ..... 1700 - 1808

This Town Hall was built in 1700 and was a small brick building erected at the south east corner of the churchyard. It was facing High Street and there were steps leading up to the door where parliamentary candidates made their speeches during the elections. Beneath the hall were three dark damp dismal dirty prison cells. The hall was used for dances, plays and meetings during its lifetime. It was demolished in 1808.

Link to http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s00018

Town Hall No 3 ..... 1808 - 1897

Town Hall No 3 was rebuilt a short ? mile away and had its foundation stone laid June23rd 1808. The architect was Charles Watson. The building was enlarged in 1833 and again in 1867 and was used as a prison with prison offices for Petty and Quarter Sessions and for town meetings. The Town Trustees originally owned the building but the lease was taken over by Sheffield Council in 1866. In 1867 the hall was enlarged and re-modelled internally. A clock tower was added the materials of which came from the parts of the building which had been demolished. A drinking fountain had been built into the wall in 1857 facing Castle Street (the first of its kind in Sheffield). An underground tunnel or passage was built which connected the town hall to the newly constructed police offices in Castle Green. Although re-routed slightly here and there, this passage was still in use up to a few years ago and may well still be today.

Town Hall No 4 ..... 1897 - present day

The present town hall was built in 1897 after a number of premises were cleared at the Surrey Street, Norfolk Row and Pinstone Street area. The tower is 193 ft high. Set on top of the tower is the figure of Vulcan raising aloft his newly forged arrows as a symbol of the staple trades. The new part of the building was opened on May 29th 1923 which was designed by F.E.P. Edwards using the same materials as those used on the original 1897 building.

(tsavo and mick did the work on this one)

Guest tsavo

Link to http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s18710

I'd like to see a picture of the Town Hall that used to stand near the Cathedral, I know it was demolished before photographs, any kind of reprsentation engraving, wood-cut owt.

Well Richard, We haven't managed to find a certified woodcut of the original Town Hall, but we did find this engraving of Pinfold Street in 1850. The question is, could the original building have survived until then? Could it be one of these buildings?

Whatever the answer, it makes you wonder why was this scene important enough to record? Perhaps we'll never know, but we will keep on looking for your picture challenge. (Don't hold your breath though!)

Excellent work, I know about Pinfold, but great work in finding this info - I don't believe a picture exists so I'm breathing normally again :rolleyes:

It's my birthday tomorrow. so, by the Ancient Laws of Hallamshire Fat-Balding-Blokies, which I just created, I'm allowed another go.

Because it's me, it's a stinker ...... bottom of Snig Hill there used to be a pub The Pack Horse Inn", people used to box there for money, what chance of a picture of where they used to box ?

I already have an engraving of the place, put could a photo exist ?

Well the birthday fairy has been, dumped, and bogged off, guess what she left - a bunch of Sheffield history books and Hunter Hallamshire (1819) on CD, she also left some more requests on this link !!!! (You'd think at 45 I might have grown up, but Noooooooo !!)

Anyway, pictures of the outside and hopefully inside of "The Raven" pub, just off West Street, before it turned into a nightmare ship; the name of the barmaid who served there would be nice too, she was probably in her Sixties in the 1970's and had multiple missing fingers (Honest, I'm not making this up)

How about a decent picture of Blake Street, up it, down it, and from a side street, showing the angle of descent. I take it the wall at the bottom is still as new looking as always, seemed to get rebuilt about every month when I was a kid. Ooooh, and a picture of Number 17 Blake Street, and Number 8 Victoria Villas, and 161 Springvale Road (ancestors homes) and .... and .... and .... Shuttup you buffon Richard :lol:

I already have the picture of the "outside facilities" at Victoria Villas

and ... and ... and ... whatever the Church was that was halfway down Albert Terrace Road, no doubt knocked down to make room for The Kelvin, yes, yes I know I could just go to picturesheffield and get the thing myself, but, that doesn't generate any interest here does it ?

Hahahaha, next time, go beyond the black car and stand in the middle of the Road, look at Ebenezer Elliott's home (thats whats at the bottom) and click away, try not to get knocked over.

Thanks for the exceptionally quick response, microseconds, now that's service :rolleyes:

We do try !

(it was only that quick because I had a pic ready and knew where to find it)

he he

The Hornblower indeed <spit>< I used to love visiting The Raven, like sitting in a Sports Pavilion, whilst getting pi...., erm "happy"; any idea what year the Raven disappeared and this nightmare arrived ? 1980 ?