The Price Of Coal

Ken Loach film - filmed in Sheffield - starring Bobby Knutt

I need to find this on video or dvd

Does anyone know where I can get a copy from ?

Ken Loach film - filmed in Sheffield - starring Bobby Knutt

I need to find this on video or dvd

Does anyone know where I can get a copy from ?

I tried a couple of years ago with no luck at all. What a great piece of TV they were though. The first on was non stop laughter as the pit and the miners prepare for Prince Charles visit. This was followed the week after with the same cast and location facing the terror and heartbreak of a mine disaster. Powerful stuff.

If you succeed in finding a copy please let me know.

Dougie Brown and Stan Richards also starred.

Sorted - managed to track it down

Hopefully will have a copy in a few days

Will send you one over Mick

Sorted - managed to track it down

Hopefully will have a copy in a few days

Will send you one over Mick

You are da man Neil :D

I fell lucky but found 2 chaps who collect that kind of stuff and were happy to send me a copy over.

Just got the Price Of Coal on dvd..

Will be doing a feature on this on the site over the next few weeks..

It starred Bobby Knutt, Stan Richards (seth armstrong off Emmerdale !) and Duggie Brown

If anyone know anything about this film let us know by posting a reply..

Some orf this film was shot at the now demolished pit at Thorpe Hesley, Rotherham. For some reason I think that when I passed the pit, the winding gear was painted white.

Two of the funniest moments that stick in my mind:

When they were putting fresh paint on the buildings and the Window chord was broken and had a brick holding it open, so they paited the brick.

The other was the men walking home in the rain from the club under a "borrowed" beer umbrella. A woman comes up to them and says "Can I come under there as I've just been to Hairdressers" Bobby Knutt replies "Were they shut". Pricless stuff.

I remember it being on when I was a lad.......really sad in the end.

I'd love to see it again. Can't beat a bit of Ken Loach

Hello Admin. Don't know if I'm doing this right...I'm new to all this chatroom stuff!.

Anyway, to get on with my story; I went up to Birdwell/Hoyland Common near Barnsley last night to see my cousins and uncle, and we got talking about where they had filmed Kes, when my uncle says that he had been in a film..."the price of coal",with Bobby Nut and Stan Richards, a Barry Hines thing he said. He was a miner at Elsecar Pit at the time, and was in a bit of the film where they'd all come out of a club (somewhere in Hoyland or Elsecar I suppose) and it was raining. He was in it for about 2 seconds and got paid £12.

Is there any chance I could somehow get a copy for him, they didn't have video's and stuff in those days!

Yours. Don

Guest tsavo

Hi Don, welcome to Sheffield History.

Pretty sure that The Price of Coal is still available, at least on DVD. A quick 'Google? should set you up.

If your Uncle got £12 for 2 seconds, think what the stars got!

PS. Just checked Amazon and they ain't got it. You may be unlucky, but other members may be able to help.

:rolleyes: I would dearly love to get a copy of this drama for sentimental reasons my late father in law had a small speaking part in the first part the visit and was an extra in the disaster episode.He was recruited from chapeltown club when the production crew were asking for ex-colliers. Both of my wifes parents are now deceased so it would be nice to share the memories of my late father in law around the remaining family members.

Guest Noise Heat Power

I'm suddenly very keen to see this as I've just read the novel. It's pretty good, though Barry Hines sometimes strikes me as being a bit simplistic as a writer - I can't help suspecting that the film is probably better, as is the case with 'Kes' I think.

Actually, it's not often you get the chance to say "The film's better than the book" is it?!

As a relatively new resident to Thorpe Hesley, I'm keen to see this production, is it available on DVD or do I have to brave a possiblity of being sold a 'bootleg' from eBay?

For all of you keen to get hold of a copy please check back again this week as I might be able to help

As a relatively new resident to Thorpe Hesley, I'm keen to see this production, is it available on DVD or do I have to brave a possiblity of being sold a 'bootleg' from eBay?

Hi Kanga Welcome to the site and Thorpe Hesley your link is not working will this one help

http://www.thorpeandscholes.org/

Sorry forgot this one.

http://www.sheffieldgalleries.org.uk/cores...arboroughJ3.asp

Hi Kanga Welcome to the site and Thorpe Hesley your link is not working

Link is now working, problems with Tuesday's Microsoft Update release.

Thanks,

That last photo of the street looks like the part of Hoyland Common where Barry Hines grew up . Fitzwilliam st?

BTW Wasnt the film filmed in the Barnsley area ?