Norton Aerodrome

DaveH

I'll save you a search Dave, it's Here

Best details by 'Wheaty' about 2/3 way down the first page.

Thanks for the link Bayleaf. I always find it harder to find the posts on Sheffield Forum than I do on Sheffield History, and our own search facility isn't that brilliant is it?

Exactly the crash I was refering to and plenty of good info in the SF posts about it.

This time we have to hand it to the Forum people for getting this particular story fully covered with all the details.

... I always find it harder to find the posts on Sheffield Forum than I do on Sheffield History, and our own search facility isn't that brilliant is it? ...

This time we have to hand it to the Forum people for getting this particular story fully covered with all the details.

That's why I'm here - because I couldn't find anything on SF-History, a great deal of good stuff, I just couldn't find it ...

That's why I'm here - because I couldn't find anything on SF-History, a great deal of good stuff, I just couldn't find it ...

In that case, when we do find something good on SF - History that fits in well or "doubles up" on what we are doing why don't we just link it in to our own site like Bayleaf has done in the previous post here?

It saves us doing loads of stuff on "reinventing the wheel" and links to the info we want where we want.

I'm sure SF won't mind us doing this and of course we have no objection to SF having a reciprocal arrangement and linking our posts into their forum (slightly to our advantage that, as any SF member following a link to our site would need to become a member if it was the pictures or maps they were after ;-) )

It also saves the problem of having to search twice in 2 different sites.

As a schoolboy I attended two RAF At Home Days at Norton . The first time was in around 1958 when a school-pal and I travelled across the city by bus much to our parents later displeasure. At that time the Gate Guardian was a Spitfire if my memory is correct (it often isn't). Around 1962/3 my step-cousin and I walked from his home at Stradbrook, this time the aircraft was a Vampire jet. At this time the place was being used for Radar equipment repairs. We were very impressed by the snarling Alsation dogs at the guard-house but less so by the repair workshops. I was very interested in electronics (I went on to make it my career) and the test equipment they were using was very antiquated and battered. All the equipment was connected to the mains supply by inserting the bare wires into the round-pin sockets and jamming them in with matchsticks. We were told that mains plugs were un-obtainable within the RAF. Defence cuts aren't a new development ! The second time we went a serviceman told us the place was being shut down because the new tower-blocks built across the road were preventing them from testing the radars at full power. Apparently the top-brass were fearful of microwaving the inhabitants ! The open days took place at the same time as Finningley Airshow 'so the aircraft from this overflew Norton en-route. I'm sure many Sheffielders have an ashtray flypressed out of a aluminium sheet as a momento of their visit.

As a schoolboy I attended two RAF At Home Days at Norton . The first time was in around 1958 when a school-pal and I travelled across the city by bus much to our parents later displeasure. At that time the Gate Guardian was a Spitfire if my memory is correct (it often isn't). Around 1962/3 my step-cousin and I walked from his home at Stradbrook, this time the aircraft was a Vampire jet. At this time the place was being used for Radar equipment repairs. We were very impressed by the snarling Alsation dogs at the guard-house but less so by the repair workshops. I was very interested in electronics (I went on to make it my career) and the test equipment they were using was very antiquated and battered. All the equipment was connected to the mains supply by inserting the bare wires into the round-pin sockets and jamming them in with matchsticks. We were told that mains plugs were un-obtainable within the RAF. Defence cuts aren't a new development ! The second time we went a serviceman told us the place was being shut down because the new tower-blocks built across the road were preventing them from testing the radars at full power. Apparently the top-brass were fearful of microwaving the inhabitants ! The open days took place at the same time as Finningley Airshow 'so the aircraft from this overflew Norton en-route. I'm sure many Sheffielders have an ashtray flypressed out of a aluminium sheet as a momento of their visit.

Hi hilldweller,

There is a fair bit about Norton aerodrome in this thread (linked0 if you haven't seen it already.

Norton Aerodrome

Hi hilldweller,

There is a fair bit about Norton aerodrome in this thread (linked0 if you haven't seen it already.

Norton Aerodrome

Sorry DaveH.

I meant to insert the post in the other thread but as you can see I haven't found my way around the forum yet.

Possibly was a meteor, certainly a military aircraft of that era. As far as I know the crash was in the valley between what is now Silkstone Road and the top end of the Hackenthorpe estate. This would place it from Frechville between the petrol station and Occupation Lane on the Occupation Lane side of Birley Moor Road.

Sounds like the same crash Tsavo.

This is the site of the meteor aircraft crash in the mid 1950's as it is today. Birley Moor Road just visible at top of the picture.

Guest wayneybabes

will try and get some more photos from the disc but the rest of the disk contains .pct files and cannot convert them!!

will try and get some more photos from the disc but the rest of the disk contains .pct files and cannot convert them!!

Don't know if you know this or not 'wayneybabes' but

Apple QuickTime Player

Adobe Photoshop CS4

Adobe Photoshop Elements 8

Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2

ACDSee Photo Manager 2009

Are supposed to open pct files in windows.

I've got Paint Shop Pro if it's any help.

Don't know if you know this or not 'wayneybabes' but

Apple QuickTime Player

Adobe Photoshop CS4

Adobe Photoshop Elements 8

Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2

ACDSee Photo Manager 2009

Are supposed to open pct files in windows.

I've got Paint Shop Pro if it's any help.

What software produced the .pct files in the first place?

Is it a custom format unique to a particular software manufacturer?

Would be good to see the picture though.

What software produced the .pct files in the first place?

Is it a custom format unique to a particular software manufacturer?

Would be good to see the picture though.

.PCT files are from Apple Macs, as vox says most major photo software should open these

Guest wayneybabes

.PCT files are from Apple Macs, as vox says most major photo software should open these

thanks everyone!. i can open them but cannot convert them to jpeg to put them on here

thanks everyone!. i can open them but cannot convert them to jpeg to put them on here

If you open them in something like photoshop, you should be able to save as .jpeg

Have you still got my email, if so send them to me or pm me for email. I will have a go at converting them.

Guest wayneybabes

If you open them in something like photoshop, you should be able to save as .jpeg

Have you still got my email, if so send them to me or pm me for email. I will have a go at converting them.

email sent

Guest wayneybabes

cheers stuart for converting the below pictures

these photos were taken by a ghost hunter, hence the coloured rings on them

this one shows a supposed spook in the red circle and a noose in the blue

and this is also supposed to be a spook

cheers stuart for converting the below pictures

these photos were taken by a ghost hunter, hence the coloured rings on them

this one shows a supposed spook in the red circle and a noose in the blue

and this is also supposed to be a spook

Ghosts in Norton Aerodrome! :o

Who ya gonna call :unsure:

wayneybabes! lol

I ain't afraid of no ghosts :rolleyes:

Guest wayneybabes

Ghosts in Norton Aerodrome! :o

Who ya gonna call :unsure:

wayneybabes! lol

I ain't afraid of no ghosts :rolleyes:

Their not my photos!!. Suzys brother took them lol

Guest wayneybabes

Perfectly disguised as a concrete floor it seems. :)

Apparently there is a spook there so i have been told lol

Look closely. Its there somewhere

Apparently there is a spook there so i have been told lol

Look closely. Its there somewhere

If you can get the full story on this spook at the aerodrome there is a thread on the site somewhere about "ghosts and haunted places in Sheffield" where you could post the details.

From the Sheffield Hallam University SHIMMER site, an aeriel view of Norton Airfield taken from the top of one of the 3 Herdings tower blocks before their demolition / refurbishment in the mid 1990's

NOTE:

A link is provided as we have yet to find out what copyright / permissions are needed to use the SHIMMER images.

They have quite a lot of Sheffield pictures, many of which would go nicely in the "Those Gleadless Pictures" thread.

in this case it is actually better to provide a link to the pictures as the picture appears in its own viewer which allows it to be moved around and selectively zoomed in to examine individual details which is very handy in aeriel shots.

Had we just posted their picture it would not be possible to do this, however, embedding the picture may retain this facility if it is possible.

SHIMMER Aeriel View of Norton Aerodrome

Guest wayneybabes

From the Sheffield Hallam University SHIMMER site, an aeriel view of Norton Airfield taken from the top of one of the 3 Herdings tower blocks before their demolition / refurbishment in the mid 1990's

NOTE:

A link is provided as we have yet to find out what copyright / permissions are needed to use the SHIMMER images.

They have quite a lot of Sheffield pictures, many of which would go nicely in the "Those Gleadless Pictures" thread.

in this case it is actually better to provide a link to the pictures as the picture appears in its own viewer which allows it to be moved around and selectively zoomed in to examine individual details which is very handy in aeriel shots.

Had we just posted their picture it would not be possible to do this, however, embedding the picture may retain this facility if it is possible.

SHIMMER Aeriel View of Norton Aerodrome

great find Dave!!!!!!

just browsed thier collection, some great views over sheff from the top of the tower block.

BTW, 3rd or 4th floor up on flats to the left on the picture it looks like someones been greedy and built an extension to one of the flats lol