Christmas Illuminations

Stuart0742

Hope this is a better copy

Hi - I m a new member slowly getting my head around all the wonderful info and pics on this site. Just been looking at the fab photo, which again brings back some memories. I seem to remember a ladies clothes shop below the insurance building (to the left of the Christmas tree in the photo) :unsure::unsure: with a window either side and then one in the middle placed further back where you could walk all the way around - can anyone else remember or provide any more info? Thanks.

These were taken at the top of the Moor in 1966

Not quite a "then & now" but this looks like almost the same viewpoint from the corner of Pinstone Street down towards the Moor.

1966 and 1970

Definately the same time of year!!

I am guessing this is the same year.

Another great picture.

It never fails to amaze me how busy the centre of town used to be compared with how it is today.

Pre Meadowhall days plus Christmas shopping. Did you notice the sign pointing to Victoria station?

Christmas 1967 would probably be the last Christmas that Victoria station would be open.

Christmas 1967 would probably be the last Christmas that Victoria station would be open.

Dave, Sheffield Victoria closed 5/1/70. :)

Dave, Sheffield Victoria closed 5/1/70. :)

OK Stuart, not far out though. At a guess I thought it closed in summer of 1968. My dad used to park in Victoria station car park a lot around this time and by 1968 the place was pretty empty, - perehaps they just gradually ran it down?

Noticed this weekend, Sat. 30th October, that this years lights are already up on Fargate, - even before Halloween :blink:

They are exactly the same lights as last year, - those blue double bauble things. So its hardly worth adding to the previous pictures we already have.

See post #7 in this thread for last years picture.

Then again we have also got the "Sheffield Eye" big wheel in Fargate this year.

I like the fact that the lights used on the Moor in 1968

Were still in use in the Mid 70's, albeit now down Fargate

They do keep using the same old stuff but tend to shift it about a bit so that it doesn't look the same every year.

However this must be becoming more difficult to do as the modern lights are nowhere as extensive across the City Centre as they used to be.

At one time they went all the way from Moorfoot, up the Moor and Pinstone Street, down Fargate and High Street and down Haymarket and Waingate without a break and with many little offshoots and asides (Peace Gardens, Fitzallen square, etc).

These days the lights don't seem to go nearly as far.

Noticed this weekend, Sat. 30th October, that this years lights are already up on Fargate, - even before Halloween :blink:

They are exactly the same lights as last year, - those blue double bauble things. So its hardly worth adding to the previous pictures we already have.

See post #7 in this thread for last years picture.

Then again we have also got the "Sheffield Eye" big wheel in Fargate this year.

So on November 6th (day after bonfire night) Meadowhell have their Christmas lights officially switched on, - a full 7 weeks before Christmas :o

In the City centre lights are being put up here and there and are due for an official switch on on Sunday November 22nd.

That still seems early at over 4 weeks in advance but I think that it may be Advent Sunday which seems a traditional time for putting up / switching on festive decorations.

This one looks new this year, can't remember having seen it before.

It's down the Moor just outside Sainsburys where the works start that are being discussed in the "recent Developments" thread.

It probably marks the point where the lights on the Moor will end this year as beyond it are just the works.

Not quite a "then & now" but this looks like almost the same viewpoint from the corner of Pinstone Street down towards the Moor.

1966 and 1970

Definately the same time of year!!

Then and Now, almost 40 years apart (1970 and 2009)

Those crowns have been replaced with red baubles

Thanks Markbaby. They look better than I though they would. I just wish everyone would get away from using those cold blue lights though

A few piccies from this year's (2009)

The Moor

Fargate

Pinstone Street

Around the Town Hall

Great photo's Markbaby, strange Christmas tree on The Moor.

Looks like there is a good display this year and that its worth actually going to see them for the first time in years.

I reckon that there is a "spy" in the Town Hall who secretly visits this website as a guest, reads all our moans about the council and then reports back to the council and gets them to act on our complaints and moans :o

If this is true and not just another conspiracy theory then the question to be answered is,

who is the "mole"?

who is "the third man"?

:mellow:<_<:unsure: :huh:

I had already posted a picture of the strange Christmas tree down the Moor in post #39

But in case you missed it Stuart here are a couple more.

Got to admit though, I think it looks good, - even in the daylight

..and from Markbaby's photos it looks even better when its lit up after dark.

Got to hand it to the council on that one.

Just picked the best of the pictures on here mainly the older ones and got them running as a screen saver on my desktop. Very festive and great for the memories too.

Just picked the best of the pictures on here mainly the older ones and got them running as a screen saver on my desktop. Very festive and great for the memories too.

Last year it was the Sheffield History calendar (looks like there will be 2 of them this year)

This year it could be the Sheffield History ScreenSaver

Now there's an idea for a nice little Christmas present for our members.

A few piccies from this year's (2009)

The Moor

Fargate

Pinstone Street

Around the Town Hall

WOW What FAB pictures - well done you. :rolleyes:

That must be one of the best displays of Xmas lights ever in Sheffield - something to be proud of and sure to be a crowd pleaser - makes me feel very homesick!! :(