If there was one picture you could find....

Sheffield History

OK so there was a last post at 2.43 today but where is it? This happens a lot now , it is not easy reading anymore.

It's still there, sounds like you're having problems :(

If you intend visiting the museum especially to see the engine running, I would give them a ring first ........ I'm almost sure the engine is only run twice a day now, not every hour as it used to be.

In the meantime heres the engine in all its glory ....... only ticking over though!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-qtA1Pe3pxU

Just an update on the engine, I understand that it is now silent as the boiler has failed it's tests. Lets hope it will be in running order as soon as possible.

If you had the opportunity to find one picture of Sheffield's past what would it be ?

Just read a wonderful piece called "In search of the River Don Engine" (see post 103 by Dunsbyowl in this topic). It says, quote <<The River Don Engine stood dead opposite the end of Adsetts Street, which we call Petre Street today >> I found the location on an old map of Sheffield. I realised I used to ride past it every morning on my way to work not realising that this was hallowed ground, the engine would still have been working at that time in the late 1960's!! It was decommissioned in 1978. The article (written in May 2005) also said quote << The doorway that lead to the Engines lair at the River Don Works is crumbling and overgrown >>

My question is - Is it still crumbling and overgrown? If so, thats the picture I would like to see. Please say it is.

Does anyone else have their ideal all time must have must see photo from the past?

11 hours ago, boginspro said:

Inside of the Adelphi pub, Arundel Street, best pub in Sheffield and a regular call for me.

Good call boginspro! That would bring back some fond memories of my time attending night school classes at the old College of Technology on Tudor Way (previously Arundel Street) The plumbing workshop didn't have anywhere to mash, the tutor would allow us out two at a time to take our 10 minute break at the Adelphi, remember Elvis always playing on the jukebox, we'd make jokes about it, Elvis being so uncool to teenagers in 64.

Adelphi Hotel.jpg

Tudor Way.jpg

• Like 1

I'd love to see a photographs of court 4 Thomas Street, all of the existing ones appear to have been taken further down towards Moorfoot

Everything is about people with me, buildings are just bricks and mortar, put someone in one that interests me, is known to me, is liked by me, is loved by me and it’s a completely different matter. There are many buildings in Sheffield that I have a connection with, however at my age most of the people who would share the connection are no longer with us, a photo of the building with them in it (that being the photo not necessarily the building) brings it to life. 

I'd love to see photos of the two downstairs rooms of The Sidewalk on Chapel Walk.

I vividly remember one was all purple velvet and had walls covered with big 'stone' egyptian panels (probably polystyrene, but it seemed magical to small me), and the other had a long bar with high stools and a proper Italian coffee machine. I think the fancy coffee was what drew my parents to it, for me I thought egg and cress sarnies on brown bread and a strawberry milkshake were the height of sophistcation before a trip to Redgates!

An impossible one, but I'd love to see a photo of the downstairs room to the left of the front door in the house I was born in.  We left it just before my 3rd birthday and I have this hazy memory of boxes piled high before the move, but can't recall any other details.

As mentioned on another thread I've been searching for years for photos of Toyland on Crookes @1974;Ranmoor shops from the same period ;Barber Road shops @1980 & Gatefield WMC @ 1980.

I would love to see a photo of The Royal Oak on Savile Street East - anyone know of any - was at the side of ibbotsons sweet shop

I think I've mentioned this before but I have difficulty remembering things I did an hour ago.

Under a previous landlord, there used to hang a very interesting picture (oil or could have been watercolour) in the main bar of the Cobden View Pub, Crookes.

It depicted a scene showing a row of terraced houses, facing the viewer, and running down a slope towards the River Sheaf. The view-point would be from the bridge at the bottom of Myrtle Road with Prospect Road running up the hill to the left hand side. The bottom house looked as if it was about to fall into the river / railway lines. Spaffords works was across to the right.

The painting was in a very evocative dismal style and appealed to me as it represented so much of Sheffield in the past.

It must have been by a local artist but what happened to it remains a mystery.

Any ideas anyone.

hilldweller, still here just ! 😀

A photo of my paternal Grandfather, Albert.!   A steel moulder by trade and a bit of a boozer by reputation. He died in 1941 two years before any of his surviving grandchildren were born and none of us have ever found a photograph.🧐

On 25/01/2022 at 14:57, hilldweller said:

I think I've mentioned this before but I have difficulty remembering things I did an hour ago.

Under a previous landlord, there used to hang a very interesting picture (oil or could have been watercolour) in the main bar of the Cobden View Pub, Crookes.

It depicted a scene showing a row of terraced houses, facing the viewer, and running down a slope towards the River Sheaf. The view-point would be from the bridge at the bottom of Myrtle Road with Prospect Road running up the hill to the left hand side. The bottom house looked as if it was about to fall into the river / railway lines. Spaffords works was across to the right.

The painting was in a very evocative dismal style and appealed to me as it represented so much of Sheffield in the past.

It must have been by a local artist but what happened to it remains a mystery.

Any ideas anyone.

hilldweller, still here just ! 😀

I've just found a photo of the exact same terrace posted on Picture Sheffield, it ref S18192. Unfortunately not only can you not zoom it due to copyright issues but you can only view the tiny postage stamp view in the listing. It appently forms the lower part of a square called Prospect Square off Prospect road.

hilldweller

PS still still here (just)

9 hours ago, hilldweller said:

I've just found a photo of the exact same terrace posted on Picture Sheffield, it ref S18192. Unfortunately not only can you not zoom it due to copyright issues but you can only view the tiny postage stamp view in the listing. It appently forms the lower part of a square called Prospect Square off Prospect road.

hilldweller

PS still still here (just)

pros.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SteveHB said:

pros.jpg

Thanks for that SteveHB you must have a magic touch with Picture Sheffield. I wouldn't have fancied living in number 14, it would certainly follow number 16 (boarded up} into the river at some point. I'll bet the people who lived in that row didn't slam their front doors

• Like 1

Warburton Square, its a struggle to find a map with it on, let alone a photograph. My family were there turn of the century. 

Screenshot_20220810-134200_Family Tree.jpg