Norton Aerodrome

DaveH

It was owned by the NHS with the intention of building Sheffield's third hospital. It is, I understand, a part of our Green Belt so there will be onerous restrictions on any development"!

56 minutes ago, Lysanderix said:

It was owned by the NHS with the intention of building Sheffield's third hospital. It is, I understand, a part of our Green Belt so there will be onerous restrictions on any development"!

I think that you will find that the Green Belt part encroached into North East Derbyshire in those days, it is now in Sheffield 100%.

On 30/04/2021 at 09:33, Lysanderix said:

The site is a disgrace and, surely, housing would be an improvement! ☺️

Whilst it may look a disgrace to you, its a wonderful haven for wildlife, and its a nice place to walk through with the dog. The long building that was up against the fence to the main dual carriageway used to have birds nests in the roof, maybe even. owls nest, and there are/were all sorts of birds to see.

It was also an interesting historical place to walk through. I used to like searching for the large metal rings anchored into the ground where I assume the balloons were tethered to, and some of the floor tiles of some buildings were still in place if you knew where to look. It was also my playground as a kid, so maybe I'm sentimental.

In addition, I once lifted a corrugated metal sheet and found snakes warming up underneath in the sun.

• Like 2

On 30/04/2021 at 16:15, Lysanderix said:

DJC...Every man to his own beliefs....or lack thereof!

Not believing in something that someone else believes in is not a lack of belief, it’s just a disagreement with them, neither of us can prove anything, best get used to it.

At my age I  have had to get used to many things...aches and pains being not the least of them.😊

I suffer from advanced Rheumatoid Arthritis, however it doesn’t make me a negative person, I can still manage a good dog walk every morning, and to sort out my garden with the assistance of my son, relative to heavy power tools and ladder work. When I think about age, a lot of folk from my old crowd would have loved to live long enough to have my current ‘problems‘, such is life.

I have a litany of chronic medical conditions and, as a result, an equally long list of prescription drugs I take... but, like you, I live a full, useful and  positive, life ... I agree with you about all the old pals who are no longer with us....many would find the prospect of our two local football teams being relegated in same season utterly unbelievable!

Now can we get back to chatting about ,,,history?🙂

48 minutes ago, Lysanderix said:

I have a litany of chronic medical conditions and, as a result, an equally long list of prescription drugs I take... but, like you, I live a full, useful and  positive, life ... I agree with you about all the old pals who are no longer with us....many would find the prospect of our two local football teams being relegated in same season utterly unbelievable!

Now can we get back to chatting about ,,,history?🙂

We are history my friend, best get used to it.

Come on you OWLS.

Hello, I cannot find it mentioned in posts but I remember that during the 60`s ( that`s 1960`s ) at least one the buildings which have recently been demolished

near to the parkway roundabout used to be used by the Sheffield Fire Brigade as a store.

I remember being kitted out there in 1966. The standard then being, if it touched most of your body It Fitted.

The trousers that we were issued with were made of what we called Bulls Wool, They stood up on their own when you were not wearing them. Happy Days

On 10/05/2021 at 16:44, ajsimp said:

Hello, I cannot find it mentioned in posts but I remember that during the 60`s ( that`s 1960`s ) at least one the buildings which have recently been demolished

near to the parkway roundabout used to be used by the Sheffield Fire Brigade as a store.

I remember being kitted out there in 1966. The standard then being, if it touched most of your body It Fitted.

The trousers that we were issued with were made of what we called Bulls Wool, They stood up on their own when you were not wearing them. Happy Days

Hi, If the building that you are on about is on Norton Ln it was built about 1939 as a AFS/NFS Fire Station for the war and was in operation as Sheffield Fire Brigade station  No 3 till Low Edges Station was built

I think most important facts have been covered, but thought that I would put my two pennyworh in as well.

The Sheffield Aerodrome and R A F Norton.

Years ago long before road alterations the road junction of Chesterfield road with Greenhill village,and  Norton lane was a simple traffic cross roads, probably without traffic lights if you go back into the 1920’s,but  as you crossed the junction and continued along the Chesterfield road for only a few hundred yards on the left was, if I recall, a solitary building which had the appearance of an aircraft hanger of the era, but in later years I always thought it rather small and in a strange place to have a hanger no matter how small the plane !.

this was back in e early 1930's, I was only a “toddler” but the land on that side of Chesterfield  road and the open fields  stretching back with Norton Lane running alongside was always referred to as the intended site of the Sheffield airport, I do recall going there once to see a demonstration parachute jump, but if someone did jump I did not see anything and I never knew if any flying took place there, but that is all I know about any airfield in the area..

R A F Norton was much further away past Norton and near to Gleadless Townend ( close to the junction with Lightwood lane.)  I have listed just some of it’s history which was given to me by a serving R A F officer who did a lot of research on the matter,  it did not have an airfield. The land was bought in 1939 and by mid year was officially Number 16 balloon unit but not an official R A F station but it continued as it was sharing the camp with other R A F  activities until 1952 when the site was made an official R A F Camp. !

In 1942 the balloon section was incorporated or shared the camp with a Motor Transport Storage depot that had been moved in, later  renovate  vehicles. The station had quite a chequered  history and some activities I believe are or were on the official secret list and are not in the public domain, when finally there was no further need for balloons it became a radio and radar servicing unit, finally closing in 1965.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, westmoors said:

I think most important facts have been covered, but thought that I would put my two pennyworh in as well.

The Sheffield Aerodrome and R A F Norton.

Years ago long before road alterations the road junction of Chesterfield road with Greenhill village,and  Norton lane was a simple traffic cross roads, probably without traffic lights if you go back into the 1920’s,but  as you crossed the junction and continued along the Chesterfield road for only a few hundred yards on the left was, if I recall, a solitary building which had the appearance of an aircraft hanger of the era, but in later years I always thought it rather small and in a strange place to have a hanger no matter how small the plane !.

this was back in e early 1930's, I was only a “toddler” but the land on that side of Chesterfield  road and the open fields  stretching back with Norton Lane running alongside was always referred to as the intended site of the Sheffield airport, I do recall going there once to see a demonstration parachute jump, but if someone did jump I did not see anything and I never knew if any flying took place there, but that is all I know about any airfield in the area..

R A F Norton was much further away past Norton and near to Gleadless Townend ( close to the junction with Lightwood lane.)  I have listed just some of it’s history which was given to me by a serving R A F officer who did a lot of research on the matter,  it did not have an airfield. The land was bought in 1939 and by mid year was officially Number 16 balloon unit but not an official R A F station but it continued as it was sharing the camp with other R A F  activities until 1952 when the site was made an official R A F Camp. !

In 1942 the balloon section was incorporated or shared the camp with a Motor Transport Storage depot that had been moved in, later  renovate  vehicles. The station had quite a chequered  history and some activities I believe are or were on the official secret list and are not in the public domain, when finally there was no further need for balloons it became a radio and radar servicing unit, finally closing in 1965.

https://www.ukeconet.org/nortonflyinglegacy.html

The above link may be of interest.

Please see the above link

On 15/08/2011 at 21:46, Guest tonywinfield said:

I have in my possession a program from the RAF Norton 1960 Open Day.The date of the Airshow is given as 17th September 1960. I attended them every year.There is a colour photograph of an early English Electric Lightning on the cover. We lived on Eastern Avenue near to the Manor Top.Every year a week or so before the airshow,aircraft of all kinds would turn up and circle for a short time before heading off obviously practicing locating RAF Norton.Going back to the 1960 programme,the commanding officer is given as 'Wing Commander J H I Stirling,Officer Commanding No 3 Ground Radio Servicing Squadron'. I remember the airshows clearly with fly by's by Meteors, Canberras, Vampires and the like.I also remember USAF participation with a memorable fly by of a KB50 tanker aircraft trailing a Voodoo and Super Sabre fighter aircraft from each wing tip.I also saw my first glimpse of the Valiant and Vulcan V bombers overflying the venue.What would the 'Health and Safety' brigade make of 70 ton bombers loaded with thousands of gallons of 'avgas' flying at under 500 feet over a built up area?. Man they've never lived.

The Vulcan flypast 

VulcanBomberRAFNortonairshow.jpg.bf6746a7914d77ee2627605dfbe13484.jpg

• Like 2

Yes, fantastic, unforgettable, experiences…at least for little lads….I’d a grandstand view from my home literally yards away and remember the place…‘gate guards’ and all though, for the benefit of anyone in more recent times, who’s ever, clumsily, driven their dads Fiesta around it’s  long -grass decorated grids,  it was a bit of a unintended ‘sham’. No take off or landing could or was intended to take place at Norton… as it was little more than an ordinary ‘army’ camp layout ‘footprint’…largely housing ground- based radio units which followed the RAF around by road and sea ( I believe a contingent crossed the Channel into to the North West European Campaign of WW2, probably in support of the Tactical Air Forces, in turn, supporting the Allied ground troops…harrying the enemy forces, back from whence they came). 
But with regard to public health and safety, we only need to look at archive film of such as the DH 110 crash at Farnborough Air Show in 1952 and it’s awful, devastating effects on spectators ….women, kids and men, who happened to be in the way of the stricken jet and its debris field. Terrifyingly similar to  the horrendous crash of the Mercedes racing car at Le Mans only a few years later, 1955, in an almost literal, swathe, killing and maiming nearly 300 spectators in the most sickening way. And again in much more recent times at Shoreham Air Show in 2015 leaving 11 dead and others hurt when a vintage military jet landed on traffic in a peripheral major road Whatever the interest, spectacle and enjoyment many of us would agree these events have provided and still do a far more protective approach just has to be taken by organisers and the authorities…and we cannot justifiably accuse them of ‘nanny state’ measures when the results are usually, hopefully to protect human bodies from the effects of  high speed burning fuel and medal reducing people to pulp. 
Notwithstanding the foregoing reservations, I’ve personally attended, indeed on occasion, participated in, many  similar events in my long years and enjoyed them all thoroughly but I’ve never lost sight of the ever present danger, whatever the counter measures….which we should be thankful, now exist and hopefully, are continuously reviewed and improved. 

On 12/07/2023 at 14:45, Alastair said:

The Vulcan flypast 

VulcanBomberRAFNortonairshow.jpg.bf6746a7914d77ee2627605dfbe13484.jpg

The photo of the Vulcan reminds me when it and the Valiant flew over the Manor Estate, right over me standing mouth agape on Harborough Avenue.

• Like 1

The Vulcan Bomber was a delta-winged wonder, which I was very lucky enough to have gone down the runway at RAF Waddington (late 1970s) in the co-pilot seat when I was working at RAF Waddington, an experience I've treasured since and will never be forgtton. There were 5 men sat in the front of the Vulcan. For me it was a sad day when they were retired. Interestingly XH558 (in the pic) pilot was Ft Lt Martin Withers he was the pilot of XM607 on the first sortie to bomb the runway at the Falkland Isles back in 1982.

vulcan bomber RAF Waddington.jpg

• Like 4

Don’t know about Vulcans but in the more conventionally shaped Victor..and possibly the earlier Valiants ONLY the two forward- facing seats for the pilots were of the ejection type ….the other three crew members who sat back to back to them had to make for the escape door in their  ‘chutes and jump out as ‘normal’….hopefully the captain had the decency to tell the chaps  behind that both pilots were  ‘ on their way out’!

Not my photo, just seen this posted on Facebook. A house on Bowman Drive or Close I think, next to Norton aerodrome. Must have been taken from across what is now the dual carriageway looking back over

image.thumb.png.7c4b23f2485fdd52c06c4a55fd89b3ce.png

2 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

Not my photo, just seen this posted on Facebook. A house on Bowman Drive or Close I think, next to Norton aerodrome. Must have been taken from across what is now the dual carriageway looking back over

image.thumb.png.7c4b23f2485fdd52c06c4a55fd89b3ce.png

Is that new building in the centre of the photo the rear of the Cutlers Arms ?

1 hour ago, paulhib48 said:

Is that new building in the centre of the photo the rear of the Cutlers Arms ?

Cutlers Arms public house (latterly the Cutlers Spice, Indian restaurant), No. 1 Leighton Road, Gleadless, junction of Norton Avenue. 15th August 1986.

s22029.jpg.db94e24d475ff72184cb3b191ddbc8aa.jpgs22029

Is this the Cutlers Arms referred to? 

8 hours ago, Ponytail said:

Cutlers Arms public house (latterly the Cutlers Spice, Indian restaurant), No. 1 Leighton Road, Gleadless, junction of Norton Avenue. 15th August 1986.

s22029.jpg.db94e24d475ff72184cb3b191ddbc8aa.jpgs22029

Is this the Cutlers Arms referred to? 

Yes and I’d say I it’s definitely the building in the photo