Norton Aerodrome

Lysanderix

It was owned by the NHS with the intention of building Sheffield's third hospital. It is, I understand, a part of our Green Belt so there will be onerous restrictions on any development"!

Lysanderix

DJC...Every man to his own beliefs....or lack thereof!

DaveJC
56 minutes ago, Lysanderix said:

It was owned by the NHS with the intention of building Sheffield's third hospital. It is, I understand, a part of our Green Belt so there will be onerous restrictions on any development"!

I think that you will find that the Green Belt part encroached into North East Derbyshire in those days, it is now in Sheffield 100%.

LeadFarmer
On 30/04/2021 at 09:33, Lysanderix said:

The site is a disgrace and, surely, housing would be an improvement! ☺️

Whilst it may look a disgrace to you, its a wonderful haven for wildlife, and its a nice place to walk through with the dog. The long building that was up against the fence to the main dual carriageway used to have birds nests in the roof, maybe even. owls nest, and there are/were all sorts of birds to see.

It was also an interesting historical place to walk through. I used to like searching for the large metal rings anchored into the ground where I assume the balloons were tethered to, and some of the floor tiles of some buildings were still in place if you knew where to look. It was also my playground as a kid, so maybe I'm sentimental.

In addition, I once lifted a corrugated metal sheet and found snakes warming up underneath in the sun.

• Like 1
DaveJC
On 30/04/2021 at 16:15, Lysanderix said:

DJC...Every man to his own beliefs....or lack thereof!

Not believing in something that someone else believes in is not a lack of belief, it’s just a disagreement with them, neither of us can prove anything, best get used to it.

Lysanderix

At my age I  have had to get used to many things...aches and pains being not the least of them.😊

DaveJC

I suffer from advanced Rheumatoid Arthritis, however it doesn’t make me a negative person, I can still manage a good dog walk every morning, and to sort out my garden with the assistance of my son, relative to heavy power tools and ladder work. When I think about age, a lot of folk from my old crowd would have loved to live long enough to have my current ‘problems‘, such is life.

Lysanderix

I have a litany of chronic medical conditions and, as a result, an equally long list of prescription drugs I take... but, like you, I live a full, useful and  positive, life ... I agree with you about all the old pals who are no longer with us....many would find the prospect of our two local football teams being relegated in same season utterly unbelievable!

Now can we get back to chatting about ,,,history?🙂

DaveJC
48 minutes ago, Lysanderix said:

I have a litany of chronic medical conditions and, as a result, an equally long list of prescription drugs I take... but, like you, I live a full, useful and  positive, life ... I agree with you about all the old pals who are no longer with us....many would find the prospect of our two local football teams being relegated in same season utterly unbelievable!

Now can we get back to chatting about ,,,history?🙂

We are history my friend, best get used to it.

Come on you OWLS.

Hello, I cannot find it mentioned in posts but I remember that during the 60`s ( that`s 1960`s ) at least one the buildings which have recently been demolished

near to the parkway roundabout used to be used by the Sheffield Fire Brigade as a store.

I remember being kitted out there in 1966. The standard then being, if it touched most of your body It Fitted.

The trousers that we were issued with were made of what we called Bulls Wool, They stood up on their own when you were not wearing them. Happy Days