Then and Now

Guest transit

Guest transit

.....as a long standing , and early member of this brilliant , addictive site! ,(and contributer! ) may i sugest that the more and more popular "then and now" pics , which, if not on a thread of particular area,could be missed, should have its own subtitle on the main index? All it has to say is "SHEFFIELD -THEN & NOW" on the main front index page . What do other members think ?

Guest carlie167

.....as a long standing , and early member of this brilliant , addictive site! ,(and contributer! ) may i sugest that the more and more popular "then and now" pics , which, if not on a thread of particular area,could be missed, should have its own subtitle on the main index? All it has to say is "SHEFFIELD -THEN & NOW" on the main front index page . What do other members think ?

Brilliant idea, :) its the first thread I look for when browsing the forum.

I agree.

YES, I agree. Then each image can have its own thread and title making them easier to find.

I agree with that idea aswell - great stuff!

Thanks for all the support.

I have already expressed my own view on this in the then and now thread as transit had put a similar request there. Posted it before I saw this thread in site suggestions.

Without repeating it here I am in favour but have a few extra suggestions to make about the way in which it should be presented.

However, as everybody who responds positively here is obviously a fan of the then and now thread and visits it regularly I'll let you read my comments there on your next visit (post #201).

Thanks for all the support.

I have already expressed my own view on this in the then and now thread as transit had put a similar request there. Posted it before I saw this thread in site suggestions.

Without repeating it here I am in favour but have a few extra suggestions to make about the way in which it should be presented.

However, as everybody who responds positively here is obviously a fan of the then and now thread and visits it regularly I'll let you read my comments there on your next visit (post #201).

I have just counted up, there are currently 52 seperate Then & Now type photos in the Then & Now topic and 200 posts, Yes these should be together in 1 easy to see group, but we should not move away from what this Forum is all about, "Discussion".

I think we need 2 topics the existing discussion topic and one similar to the Maps with just the Then & Nows.

This is a bit like the "Mystery Location" topics, they are a catalyst to get people discussing and posting, and also looking a places whilst they are walking about out city.

Not really used the gallery much at all yet SteveHB

Only had a quick look at some boozer pictures (public houses) put on by Poppychristina so not really familiar with this section of the site.

I have added a folder 'Then and Now' in the 'Gallery'easy to access from main intro page.

Edit 2220 hrs,

some image's added to Album in 'Gallery'

I have just counted up, there are currently 52 seperate Then & Now type photos in the Then & Now topic and 200 posts, Yes these should be together in 1 easy to see group, but we should not move away from what this Forum is all about, "Discussion".

I think we need 2 topics the existing discussion topic and one similar to the Maps with just the Then & Nows.

This is a bit like the "Mystery Location" topics, they are a catalyst to get people discussing and posting, and also looking a places whilst they are walking about out city.

I did say that the current then and now is like a members working area to bring the pictures together in Stuart, and I forsee that it will remain that, an area where pictures are initially posted and can be discussed by members in any way they wish to any length or depth. This will be the discussion area, but as such I do not feel it needs its own section on the home page.

However those (currently) 52 then and now pictures could be presented in its own section "Then & Now Showcase" (just a suggestion for the title) which presents these images only in a slightly more professional appearance, without the discussion, in a similar way to the maps. I like this idea because, at the risk of repeating myself, the photos, like the maps, are one of the sites strengths.

A short message at the beginning of the showcase (or even the maps) saying something on the lines of " These images / maps are unique to this site and can be viewed for FREE by signing up as a member of Sheffield History which is also FREE" may encourage a few more people, bearing in mind the site always seems to have more guests than members online at any point in time, to sign up with us just to see the images / maps. Who knows, some of them may then even start posting themselves?

I did say that the current then and now is like a members working area to bring the pictures together in Stuart, and I forsee that it will remain that, an area where pictures are initially posted and can be discussed by members in any way they wish to any length or depth. This will be the discussion area, but as such I do not feel it needs its own section on the home page.

However those (currently) 52 then and now pictures could be presented in its own section "Then & Now Showcase" (just a suggestion for the title) which presents these images only in a slightly more professional appearance, without the discussion, in a similar way to the maps. I like this idea because, at the risk of repeating myself, the photos, like the maps, are one of the sites strengths.

The "Then & Now Showcase" is now up and running and can be found pinned in Sheffield Places - Their History section

The original "Then & Now" thread will continue for initial postings and for discussion and comments on the postings. This can be found in the same place.

Enjoy the Showcase and have a nice Christmas and New Year.