If there was one picture you could find....

Sheffield History

Tweaked it a bit. Any better?

This looks as though it was scanned on the colour setting. Removed colour info. Hope original was B & W!

Muchly improved !

Guest plumbum

Is it too late to respond to this thread? It's a selfish request....

When I was a little 'un (late fifties/early sixties) I took part, with my twin, in a number of amateur productions. Being a cute pair, we often appeared in the press photos. I have no copies now and I'd love to see some photos again.

All I know is that it was "the social centre" that we were involved in, in Darnall, and these productions happened entirely (so far as I can remember) at Whitby Road School. I am sorry I don't know the actual title of the group.

I remember being a little Dutch girl, with yellow woollen plaits, a hula girl in a grass skirt, a little pierrot etc. If it rings a bell with anybody, and they can dig out a photograph, I would be thrilled. If names are attributed to cast photographs - ones to look out for would be Elizabeth Hill, Sheila Hill, Marie Hunt. Other names escape me. I was very young then, and now I am very old and the brain cannot cope :-)

Thanks

Guest sheffbusman

A bit of a challenge for you? I'm after a picture of the old foundry at the end of smith street in Chapeltown, my neighbour worked there for years, but recently passed away, I would love to see a picture of the place he told me so much about??? There is a gate post still standing at the end of Smith street that was part of the foundry gates!!

I would like to see a picture of the old houses on Minto Road, Hillsborough where my paternal grand parents lived and my father was born...

I drove up Minto road, maybe 15 years ago hoping to see some renovated Victorian 2up/2downs, but they have all gone, being replaced with tiny modern boxes :( At least they probably have hot and cold running water!, probably don't have cellars though.

I can list 87 people that lived on Minto Road ... if it's of any interest ... or better still, I can point you to where you can list them (Free resource), can't say better without a refund !

Guest Houseman

OK here is a somewhat easier request than my last one.

Does anyone have a photo of the (octagonal or was it round) newspaper kiosk near the pedestrian crossing in Pond Street bus station?

Anybody out there got any photos of Clarence st.

I would like to see a picture of the old houses on Minto Road, Hillsborough where my paternal grand parents lived and my father was born...

I drove up Minto road, maybe 15 years ago hoping to see some renovated Victorian 2up/2downs, but they have all gone, being replaced with tiny modern boxes :( At least they probably have hot and cold running water!, probably don't have cellars though.

You can still see part of the houses that stood on Minto Road, some of the bricks were used to make the little mesters workshops at Kelham Island Museum.

Guest porthcolmon

Hi, I'd love a picture of the last tram to Walkley with the driver visible, because my grandad drove it!

Guest c00lh4nd

Though I am with RichardB a picture of High Hazel particularly the boating lake with the hand paddled boats, the picture I would most love to see would be a shot up/down or a 1970's aerial shot of Kirby Rd in Darnal. Fond memories of a now Sadly demolished place..... :(

Guest horizon

I haven’t been to Sheffield in 30 years and it seems that both houses where I grow up have now gone.

I was born at number 13 Chippinghouse road but I can only find photos of the top of the road (Posh end).

Our house was just off Heeley bottom about the second house and next door to a chip shop called Harpers (I think)

I’ve been in Cyprus for years but can’t forget my roots and I would love to obtain some old photos and have them framed.

Carol

I haven’t been to Sheffield in 30 years and it seems that both houses where I grow up have now gone.

I was born at number 13 Chippinghouse road but I can only find photos of the top of the road (Posh end).

Our house was just off Heeley bottom about the second house and next door to a chip shop called Harpers (I think)

I’ve been in Cyprus for years but can’t forget my roots and I would love to obtain some old photos and have them framed.

Carol

Horizon, This is how good some of us are on this site.Been out tonight and taken these photos.The car lot is where your house was.For further photos of pubs in the area visit the gallery.Also a photo of one of the old cinemas that Tsavo might be interested in.[attachm

ent=5160:4.jpg]

Guest tsavo

Thank you for taking the trouble to take these shots, PC, which I assume are taken around Heeley Bottom. Is the Langtons building in attachment no 5, the old Coliseum Cinema building? It's the only one that appears to have extra roof ventilation.

L.

Guest horizon

Thank you so much, youre a star.

I cant believe that both houses I lived in when I was very young are now car lots.

(How dare they)

Carol

Thank you for taking the trouble to take these shots, PC, which I assume are taken around Heeley Bottom. Is the Langtons building in attachment no 5, the old Coliseum Cinema building? It's the only one that appears to have extra roof ventilation.

L.

Sure is.

Guest horizon

Just had to come on again with an even bigger thank you POPPYCHRISTINA

In picture number 1 the road is Gifford Road and I can see St Stevens, it’s just a door into a building.

I used to go here every Sunday to church, it was packed and every Tuesday to the youth club.

It seemed enormous inside but that was obviously because I was small.

In May we always had a May Queen.

We used to put on shows and visit places like hospitals in the area but I’m talking about 1954 ish when I was 6 so some things aren’t that clear in my head.

Opposite St Stevens lived my friend Ann Hockin her dad always had a big removal van parked on the road.

The next Road up on the picture, I don’t know the name but I can see what used to be a shop called Dabs.

Things are really coming back now.

13 Chippinghouse road used to share a big yard at the back with the shops on London Road, one of the shops was called Westerns and Mr Western used to come to our house every Saturday and watch horse racing on the TV with my granddad.

The toilet was outside at the very far end of the yard. (I think we had to plan well in advance)

Once again thanks…Carol